Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
radioman970
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

LOL

This thread is a hoot! But...why in sam hill are we all reading and writing this crap instead of playing the damn game? I have an excuse...waiting on a GF4Ti4600 to come in the mail!!!!!!!
Post Sat May 04, 2002 10:15 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Danicek, there is a huge different from 30 to anything above 50. Im sure of that since i tested most of the games that is avalible. On different computers and in different settigns. I can accept like 40 fps, but no less.

Rawis, film is 24 frames per second and video is 29.9 frames per second. Both of these fool the eye flawlessly.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast

Last edited by Gig on Tue May 07, 2002 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 05, 2002 3:50 pm
Baron

Gig: This is true, but that is due to the way video and film display the frames, it makes it easier for the eye to blend the images together to create the impression of smoothness. Computer games on the other hand, due to the way they display the frames on the screen are not the same as movies, and therefore you can very much tell a difference between 30, 40 and about up to 80 fps.

And also, having 30 fps in average for an RPG may be fine for some people, but the problem is it doesnt stay at 30fps the whole game, and it will drop to below 10 in complicated areas or fight scenes, which is not fine for most people.

And people with high end systems that don't run this game right, tweak your driver settings or try different drivers before you say its morrowind causing the problem, because most likely it isnt.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:39 pm

Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Maybe I am too old school, I am running this game on a p2 350 with an 8 meg rage pro, with 224 mb ram, I am forced to walk so far, as the game locks when I try to take a silt strider. I have no idea what my fps is, nor do I care. The rain brings my system to it's knees, it is as slow as a shooter on the 8-bit Nintendo. I do notice that I can run, only problem I have had is loading small areas with enemies close to the entrance, they tend to wack me a few times before I can even move.

But, I sure as heck love this game, it will just take me much longer to play through it. And no, I don't have the money to buy 1500 bucks worth of upgrades, or a new machine with every fancy option, though I am getting a radeon and maybe a p3 upgrade.

Sometimes I make do with what I have, and it works. Just a little humour from me.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:53 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Bored

Playing first person shooters online accurately is possible at 12fps, anywhere between 20-30 is comfortable. Anyone moaning about anything over 30fps on a single player offline RPG.... is a) an intellectual cripple.... b) a spoiled bastard.... c) a picky twat.... d) someone with an eye disorder (completely understandable).... e) or simply a chopper(TM)

Glad this thread is still going, gives me somewhere to vent my frustration while I'm bored and waiting for my copy to reach me.

Somnus (again, not at his best)
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:53 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Baron

And also, having 30 fps in average for an RPG may be fine for some people, but the problem is it doesnt stay at 30fps the whole game, and it will drop to below 10 in complicated areas or fight scenes, which is not fine for most people.snt.

Yes, I know this, but I think the Rawis' post I quoted said nothing under 40 fps is acceptable. I took that to mean that 40 is the lowest the frame rate can drop. I wasn't talking about average frame rates, I was talking about minimum frame rates.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast

Last edited by Gig on Sun May 05, 2002 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:06 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

To MamoVaka

I understand your frustration. You have a high end system and the game is slow for you. It is apparently slower than for most of the guys with average systems.

Now, this should give you something to think about, shouldn't it? Maybe there is some msiconfiguration on your side. Believe me, 3DMark benchmark seldom correlates with game performance - and this is most true for Morrowind. This game is processor intense. Not so much depending on the graphics card. A good card helps, but it doesn't work wonders.

I have run Morrowind with a Geforce 3 Ti 200 and a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 which I borrowed over the weekend. There is a noticeable difference, but the difference in 3DMark would be about 70%, whereas in Morrowind it is about 25%. This again proofs that processor is more important (and with my 1300/100, this IS the bottleneck).

And why is it so slow on your system? Hm. Have you maxed out everything? If so, know that NO system today can run Morrowind in its full glory. You have to make compromises. Experiment. Change settings. In the game and with the OS and the video card.

BTW - the Morrowind boards at the official site aren't flooded by people with problems. This is wishful thinking on your side. They are simply flooded (and their server is crap).
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:07 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
P.S. If you are getting less then 10750 stock on a ti4600 with a athlon xp 1800+ or higher your system is very poorly configured which would explain your horrible performance.

You have no idea what you're talking about....the highest recorded 3Dmark score is 10756. Stock anything above 9000 is good.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:22 pm

Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'm sick and tired of everyone kissing ass and saying "its not bethsada its your computer config" BS BS BS! developers should make the game run nice and smoth on the highest end system, this is a disgrace, reminds me of Tribes 2 when it came out not one computer could run it full detail.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 8:14 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Stiler: THINK please. HUNDREDS of people run it with a POOR system with NO probs. If you maintain your pc properly, you will have not that many probs. It has nothing to do with ass-kissing, just common sense.

If a p3 1000/GF3/256mb runs fine, then a high end pc wont cause problems.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 8:42 pm
Somnus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You utter nonce

Stiler: When 99% of people are 'kissing ass' as you put it, and are finding it to run smoothly, while just 1% are finding the fps objectional. It points less at the game being wrong, and more towards you being a complete knobend. Which I'm sad to say, is confirmed by your last, rather paranoid, post.

Black_Lord: You own. It's pity more people on this forum aren't like you. Respect is due, keep up the good work.

To those people still moaning about their fps: Take a page out of Black_Lord's book, if he can play it with a 350mhz and 8 meg card without bitching, the least you sausage-jockeys can do is stop griping about everything.

Somnus
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:12 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

If no one is having problems then why is the low fps issues the biggest post in all the morrowind forums? eh thoght so.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:33 pm

quote:
quote:
P.S. If you are getting less then 10750 stock on a ti4600 with a athlon xp 1800+ or higher your system is very poorly configured which would explain your horrible performance.

You have no idea what you're talking about....the highest recorded 3Dmark score is 10756. Stock anything above 9000 is good.
lol, considering I personally have gotten 12,350 on my P4 box, and get 10777 on this box you are obviously the one who doesn't know what they are talking about. UNless of course you are using the old version of 3D Mark, which you probably are.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:45 pm

all i know is im running a p4 2.0 with only a geforce2 64mb and i get 18-22 fps in this game at 1024 but get 60-70 fps in Jediknight2 with the same resolution and full graphics..
Bugthesda has been this way all the way back to wayne gretsky hockey in the early 90s...
Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:54 pm

Well, I said this about Bethesda's "Battlespire," but Morrowind is nowhere near the level of choppiness as Battlespire was. Just turn down some of the detail in the game and it will run much better for you. If you can't stand 15 - 30 frame rates then go back to playing Quake 3.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:56 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next