Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2: Add-On Review @ Memba's Game World (German)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Gothic 2: Add-On Review @ Memba's Game World (German)

Memba's Game World has posted a <a href="http://mgw.duke4.de/weiter.php?showpage=reviews/gothic2addon/gothic2addon.php" target="_blank">review</a> of the 'Gothic II' expansion pack 'Die Nacht des Raben' ('The Night of the Raven'). Rating: 90%.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:58 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Is this going to be coming out in America and when? I want to play G2 but i would rather buy both at the same time since the expansion compliments the game. Anyone know? and estimate the release please?
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:00 am
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

I'd recommend you play the game once or twice without the expansion first. Then get the expansion and play the 3rd guild and even the new water mage option (or whatever it is, I can't read german).

This way you maximize the replay value of the game. If you wait for the expansion first, you might be bored of the game before you can attempt it a 3rd time through.

The gogamer version of it works fine for me. It's identical to any american game, I can't tell any difference.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:20 am
Sproutnik

quote:
Originally posted by Ale
I'd recommend you play the game once or twice without the expansion first. Then get the expansion and play the 3rd guild and even the new water mage option (or whatever it is, I can't read german).

This way you maximize the replay value of the game. If you wait for the expansion first, you might be bored of the game before you can attempt it a 3rd time through.

The gogamer version of it works fine for me. It's identical to any american game, I can't tell any difference.

Probably the strangest message I've ever read about a game.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:41 am

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Ale

So, you have the American version? How? The expansion makes the game boring? Howso?
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:21 pm
dagoo77

quote:

quote:
So, you have the American version? How? The expansion makes the game boring? Howso?

While the wording may not have been the most clear, I think the points Ale was trying to make that seemed to have confused some is that:

a. The English/European version of the game he purchased from GoGamer feels and sounds the same as an American game would, not that he's played the American version.

b. If one were to play through the original game two times or more as different faction, one might very well be to tired of the style of gemeplay to then go on and immediately play the expansion. Instead, he seems to be suggesting that he purchase the English version of the original game now and play through a few times, then come back to the game fresh when and if the expansion comes out in English.

Nothing too controversial here.

Hehe. looking backat it, I think my clarification is more confusing than the original post.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:20 pm

elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dagoo77
quote:

quote:

While the wording may not have been the most clear, I think the points Ale was trying to make that seemed to have confused some is that:

a. The English/European version of the game he purchased from GoGamer feels and sounds the same as an American game would, not that he's played the American version.

b. If one were to play through the original game two times or more as different faction, one might very well be to tired of the style of gemeplay to then go on and immediately play the expansion. Instead, he seems to be suggesting that he purchase the English version of the original game now and play through a few times, then come back to the game fresh when and if the expansion comes out in English.

Nothing too controversial here.

Hehe. looking backat it, I think my clarification is more confusing than the original post.

Yes, this is how I read it as well. And I am doing the same thing. I played the English G2 back in June when it came out (ordered it from gogamer). I finished the game twice using different factions.

Since then I have made a concious decision to not play G2 until the expansion comes out in English. Since the expansion changes the original game in MANY ways (not just the adding of new areas), it will be like a whole new game for me.

So what Ale is saying is that if you play G2 now then play it again with the expansion, you will get to experience almost 2 different games.
Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:12 pm
Ale
Village Leader
Village Leader

Sorry to be confusing. Yes, the last 2 posters are correct.

I was speaking in terms of maximizing the replay value of the game. Since I blow though any single player game (50 hour game) in 3 days, I have a big problem with buying anything that isn't a MMORPG.

Gothic is unique. Not only is it probably the best single player game you will ever see, but it offers both a fighter path and a mage path. If you then get the expansion later, you can then enjoy the OTHER fighter path (paladin or merc) without it being redundant and pointless. And the expansion will give you a new path to try also, or so I've heard. That is some serious replay value (unless you don't like the expansion's price).

---

Take for example another great game that has no replay value at all, Arx Fatalis. Arguably the next best game imaginable next to Gothic (if you got the patches), but no matter what you do in the game, it just throws all the top gear at you near the end and you have no other path to try.

I tried to play as an archer in Arx Fatalis and in a mere few seconds later in the game I became the ultimate warrior and killed the final boss with a sword. That is just dumb. Zero replay value.

---

So since Gothic is the best thing you'll see for single player, I recommend you try to maximize the replay value of it as best you can.
Post Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:49 am