View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Squeetard
And I certainly wasn't picking on your lack of imagination Shrapnel, I mean, look at your Avatar, beautiful man! But where is his dick? I bet you left it out because it might be censored at some boards....

Nope, this was made for me by Danicek many moons ago when we were all over-analyzing Gothic

I'll put this topic to bed by saying no matter what the preferences are of each gamer, the only thing that really factors in when a company decides to make a game is the bottom line (ie profits). Could they have made this game with death moves, scantily clad women and profanity, sure.
Would it have sold as many copies, no way.
In fact, I'd probably be on every single board in these forums singing the praises of this game if I hadnt seen/played Gothic first.
However as many of the US Gothic fans know, the game barely made a peep over here, and finding it in the stores was like finding a needle in a haystack. But the entire theme and feel of that game was like no other I'd ever played in 20+ yrs of RPGing. Gritty, very gritty.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:51 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Look at it from the devlopers point of view.If its teen they sell more copies and they know somebody will mod a realistic mod:)
As for how may games have i played id say hundreds as im 33 and have been playing rpgs for ages:)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:01 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

just a few years older than myself
Have you played Gothic? And of the two which did you enjoy playing more?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:06 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yep im about 3/4 way through gothic and it everything u9 should of been.In fact the two combined would of been incredible.
Its too early to say which one i prefer but im well into morrwind having been a fan since arena.
Its very good and the kiddie bit doesnt bother me as it means i can play it with my 3 yr old son as long as i dont go to any scary parts:)
Give me about a month and ill have an answer for you:)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:13 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I love both games. However, if nailed to a wall threatening my manhood with red hot pokers or something I would confess to prefering Morrowind (actually, I would confess to whatever game they wanted me to confess to... but who wouldn't? ). Deeper story. A lot more story. A lot more character options. A lot less linearity.

Compared to Gothic YES Morrowind's character animations are childish at best and its NPCs are pathetic. But Morrowind has enough variety of play to maintain solid replay value. Do I miss the death blow animation that made me wince the first time I used it in Gothic? Yes. Do I miss the guys wandering around on regular patrols, sleeping, eating, cooking, taking a leak? Yes. Do I like the character development, story, open ended nature, and extreme ease of modification of Morrowind more than I miss the more 'live' world of Gothic? Yes.

Gothic was a great once through (twice if you wanted a mage, three times if you wanted to try a pure archer, six times if you wanted to do the exact same story except for chapter one from each camp, seven if you wanted to wear light digger armor and use a pickaxe to beat the game like I did. But frankly... since the story doesn't change at ALL could you do it seven times? I did it twice.). MOrrowind has me picking a guild or three and a main quest. Next time I'll grab a great house and a few more guilds. A third time maybe a few more guilds and a different house. There are 5 replays just by the houses alone (though I could see just making a save before joining a house, doing its quests, reloading and doing another house... and just continuing on with whichever one you liked best. But that's why I wouldn't replay JUST for one change in allegiance, which is what Gothic was all about).

If Morrowind is a kid's game then I'm a kid. I guess it's that simple. It doesn't strike me as a kids game (your contact is a self-proclaimed drug addict... ask him about it, there are stripper joints (polygon tits optional), a lot of violence, an assassins' guild, thievery, murder quests, drugs, alcohol, disease). But then maybe I use my imagination too much and put into a game as much it puts out. Morrowind gave me a well defined, well written story with a great graphical background and fun skill and guild system. I filled in the blanks.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:01 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

As an aside, I played briefly with a five year old sitting beside me. He kept jumping and eventually almost started to cry at how scary it was. I blinked, and looked at what I was doing. Slaughterfish were constantly sneaking up and attacking me while I was pearl diving. It wasn't until a five year old got scared that I actually noticed how big slaughterfish's teeth are. I guess them appearing out of the murk in first person, opening those jaws and taking a big chomp to the hiss of my Argonian might be a little scary for a five year old who only plays 'crazy truck' (Twisted Metal) and 'shoot everything' (Duke Nukem).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:06 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah i make sure that when hes watching im in daylight and in normal terrain like outside balmora or near caldera hes not to fond of the water or the sandstorms:)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I was GOING to go ghostbusting... but elected to not further emotionally scar the kid. He wasn't mine but I figured the step-mother (my wife's best friend) would kill me. She gave me the evil eye at supper when he started babbling about 'bad fish', which is the name he decided on for Morrowind. (Originally it was 'funny lizard' because the Argonians walk like Kermit.)

Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:19 pm
entrails
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

LOL kids always make up the best name for things.....
My lad says that the ppl are only sleeping as theres no blood:)
Post Tue May 21, 2002 2:28 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5