FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Nothing gothic about Gothic!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

What the heck?
There is nothing "gothic" about this game, so why the heck they call it that?
This came is not much different from Evil Islands as far as fantasy-setting goes.

It's not even really medieval, but more of a post-Stone Age/pre-Medieval setting, considering how primitive everyone is running around in animal furs and leather butt-flaps.

More similar to the "Beastmaster" (the syndicated TV show) than some kind of generic AD&D/Tolkien gone-goth, type deal.
No wonder the music has the "bongo/jungle-ish" sound to it.

I kept waiting for Fred Flintstone or maybe some cro-magnon cannibal-caveman with painted faces to make an appearance at some point in the game, felt like they were the only thing missing from the "atmosphere" and "setting".

No one has corpse-paint on, no black clothes, or dark and salacious vampire/whatever creatures of the night, etc.
Even the weapons lack "gothic" personality (if not personality entirely: I mean, a sword called "Sword of Death" SHOULD LOOK like a "sword of death", and not like a typical looking sword you find laying around or in some cheap shop.).
Where the heck they get off calling this gothic?
I mean, none of the buildings really have "gothic" architecture either, they are mostly late stone-age era wood and adobe huts!
WEAK!

Nothing gothic about Gothic!
Lame!

I am going to make a game called "European" but for some reason, it's going to be an FPS about a rogue futuristic weird alien soldier (in the future) from the planet Zarkon 1 million years in the past in a galaxy far away. Gothic creators probably think this sounds great.
I have another idea for a game called "Space Age" which is an RTS game about feuding, primitive tribes in ancient Africa.
It makes no sense, I know, but I'm eccentric. Gothic creators probably love this one too.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:00 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hmm... Space Age? I like it! They are fighting over 'space', which is the point of every RTS.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:08 am
Gizben
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Shouldn't buy a game because you want to see some people running around in black sweat pants

Besides, didnt you take a look at the pictures on the back of the box?

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:14 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am afraid you interpretaion of the word Gothic is rather urbane and short-sighted. The word Gothic, derived from the Goths, ever hear of them? That would have to be it. I doubt if you read much. The Goths, eastern Germanic tribes who overan large parts of Europe and contributed to the fall of the Roman Empire. Gosh, and they wore animal skins. Considering that the developers of the game are from Germany. Maybe
they have a little clearer understanding of why this name was chosen. It makes perfect since to me. Maybe you should do a little more research,
(not likely), in the future, before you go frothing off at the mouth.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:02 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Goth·ic (gthk)
adj.

Of or relating to the Goths or their language.

Germanic; Teutonic.

Of or relating to the Middle Ages; medieval.

Of or relating to an architectural style prevalent in western Europe from the 12th through the 15th century and characterized by pointed arches, rib vaulting, and a developing emphasis on verticality and the impression of height.
Of or relating to an architectural style derived from medieval Gothic.

Of or relating to painting, sculpture, or other art forms prevalent in northern Europe from the 12th through the 15th century.
often gothic Of or relating to a style of fiction that emphasizes the grotesque, mysterious, and desolate.

Barbarous; crude.
---
I think it fits ok.

quote:

It's not even really medieval, but more of a post-Stone Age/pre-Medieval setting, considering how primitive everyone is running around in animal furs and leather butt- flaps.

Wow, that's way off. What game are you playing? Take a look at Thorus, my boy. Many people are dressed rather elegantly. What do you think they wore in the middle ages? Polyester? It was mostly coarse wool and the like, and yes, fur.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:36 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I have to admit that the game's title actively prevented me from buying it. Hadn't my hubby bought it for me for Christmas because a shop clerk (who has quite a good taste in RPGs, by the way) convinced him of doing so, I would never have played it and missed one of the most important games in the last years.

Yes, 'gothic' conjures visions of camp bloodsuckers and affected ladies. Yuck!!! I was really glad this game is somewhat more down-to-earth. And it even has the painted tribal guys you missed, ever saw an Orc shaman ?

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:42 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Blah, another anon troll again I bet this anon and his so called space game rocks, NOT!

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:03 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

...I take it his 'space game' was a try at sarcasm, Bigpapa... and I thought it was funny .

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-11 05:35 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:34 am
CarnalSalvation
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

He's right though, the title does totally blow.
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:54 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Another thing too, If you go to art school, you will study a style called Gothic.

Hmmm... It refers to a specific type of medieval European design, generally typified by spikey architecture with sharp tapers, gargoyles and so on. I suppose that's why it's called Gothic architecture. Nope... can't see what that has to do with Gothic.

Oh... BTW, the style was around way before vampires in Al-lay hijacked the term to describe their sub-culture (which I actually happen to like, sorry Jaz ).

So... I guess the title doesn't actually "blow", it certainly never mislead me. I just don't think of the LA Goths when I hear the word Gothic... sorry.

Hey, does anyone else wonder if this is the same nony who has posted this same topic about two other times?

This actually reminds me that I wanted to bring something up in RPGDOT.

[ This Message was edited by: Gig on 2002-04-11 06:37 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:57 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Anonymous - I'd be interested in your motivation to spend 30 minutes of your life to say: "Gothic isn't gothic, and I didn't like the game" in a gazillion words, and adding another ton of them to describe how "un-european" a game called "European" could be made.

I think this is the standard broccoli problem: some like it, some don't.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:31 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh Gig, no need to be sorry, many of my local friends are Goths . It's just that I'm not into the camp stylishness of some of the different sub-castes, too 'girlish' for my unrefined tastes, and that's what I primarily think of when I hear the word 'Gothic'. I dolike the looks of a Gothic subdivision, though... the EBM society is much to my liking.

=EDIT=
I HATE broccoli !

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-11 06:36 ]
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:35 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I like broccoli, other than the name, which for some odd reason puts my mind to E-coli! Spinich, on the other hand, makes me wretch. Oh... and mayonnaise, yuck!

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-04-11 06:43, Gig wrote:
I like broccoli, other than the name, which for some odd reason puts my mind to E-coli! Spinich, on the other hand, makes me wretch. Oh... and mayonnaise, yuck!

Reminds me of something. Was it really that funny for you americans when, in Pulp Fiction, Travolta explained Jackson that a quarterpounder is called 'royal' here and europeans take mayonnaise on their french fries?
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:59 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:

On 2002-04-11 06:59, Gorath wrote:
Reminds me of something. Was it really that funny for you americans when, in Pulp Fiction, Travolta explained Jackson that a quarterpounder is called 'royal' here and europeans take mayonnaise on their french fries?

Ummm... I never saw Pulp Fiction, but your retelling isn't sparking my funny bone. I'm probably not the best judge though, I don't like that director... Quentin Tarantino (I had to look up his name, sorry).

He was in two episodes of Alias recently, though, playing a rogue CIA agent. I really liked him as an actor, the only film of his that I've ever seen is Reservoir Dogs and I hated it.

Mr. Tarantino is popular though, someone else can probably answer your question better than I can. C'mon Tarantino fans, I know you're out there!

My favorite director is (was) Stanley Kubrick, I was heartbroken when he died.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next