Training Skills Tricks
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Siphax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Training Skills Tricks

These are pretty obvious tricks, but lots of people are posting about how/where to train their various skills so I thought I'd chime in.

Weapon Skills

The best way to train these is to use the lowest damage weapon you can find in the class you are training. Why low damage? Because advancing your skills is related to how many times you succesfully use them, NOT how many kills you get. So if a low-damage weapon takes three hits to kill a mud crab and a high-damage weapon takes one hit, you'll gain three times the "experience" for killing the same number of crabs with the low-damage weapon.

I'm planning on enchanting a weapon that actually heals the target on touch to see if I can use it for unlimited target practice. When I hit, I both damage and then heal the target!

Magic Skills

Create "training spells" with the spellmaker. A training spell is a very low-effect spell that costs only 1 point to cast and is easy to cast no matter how low your skill. For example, if you want to train Illusion, make a spell in the spellmaker that gives you 1 point of cameleon for 1 second. Cast it over and over as you walk around and your skill will rise. Again, the key is that number of successes raises your skills, so casting a 1 point spell is just as good as casting a spell that wastes all your magicka in one shot.

Armor Skill

Put on the highest durability armor of the type you want to train and then get surrounded by monsters. As they beat you down your skill will rise quickly. Don't forget to bring the helaing potions/spells!

Athletics/Acrobatics

For Acrobatics you can jump around alot, but it takes a while to raise it that way. Instead, try jumping off of a building (silt strider platforms work well). You can take damage when you land, but your skill will skyrocket. For Athletics, running everywhere and swimming underwater when possible seem to work fine.

These principles work for other skills as well, just remember that successes are the key to rasing skills. Post any tricks that you may have for raising skills!

Siphax
Post Thu May 30, 2002 12:18 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

As far as acrobatics are concerned, I found the Stilt Strider platform in Balmora to be optimal height. High enough to receive "fall from heights" bonus and nothing higher will give you bigger bonus. It also has 2 stairways up, so you can keep doing 8s up and down. Jump up the set of stairs, and without stopping jump off. In the same motion, aim for the next set of stairs and jump up those. With this technique, acrobatics is without a doubt the fastest skill to raise in the game. Even as a Misc skill, it raises faster than any Major or Minor skill.

For security, it's been menioned in another thread. Just cast a very low level lock on a chest/closet/door (which is good for practicing your magic as well) and then unlock it.

Stealth, just go into sneak mode behind some NPC and take your dog for a walk or go watch your favourite TV show. When you come back, it will have risen (very slow at first, but it increases after you raise your skill).

Athletics can be done the same way. Just find a corner, go into auto-run (will need to figure a way to jam your run key) mode and start running. Take a dog for a walk, go watch your fav TV show,... When you come back, your skill may or may not have risen. It takes a LONG time to rise your athletics skill.

About weapons, remember that the longer you hold your attack button, the more charge you get into your swing. So, make sure you just jab quickly, rather than do monster swings. As already pointed out, you get points for successful hits, not for damage inflicted or skill level of your target.

Speechcraft... well, just keep admiring them... then bribe them when they start looking down upon you... then keep admiring some more. 10 gold bribes work wonders up to 70 points of "liking." Above 70 points they will be insulted with 10 gold so don't bother. Just raise their disposition to 70+ then admire until it falls back down to 30, then bribe couple of times and repeat.

Merchantile craft... I just did some testing with this one. Unlike most other skills, this one doesn't work just based on success rate. It actually works on percentages. So, greater the bargain you get, more this skill will rise. If you are selling 100 septims worth of stuff and you bargain for 101 septims, you'll get 1 point to your merchant skill. If you bargain (successfully) for 110 septims, you'll get 8 points (actual number you get depends on your current skill and other factors). So, it actually pays off to over-bargain then keep decreasing the value until they agree. You'll take some penalty on their disposition towards you, but who cares. Just leave and come back in a bit and it'll reset.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 4:24 pm
Dave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Great tricks fellas. I was going to suggest some of my own, but you've got them all covered.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 5:09 pm
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Shouldn't this be in the spoiler section? And BTW i posted a near full guide on all skills in there a few weeks ago.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:20 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

You don't need to jam the Shift key to "Auto-Run," rather the Caps Lock key, pressed once, will do.
Post Thu May 30, 2002 10:23 pm