Not that good...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Not that good...

my friend bought this game (not you ziBzi ) and we played it together...
i was inpressed by the trailer on the JoWood site, but when i played it, it was a lot different. the graphics were good. but the game was full of bugs (more than Gothic) and that's why there are already 2 patches released.

tell me your experience with this game.
Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

More bugs than Gothic? Thatīs a lot.
My UK version is in the mail.

Afaik 1 patch has been released. A 2nd is announced for Dec. 10th.
Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:36 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I got my german Version yesterday and couldn't even install it without the first patch

It is a great Game, but horrible buggy. There is a good Tutorial, where you start with a female Fighter/Cleric. It crashed when I leveled up and tried to learn the "Bless"-Ability. Tried this two times and again with my own Cleric later, it always crashed.

You need a lot of time for the Maps/Missions. The Gameplay is a Cross between Diablo and the Settlers, so when it crashes, and you haven't saved you might loose a lot of Time. Also when I'm traveling through a portal it tends to crash ... but weren't the bugs, it would be a great Game.

It could have been a earth-shattering Game, but right now it's just a nice Game with a lot of Bugs. I played the whole night from Saturday to Sunday, last time this happend was with Baldur's Gate 2.

Due to the Crashs I decided to stop playing until they release the next Patch.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:32 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

i told you

and the cd-key is almost unreadable, they used a font i've never seen before...
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:01 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In the official forums they say that the game has problems with ati cards but works just fine with nvidia's.

For radeons:

quote:
Dont forget to set ur catalyst driver options ( 3.9 ) to balanced both direct 3d and OpenGL hope it works Whatever u do DONT set it on FSAA or AA it wont run then.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:34 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

From the devs:

quote:
Hi all,

Most of your problems are adressed in the manual
-Interface:
Do a simple CTRL-Leftclick on one Unit and every Unit of the same type gets selected.
-Blood&Gore
Will be patched soon
-If one doesn't like tutorials then simply activate the checkbox "Skip Prologue" when creating the Avatar.
-There are plenty of things one can do while in 3rd Person view. I.e. you may set an follow mode for whole armys; Use the CnF System; Attack, Talk via rightclick.... i refer to the Manual for Details.
-Skirmish:
The Campaign consists of about 100 hours of gaming fun. Furthermore we are working on and discussing new Modes.
-Bad Graphics
I refer to the technical support Forum. There you will find
links to the latest drivers. If you still face problems then please attach a DirectX Diagnose File and a System Info File to your post here. This will help us to deal with your problem immediatly.

Enjoy

quote:
Let me try to address some of your problems ...

- it still looks like it was produced in 1990(I doesn't look one bit like the cover).

We have heard that when Anti-Aliasing is enabled on Ati Radeon Gfx Cards the textures will be a lot less sharp than what they are supposed to be. If you have AA enabled in the Catalyst driver options, please turn it off (setting "standard") and try it again.

To be able to further help you please let me know how the video option settings are configured, and what driver version you have installed.

- The interface. It sucks, it really really sucks. In normal RTS games you can double click a unit, and all units of the same kind(ie. workers) will get selected on screen.. In SpellForce you can't, When you have 10 workers in a group of 50 other units you'll have to find and then manually select every single one of them.

Do a Ctrl+leftclick on the idle worker button (topright of the screen). This will select all idle workers at once. Or Ctrl+leftclick on a worker, this selects all units of this type on the screen.

- The tutorial, don't even get me started. It took me 2 hours to get trough a tutorial, you can't just skip things. While the "commentor" was telling me howto move my Hero(step 1) I was already killing my first goblin, which was step 10 or so. So you can figure my disappointment when I found out the commentor didn't skip tutorials 2 to 9.

You should be able to skip messages (except the ones with yellow text) by pressing RETURN. I believe that is not mentioned in the manual.

- You CANNOT attack in 3rd person mode, all you can do is walk, walk and walk. WTF do I need if for then ?!

Select an enemy and use the click & fight icons on the upper left of the screen to cast spells. In order to issue a melee attack via click & fight you have to stand close to the enemy. The Avatar does not auto-walk in 3rd person. However the Avatar will fight back by himself if he gets attacked.

- No skirmish mode, I went like "W T F !" when I found out about that one.

This will be addressed in the Add-On.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:37 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

There were definetely problems with this game for some, especially for people with Radeon cards. Nevertheless, I would like to mention that the game ran without any problems for me from the beginning (AMD 1800+, GF 4400 TI), even before the patches. It has since locked up once due to the disk-check thingy stalling (stupid copy protections these days) and once while loading a savegame, but other than that it has been rock-solid for many hours. Ther are a few gameplay and quest glitches, but nothing major so far. the multiplayer seems to be more problematic from what I read on the forums, but I havent tried it myself yet.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:22 pm