View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Arcanum!

Yesterday I bought Arcanum, again....

I first bought it when it was pretty new, I really love that game, but the CD's got scratched or something, didn't wanna work anymore. Anyway, the game was pretty recently released in Sierra's "Best Seller Serie", so it was very cheap! And I do not regret it, I love this game!
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:55 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I finally just uninstalled it to free up space on my rapidly filled 30 gig games partition (where DOES the space go these days?)

It was the second longest installed RPG on my computer (the first is Fallout 2, which is still there). I loved that game...

The two longest installed games on my system of all time are....

Master of Orion II
StarCraft

Both of which I still play on a regular basis (usually during dead times between hot CRPG releases. )

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I loved Arcanum ... someday I'll even get to finish it <grin>.

@Xen - Master of Orion II???? I still have the original installed. Somehow I liked the flavor sooo much more. In MOO2 there is a racial trait something like "inventive" or "creative" that allows access to every technology. I found that very, very unbalancing. If I didn't take it, I'd feel I'd cheated myself, and if I did take it I felt I was cheating.

But I am glad that you enjoyed it ... I just kinda ruined it for myself.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:20 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, anyone that is still playing and could tell me where i can find a black robe for my "evil" mage?
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:53 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I also liked this game. However I played it trought only once.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:15 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Re: Arcanum!

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Yesterday I bought Arcanum, again....

I first bought it when it was pretty new, I really love that game, but the CD's got scratched or something, didn't wanna work anymore. Anyway, the game was pretty recently released in Sierra's "Best Seller Serie", so it was very cheap! And I do not regret it, I love this game!

Where in the sweet name of Jesus did you find it? Everywhere I look, it's listed for over $20.00.

AARGH! Those poo-guzzling rats haven't released it in the US, yet!

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:49 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Muhahaha, I live in Sweden.

Anyway, i bought it for about 120 Swedish crowns, that is like 12 US Dollars... pretty cheap for a great game.
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:23 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I just got the game, and thus far I think it’s really good. But I have a question, if technology and machinery make magic weaker, than does than mean that mages can’t use indoor plumbing?
“Sorry Jim I can’t cast that spell for you right now, I just used the toilet.”
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:39 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

@Roach- LOL! A good question...

I tried playing the game with several different character types- a mage, a techie, and a balanced ogre swordsman. I got the furthest with the swordsman, although he gained levels too quickly. Playing the mage was OK, but I really had a problem with not being allowed to give schematics to the dwarf RPC you pick up early in the game. Actually, I had the same problem when I played a techie. I wanted to dovetail my skills with those of my RPCs, but it never did work out well. Although it was a decent game, I never managed to finish it.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:45 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Ok, now I have a real question. Is there someone in Tarrant who can identify items? I’m carrying a whole bunch of magical items that, short of going back to Shrouded Hills, I don’t know what to do with.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There's a wisewoman at the "bottom" of the town map. She's a ways to the "right" of the docks. That iso view makes north and south a little meaningless, so I hope those directions will help....
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:46 pm
MadPriest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hope they make a sequel!

ARCANUM RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:47 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra

@Xen - Master of Orion II???? I still have the original installed. Somehow I liked the flavor sooo much more. In MOO2 there is a racial trait something like "inventive" or "creative" that allows access to every technology. I found that very, very unbalancing. If I didn't take it, I'd feel I'd cheated myself, and if I did take it I felt I was cheating.

Taking Creative is a very, very painful thing to do. Playing on Impossible it's a good way to lose (not that you need a good way to lose playing impossible. Any slighest error or miscalculation will result in your empire being destroyed.) First off... get the last patch released... it makes creative 8 points instead of six, which matters a LOT. Second it puts in things like ship initiative and such... the attacker doesn't always go first (it's based on engine and combat speed). It makes battles more challenging.

MOO3 is supposed to be coming out next month. Can't wait to try it.

I didn't like the massive ship management aspects of MOO. I preferred MOO2's streamlined combat. Instead of 500,000 scouts attack something you had fleets of maybe 8 ships. Of course that's during normal play. If you enter a non-agression pact with the last alien race and play two hundred turns and THEN attack him... it's funny. They'll have fleets of 60 or 70 ships. Which is a lot in MOO2.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:54 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I disliked Arcanum, and took it off my pc after like a week. Maybe I didnt try hard enough, but my two main observances that really ticked me off were-
#1- There was no point in researching ballistic weaponry, the guns in that game from what I saw are woefully underpowered.I made a gun toting dwarf, and got my head handed to me repeatedly while pumping lead into the enemy. Reminds me of the weak-ass handguns from Vampire:The Redemption

#2- traveling to other areas was practically impossible for me. Every time I had to get from point A to B on the big map, Id get hit with some random encounter that would completely wipe me out every time. EVERY time. At least in the Fallout games, you were able to have some chance of going to another area without being ambushed by alot of heavy hitters early on. I couldnt get to any of the quest towns under 15 tries. I finally gave up and played something I had a chance of getting some actual playtime in, my time is too valuable to be spent looking at a loading screen for hours while i resurrect my stupid underpowered dwarf again.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:46 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Ok, I have another question. If you’re scarred by an animal is there any way to get rid of it?
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next