Gothic 2: Review @ Gamerz Edge
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 2: Review @ Gamerz Edge

One last article from Gamerz Edge, this time a <a href="http://www.sbgi.net/template/entertainment/gamerz/pc/reviews/gothic2.htm" target="_blank">review</a> of Gothic 2. They weren't too impressed with the controls or the graphics, awarding a score of 6.5/10:<blockquote><em>If somehow you're able to look past the poor battle system and overall movement of your character, you'll be faced with relatively good and varied gameplay. As the nameless hero you'll be able to take your character a variety of directions. After playing the initial part of the game you will be able to make your character into a mercenary, militia soldier, or novice. These three types with enough experience will transition to the more powerful counterparts of Dragon Hunter, Paladin and Magician.</em></blockquote>
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:13 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Anyone who rates ToEE ahead of Gothic 2, doesn't deserve to be read. Somehow, I doubt they really played the whole game. I've played both and there is no comparison. I have yet to completely finish ToEE, I played G2 twice.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:21 am

Parents take note: The idiot monster children you have spawned and ignored, thus enabling them to publish on 'gaming sites' need your loving attention more than ever before - you must lock them up and beat them soundly.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:25 am

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have to agree that the combat in Gothic 2 is terrible, so I bloody hope thay can sort it out for Gothic 3. The actual game itself, I have to say, is pretty damn good.

Unlike ToEE which was a big let down, and horribly buggy. Did I say it was short too?
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:14 am
roqua1

I liked ToEE a lot better than Gothic. I haven't played Gothic 2 yet, and I probably won't seeing that I hear it is a lot like Gothic 1.

ToEE was my favorite game this year and probably in a long time. To each his own.

Fallout 2 wasn't buggy when it was released? I like strategic, turn-based combat. I do not like action twitch combat.

I do not like talky-talky games. I liked Kotor but once through is all I will probably ever play it and I think it was made with a four year old player in mind. I play Toee all the time.

People like different things. My wife loves Zelda and tetris, I like hard core TB rpgs. She thinks I'm a big dork for playing my games. I just can't get into twitch based action games like Gothic or Zelda. I don't like RT rpgs that much either like BG, ext. Because I hardly ever use magic in combat in rt games and look at combat as a chore instead of what sometimes is my favorite part of the game. In action games like Gothic I suck at combat. I have no timing, poor control, and my keyboard and mouse skills stink. Gothic wasn't made for me in mind. Reviewers are stating their opinion, and all opinions are valid I believe.

Just think what would happen if everyone agreed with each other in the world. We would probably have world peace which would lead to gross overpopulation which would rapidly deplete the earth's natural resources and destroy most of the human race and force the few survivors to revert to hunter/gatherers with no technology and no computer games. Is that what we want?
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:23 pm

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Each to their own, but ToEE was a HUGE let down for me...
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:27 pm