Gothic 2 - awfully hard to play!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Monarch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 - awfully hard to play!

Is it me or is it really hard to fight in Gothic 2? I just started, I got out of the tower, and found a cave with some psider creatures, and darn - they raped me so fast!
I do try to move, I beat Blade Of Darkness, but its still way too hard...
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:19 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

at first don't take on powerful enemies and try to take the poor SOBs in youar way one at a time and no the fighting is challnging part of the game fun in my opion
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Re: Gothic 2 - awfully hard to play!

quote:
Originally posted by Monarch
Is it me or is it really hard to fight in Gothic 2? I just started, I got out of the tower, and found a cave with some psider creatures, and darn - they raped me so fast!

Some gaming magazines, or rather their readers, mentioned the same "flaw" in Gothic 2, stating that the fights were too hard in the beginning. But people are spoiled, they exepect to kill everything on first sight. BUT in Gothic running away is a valid option in fights. So.. run away! Sooner or later your pursuers will stop following you, or you meet guards that take care of them.
Be careful with new monsters, and if you can't beat something the first time, don't worry, you will be back.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:37 am
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Maybe there used to games where you can only go to area's where you can beat the creatures.
While in Gothic you can go everywhere you want to go, the only thing standing in your way are powerfull creatures that will kill you.

I went into a forest (dropped in from a ledge near Niclas) when an orc in full metal armor attacked me.
I know that it whas an orc and it looked like ringmail armor, but before i got a good look or could draw my blade he killed me in 1 blow.
Now i want to find out what is whas but i can't because i'm to weak. It is fun, gives you something to look forward to.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:30 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It will also help to learn some "tricks". There are some simple combat moves that are surprisingly effective. For example, when the monster gets within range swing your sword to the left. When the sword finishes it's arc (basically resting over your left shoulder), swing to the right, then back to the left etc. If you time this right the sword will always be in motion and most monsters won't be able to get an attack in.
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:12 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
It will also help to learn some "tricks". There are some simple combat moves that are surprisingly effective. For example, when the monster gets within range swing your sword to the left. When the sword finishes it's arc (basically resting over your left shoulder), swing to the right, then back to the left etc. If you time this right the sword will always be in motion and most monsters won't be able to get an attack in.

That's one rather "dirty trick," it can work wonder to defeat enemy that more powerfull than you. They just can't reach you!.

I even found dirtier way to kill a Troll, which make them practically just standing there while i keep waving my sword gleefully .

Last edited by Remus on Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:06 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

i think what makes gothic feel extremly intresting.,is the fact, you never know whats lurking behind next corner.

xerox: same thing happened to me also and yeap it was an orc, but not just the ordinary orc warrior
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:07 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

"cough" orc elite "cough"
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:00 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Oh, Orc Elites! I just hate them! I'm level 24 with Light Dragon Hunter's Armor, and they kill me in 4 or 5 blows anyway! A single Orc elite is like 3 or 4 'ordinary' Orc Warriors!

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:43 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, battles can be tough once in a while. I used the 'lurke them near other NPCs and let them fight'-strategy quite often in the game. Also, that way you learn that you'll die within no time if you simply keep swinging your sword (or whatever weapon) instead of trying to parry, dodge and counter. The difficult fights one encounters once in a while make the game a lot more intense though. It's really thrilling to walk through a forest at night when you know that a strong beast or skeletons could be right around the next corner. Or walking near the orc camp and hearing all of a sudden the typical war cry which indicates that a bunch of them has spotted you.
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:21 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i say u this only one time if u have palyed Gothic 1 and finished it like 2-3 times (me finished it 6 times ) then its pretty easy allready u can basicly kill every beast what hits u with a weapon ( orcs , elite orcs , skelets) but u need to know ur skills and u need to know the AI my record was onze that i killed with a club a high Skelet not the paladin one but the high one with one glove and 2 handed sword every single creature has his own moves. And if u weak u need to fight with him loong time
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:36 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Timing is often the key in a fight. If you time it correctly, one hit can be deadly. I only have 40 STR (enhanced) and 30 1H but I kill bloodflies with one hit and wolves and field crawlers with no more than 2. I think having played G1 helps.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:22 am
hellsp4wn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i agree with dhruin .. i have become almost imortal with the swinging of the sword (read dhruin post above) ... train those movements and you will be very effective on a combat .. those orcs elite wont hit once in a battle , use the swing timing to hit him when he raise his axe to atack ...
if you are planning to be a fighter you can put your learning points on strenght to reach 60 as fast as you can, put the ring of 5 strenght (leave khorinis to the east, take road to right toward tavern .. on a plateau on your left you will find some bones and this ring ...) and the amulet of 15 strenght (kill jester on thieves guild and get his key .. open chest behind door in sewers to get it ) so you will have 80 points on strenght . go to that cave with 2 shadow warriors (coming from black troll to the circle of sun you will find this cave on your right behind some trees) .. kill them and get the dragon slicer sword (80 dmg , 80 strenght) so now you can kill everybody ...
get a crossbow to gain some levels in the beggining of the game... its so much easier to kill those field raiders with it ...
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:48 am
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

1) monsters are supposed to be tougher than you earlier on.
Makes for some tense gameplay. I used to sneak past sleaping
shadowbeasts, just to get the treasure in their vicinity...

2) The combat in G2 is really good. It's not just a combination of the right sword and enough strength. It also comes down to using the right combo's
and timing. I killed a lot of orcs in ch2, gaining heaps of exp.
With the right timing they hardly hit you
Post Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:24 pm
hellsp4wn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i am so disapointed with those dragons you know ... during chap 1 and chap 2 i had great battles against skeletons, shadow warriors and shadowbeasts etc ... but the dragons were killed so easy, i expected to drink tons of potions, run as a crazy dog but it was completely different . ..they died so fast .. you hit them once, they fly and land near you, hit him again and it just does the same ..
i realize tha i was wearing an amulet of great power and stuff but they could be more challenging, dont you think ???
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:36 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next