Advancing in Circles of Magic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
The Griffin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Advancing in Circles of Magic

Am I correct in assuming that you have to advance a chapter before you can learn a new circle of magic?
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:23 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I don't think so.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:42 pm
The Griffin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hm... then what do you have to do?

I had 80 lp saved up when I became a fire mage... I learned the first circle of magic and was told it was not yet time for me to hit the second. Then I advanced to ch 2 (still with 80 lp) and voila, then I was ready. But I couldn't learn the third circle. By the time I hit chapter 3 I was down 50 lp -- but then I was ready for the third circle...

So what it is you have to do to advance in spell circles, other than having all the skill points you need? Do you need to create a certain number of runes for each circle before you can advance?
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:49 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It's main quest-dependent. Since the major parts of the main quest correlate with the chapters, it's nearly chapter-dependent (with the exception of the 6th circle, you can get that shortly before entering chapter 6 if I recall correctly).
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:04 pm
Furious_Templar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by The Griffin
Hm... then what do you have to do?

I had 80 lp saved up when I became a fire mage... I learned the first circle of magic and was told it was not yet time for me to hit the second. Then I advanced to ch 2 (still with 80 lp) and voila, then I was ready. But I couldn't learn the third circle. By the time I hit chapter 3 I was down 50 lp -- but then I was ready for the third circle...

So what it is you have to do to advance in spell circles, other than having all the skill points you need? Do you need to create a certain number of runes for each circle before you can advance?

It's not in the number of created runes but in chapters.For every circle I created 1 or 2 runes(except 5 and 6 circles which had really good runes to learn) and still learned further circles with every chapter progression.
Post Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:14 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Re: Advancing in Circles of Magic

Not always. You can go up two circles in one chapter once you first become a mage. You can go two circles in Chapter 5. As a matter of fact, Getting from 5th to 6th was so fast that I restored and did it over without wasting points on the 5th circle fire spell. I just got the 6th Rain of Fire. BTW, i got very few other spells than fire - on the advice of an expert here. It was good advice.

But I'm thinking of getting Wave of Death or Army of Darkness. Can anyone advise on that? Do these spells come in handy?

quote:
Originally posted by The Griffin
Am I correct in assuming that you have to advance a chapter before you can learn a new circle of magic?

Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:38 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Don't bother. Holy missile is the best of the 6th circle. Went through fine with rain of fire and destroy undead. How come nobody else likes wave of ice? It's cool.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:15 am
ShadowAssas1n
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by jmurdock
Don't bother. Holy missile is the best of the 6th circle. Went through fine with rain of fire and destroy undead. How come nobody else likes wave of ice? It's cool.

Hehe yeh wave of ice is awesome, personally ice block saved my ass so many times in Gothic 2 as a fire mage . I can't find ANY runes though so I think I'm going to have to use a cheat to get the holy missile .
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:22 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

What chapter? Gorax has three in ch 1, and 1 each I think in ch 2,3,4. You got the ones from Lutero and the guy who asks you to report back (Lorenzo?) from the VoM? Milten has one in ch 2. Lutero has at least one to sell in ch 4. Milten has another to sell in ch 6. I can't remember if Vatras has one to sell in ch 6 or not. Ah just a case of going senile.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:23 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I think you can find at least one empty rune somewhere....
I have never played as a mage, but I remember having two empty runes one I have bought and the other just was into my incentory so I figured out that I propably pick it up from somewhere.Maybe at the pass from Korinis to VoM where Orcs are.Maybe behind those wooden constructions.... before the load screen appears.
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:15 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowAssas1n
quote:
Originally posted by jmurdock

Hehe yeh wave of ice is awesome, personally ice block saved my ass so many times in Gothic 2 as a fire mage . I can't find ANY runes though so I think I'm going to have to use a cheat to get the holy missile .

A number of people sell blank runes in Chapter 5. Check Lutero and all the mages.
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:33 pm