Microsoft Promises PC Gaming Resurgence @ Next Generation
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Microsoft Promises PC Gaming Resurgence @ Next Generation

It's essentially a hype-job for Vista but Microsoft's <a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2238&Itemid=2" target="_blank">Peter Moore admitted they had dropped the ball</a> on PC gaming while "distracted" and promised better things to come:<blockquote><em>In his DICE session today, Microsoft Games supremo Peter Moore demonstrated Windows Vista, and admitted that the company has been culpable in PC game's decline in retail sales.
<br>Moore said, "It's a dereliction of duty. We've been distracted. It's not helped that the PC market has seen some challenges."
<br>
<br>He said that Microsoft's recent reorganization would help the company "focus on the games business as a standalone business."
<br>
<br>"Previously, we operated under separate units," he said. "Everything is now being brought together to build truly cohesive, integrated marketing."
<br>
<br>"The future is about PC games and Vista is at the vanguard of that."</em></blockquote>I hope they have more than the "better file organization" mentioned in mind.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:26 am
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Actually, PC gaming never died. They were just too busy playing WoW than playing any other single player game.

The new era is the MMORPG era, that is, in gaming.

Vista won't change it, if anything DirectX10 will make MMORPG gaming even worse (As in, everyone would start developing an MMORPG).

quote:
However, he pointed out that online games revenues are increasing dramatically. Worldwide retail game sales in 2005 $3.3 billion compared to $2 billion in online game sales, which includes subscriptions. He said that by 2009 game retail sales would hold steady, but online revenues would increase to a whopping $6.8 billion dollars.

That's only an estimation, they never know what will happen by then as no one can predict the future, just guess or estimate it, but that would still not be true.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:30 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

What a crock o crap.

They only care about selling Vista, this is BS they are only patronizing gamers due the cutting edge usually ends up on our list much faster than main stream or business.

PC gaming is not dead by any stretch but it is their fault they are correct and what are they doing about it, nothing really they are STILL manipulting Devs with Pub dollars, forcing shorter development cycles, less content and certianly lower quality.

So nothing is changed, all they did was accept responablity and said buy our new software, cause it will get you laid.
The only reason they admitted this is cause the very people they are selling to know this to be true and most PC gamers are pissed at the very least about all the console only CRAP!

NWN 2 will CRUSH, MMOG games!
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:39 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Yawn. I hope I'm wrong, but all this really means is PC users will now get more hackneyed X Box 360 console ports than we did than from the original X Box.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:36 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Will independantly made rpgs still run on it? Nothing good coming from either console or big dev rpg makers, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Why does everyone hate MS? I never understood why. Even if you are a MAC fan, MS is the one that kept them alive over and over.

I just don't get it. Oh my God! A company trying to make money! For shame!
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:11 pm

Their idea of a "resurgence" is no doubt console ports and Xbox360/PC multiplatform games

M$ is the worst thing thats happened to gaming that I can recall. They've screwed everything up.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:48 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No, several months ago they talked about things like unified packaging with colour coding, standardized installation procedures and improved compatibility.
This tackles certain big problems the PC market has: 1. lack of marketing and brand recognition compared to consoles, 2. quality issues because games can be patched, etc.

A "certified for Windows Vista" label would make sense if it guarantees certain minimum standards.
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:00 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

I dont think MS has "screwed things up", they just havent gone to the lengths they should have, and theyve had bigger fish to fry than video games. I was checking out some preview type stuff at Gamespot about Vista, and it looks well, interesting. Im apprehensive as I was with XP, yet here I am a few years later, and I cant imagine using anything but XP now.

As far as people "hating" MS, it's just the same old thing that it's always been. Big company bad, little company good, same thing with the World of Warcraft/Guild Wars thing, or anything else.

I chat on a horror movie board, and every Friday they stream a horror film, and we all can chat and watch at the same time, often with the directors and what not there as well. Many times it's a classic such as "Black Sabbath" by Mario Bava or what not, but sometimes it's a Troma type shot on video looking horribly acted, pathetic flick by some indie studio. Well the debate is the same, "yes this film sucks, but it's indie so it's good nonetheless".

That's where I get in a spitting match with people who say such idiocy as " Id rather watch a hundred poorly acted and stupid movies by indie studios than one big budget hollywood sequel or remake". I watch movies and play games for the movies and games themselves, I dont care who makes them, period.

The fact that MS havent focused their software as game-oriented as we'd wish is just the breaks, like I said, theyve definitely had bigger fish to fry than a bunch of people pissed off because there's no good RPGs out. Hopefully Vista is going to help with this, from what Ive been reading at Gamespot, it's looking like theyre taking a look at gaming a bit more seriously now.

But then again, "Gamespot-big-game-site-bad", so were prolly screwed...
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:04 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Even if it's bullshit I like this quote:

"The future is about PC games and Vista is at the vanguard of that."

It's not often you get people at large games companies saying the PC is the future, and that is nice to hear even thoguh it's just promoting a product.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:43 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Of course it will eventually be better than XP, like XP was eventually better than 98.

If I recall, it wasnt till Service Pack 1 till XP finally got it's legs stable running the majority of games better than 98, even then they broke compatablity with many older games, by denying DOS and trying to move away from it, which many said was a mistake.

Cut to 4 years later MS says moving away from DOS was a mistake, now we can bring you more compatiblity with more of a DOS base.

MS is constantly in legal trouble for 20 years, whether it was from Bullying retailers by withholding products if they did not put MS products ahead of the leading competior (in some cases forcing them to stop selling a competitors products, if I recall) to higher crimes like International market manipulation practices to everything inbetween.
Constantly trying to crush smaller startup software compaines whom come up with real innovation, due to not being bogged down by corpratism.
This happens especially European nations it thinks it can push around due to it's size and wealth.

Funny thing is even when MS sits there and admits to doing the exact thing people say they are doing wrong and why, there are still people whom say, Why do people hate MS?, thou no one has said anyting about hate, at least in this thread.

No one denies, well most don't how important they are, but due to MS lust for power and money they can NOT be trusted to make decisions for Humanity on their own.
The problem is they are SO large and have such a huge imprint in the WORLD, what would happen if the company collapses?
Dont know if you keep up with US companies but there was a Huge problem with accounting policies here about 4 years ago, with several of the Largest corps in the US, with some of the biggest going out of business due to market manipulations and then adding to it false accounting.

I can imagine if people do hate MS it would be more the policies than any thing, sorta like despising a Bully whom picks on the weak cause they can not defend themselves.

Not sure if you know this compatablity is going to come at a HUGE cost or not?
DirectX10 is the catch to all this PR talk about how great everything is going to be.

While I dont understand it all yet, so take this as rumor or ignorance
I believe it is something along the lines that we all will have to BUY shiny new DX10 Video (possibly sound, hasn't come up much yet.) cards if we want to play a new DX10 game because DX10 isn't backward compatitble.

Now there is going to be some kind of software emulation (I am guessing) but unless you emulating Backwards (say to play some classic 1990s games) the amount of power necessary to Emulate forward could be huge (ie, a DX9 card would need much more CPU/GPU power to emulate DX10 since it is more advanced).
Unless of course they can find a Universal fix of striping out most of the ne mapping and shaders out of numerous (maybe 20 of the most popular) differnt games engines made by numerous compaines.

Now instead of having dual boot OS, like we do/did when XP came out, or are we going to be requried to have dual boot OSs and 2 differnt video cards to play our favorite classic games from the 80s, 90s, and 2000s?
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:40 pm