Usergroups
Low-end weapons question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok, I take it I need Diggers' Discipline eventually, but I'm too poor to afford it. I came across bunches of swords, a withered ax and, of course, my trusted pickaxe.

My question is, what's the best you can have when you're young and poor? I tried swords, but their reach sucks. Molerats and scavs bite me a lot if I try to beat them down with swords. So far (strangely), I found that the pickaxe is my best choice, despite the guards' warnings.

So, what else is a good low-end whacking stick? Or should I stick with the pickaxe?
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:04 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

If your having trouble with close range combat, you might want to consider a bow. Find a tall place and shoot from above. You can get plenty of experience doing that or doing quests. Then get trained in one-handed weapons. You'll notice a significant difference in your character's combat performance after training.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:45 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Being untrained with a short weapon is really rough early on. But there are several ways to alleviate bein poor VERY early in the game. I mean... yer in a prison colony... so act like a convict .

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:05 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Muggings and are always encouraged! Just do it while the guards aren't watching...
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:09 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

You can acquire a very good 2H weapon at any time you want (very early) for free - 2H weapons have the best reach of all melee weapons. Locate the 2 guards just outside the OC that are guarding an open gate that leads to the Orc lands. Make sure you don't have any ore on you (leave it at home). Go inside being VERY careful. You can attract an Orc (likely also some Orc dogs) - lead them back to the guards (it will require running around some to get the Orcs and dogs to attack the guards). The guards will kill them and you can go pick up the weapons (note you will have to boost strength to use them, but you should do this anyway). The guard MAY attack you after the battle is over, but he won't kill you (this is why I told you to leave your ore at home).

Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:35 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yeah, I will try to get the Ork weapon sometime soon.

As for muggings... I'm so weak and pathetic, boo hoo.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

step 1: get an armour
step 2: invest in strength. 1 str = 1 dam
step 3: convince somebody to sponsor you a serious weapon.

You can get a good 2-handed sword for free in the Sect Camp and an armour in the Free Mine.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:43 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

If you let the orc dogs kill the guards Joey Nipps was talking about, you can get a sword that does, I think 32, damage, that only requires 18 or 19 str. Which means you can use it much earlier than the orc weapons.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:08 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I guess I just need to do some more explorin'. Thanks all for help!

We fight because we must.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:49 pm

You don't want Digger's Discipline. You want on of the swords that they sell inside the castle walls. (WARNING: cheap trick follows) Go to one of the smiths and buy raw steel, forge swords, buy more steel, and forge more swords. Keep doing this until you have too many swords to reasonably count. Trade swords for 1000 ore, and bribe Thorus to get into the castle. Go in to the smith (Skip I think) and buy the best swords...battle blade or something I think. This also allows you to give one of the fire mages the scroll you start out with.
Post Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:01 am