Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it just me? Or is this game too easy.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Anrath

Is it just me? Or is this game too easy.

Well I am sure I will be flamed but despite all the hype of this game it's really a game with great promise but comes up short.

The basic problem is that the game is just too EASY!

And no I am not one of those power-gamers that is only interested in leveling and finishing the game in the shortest amount of time. But the crew at Bethesda made a game with an incredibly glaring flaw....they made the quest to become a god-like character attainable. Even though that is what we strive to be from the moment that we draw our first weapon, the thing that keeps the player wanting to come back for more is that struggle to become god-like not actually succeding.

I knew this was quite obvious when I was around level 16 and was able to enter the most dangerous dungeons, attain much of the games best armor,
and walk the world basically without fear.

Im sitting here scratching my head wondering what the reasoning was behind the design of being able to have a level 20 character that that is basically without struggle now, when there are still another possible 50 levels of gameplay. I mean did anyone there actually play this game before it was released.

Now dont get me wrong, this is a great game on many aspects. And I can even put up with the horrible NPC AI and the kamikaze rats and cliff racers, all games have their downfalls but I am talking on a basic level the game is just horribly balanced in favor of the player.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:22 am

Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Bethesda has indicated this will be fixed in the patch. These posts have been posted way too much, so cool down and just wait.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:29 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You can download several plugins (mods) that will affect difficulty. Some of them are really nice and complex. I think that you are not only one who thinks this (that is why there is several such plugins).
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:31 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Dont forget to backup your savegames. Some mods will cause damage to them, since the makers made some errors. Or just wait for the patch.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:04 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Also, something to not forget, unlike most other RPG games, where all creatures are of preset level, in MW the critters you meet adjust to your current level (I think the range is +/- 2 from your level). What that means is, if you find something easy to kill now, it does not mean it will be so easy to kill 10 levels from now. Why? Because it will be 10 levels higher as well. Its attacks will benefit from 10 levels of increase. But if you already have all the best armor in the game, that means your armor will remain the same. So, you'll have a critter that's 50% stronger, but your armor is still the same. As are your weapons. So, in theory, you'll be going against a much stronger opponent, while you will only be stronger in your skill, rather than equipment (which currently makes you quite uber).

Leveling in MW is not always a good thing. It is easier to attain the god-like status in this game with lower level than with higher level.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:51 pm

IT being difficult depending on level is only true if oyu make an acrobat or somethign and force levelling upto 20 or so by jumping and running around and not focusing on anything else, the levelled monsters spawning never go beyong the level of 20, so if you find the game easy by then it won't become harder

Sme charactertypes can have incredible problems at this level still though, but if you have primary skills in long blade and mediumlight or heavy armor or some other weaponskills than shortblade it will quite fast become easy as these reach 70+

My assassin character had quite some problems with a few things after 30 even when wearing chitrin and using daggers, but switching to longblades and wearing glass you can just push anything over

The other problem than your skills I suspect is that there's too much phat lewt laying strewn around for anyone to just grab without any risk
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 4:59 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It also depends on the race you choose. A Redguard is easy, a Breton is harder, at least that's my experience.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:58 pm

I have run into npc's that actually play with me before they kill me. Had a whole dungeon of warriors and casters to fight and it wasnt easy. that was when my war was lvl 20. Now i am playing a High elf sorcer. Had to go back to my caster roots just wanted to try a war.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:13 pm

some guy

The items you find in this game are overpowered. Whatever happened to the time when you actively had to ask people about artifact rumors? That made finding these items worth it. And plus you could only have one artifact in Arena (Auriel's Shield was all you needed in Arena though). What they need to do is make things like that crazy robe impossible to find.

On another note, even if you drop your badass equipment, the game is still too easy. I dropped my Lord's Mail and had a defense of under 30 and still I didn't have too much trouble with ascended sleepers.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:38 am

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
A Redguard is easy, a Breton is harder,

The magicka resistance on the Breton makes them by far, the most powerful race in the game...
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:55 am
iloveplywood

Not to keep this rather exhausted topic alive, but I've just started playing Morrowind and have toyed with the idea of not allowing myself to take potions while in combat. It just seems sort of cheap that I can just load up on heals and restore magicka potions and guzzle them while fighting. Two questions: Will this have much of an effect on the difficulty level of the game? And relatedly, is this even possible or would it make the game to tough?

Just thought I'd see what the experts here think.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:00 am

Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

quote:
Originally posted by iloveplywood
Not to keep this rather exhausted topic alive, but I've just started playing Morrowind and have toyed with the idea of not allowing myself to take potions while in combat. It just seems sort of cheap that I can just load up on heals and restore magicka potions and guzzle them while fighting. Two questions: Will this have much of an effect on the difficulty level of the game? And relatedly, is this even possible or would it make the game to tough?

Then create a mod that makes all the potions EXPENSIVE like in some other rpgs and give food some nutritional, but weak healing properties.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:12 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by iloveplywood

I do not thing it will have big effect. I do not use potions during fights... And you do not need to create mod or something, just do not do it :].
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:10 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
I do not thing it will have big effect. I do not use potions during fights... And you do not need to create mod or something, just do not do it :].

I'm guessing you're not facing opponents with heavy daedric weapons who will knock you down, hit you once as you get up, then knock you down again... oh, AND you've taken a few hundred damage without being able to retaliate.

I think then you'd chug a potion (or 3). Or die horribly. Decisions, decisions...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:02 pm

You can use potions in combat?

I never did and it's still easy
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:29 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next