Game that best fits this description.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Game that best fits this description.

My hero starts out as a nobody. Like a boy or child who just lost everything. Not Morrowind style where I'm the chosen one and I just have to find out. But like Secret of Mana where I'm kicked out of town and have nothing.

Where when I level I get points to distribute. Like EQ, not like Neverwinter.

Where I have a very detailed paper doll and many many item slots like EQ, unlike NWN.

Quests like NWN where there are some everywhere you look and NPCs whom come to you for help. Not like Morrowind where it's difficult to find an NPC to give you a guest. Or where like Morrowind you have to cross the globe 6 times to complete a quest.

Items that have lore and are interesting to look at and have cool stats added to them. Like some items in NWN and some in EQ but not to that extravagance, but unlike (can't think of an unlike)

Graphis don't even have to be great. I was happy with Wizards and Warriors graphics, but would like something decent. A game where you can run, NWN I move to slow.

Also I kinda prefer a 3rd person view...one that is easy to handle...Unlike Morrowinds 3rd person view but a bit more managable than NWN's. I like DAoC's 3rd person veiw.

Not an MMO...I've got all of those...well most of them and am now poor...would just like a good midevil fantisy RPG.

Anyone know a good one that I can try.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:49 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Diablo 2.

*ducks*

Have you tried Ultima 9? You don't get to distribute points when "leveling" and you're the Avatar, but it has most of the things you're looking for.
If you liked Wizards and Warriors, then you might want to try Wizardry 8.
If you have an older computer, then the Quest for Glory games are great fun. You build your character as you advance through each game. So, you do start as a nobody. However, there is no point distribution. You have to use a skill to increase it. There's no paperdoll until the 5th game.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:16 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yeah, Ultima 9 is too puzzlely for me. I like the "Go kill the ogre and bring me his toe" kinda quests. I'm not a real bright bulb so I like to keep it simple.

I'm also looking for a game where I'm the lone hero (like U9), I don't much like the whole share the glory thing like BG's.

The Diablo's where ok, but that 3rd person view leave out all immersion into the game, plus I don't like to have to manage my inventory, and those games had absolutly no stratagy.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:24 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

How are those different? Except that NWN is a bit more advanced?

As for the rest, best fit is probably Diablo 2, Divine Divinity, Daggerfall, Fallout 1&2 and Deus Ex 1.

Quest for Glory games can be REALLY frustrating when you don't know what to do, which isn't good if you want things to be simple. Plus the inventory isn't that advanced. And there's no real isometric view.
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:00 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Doesn't quite fit the bill, since you do have a couple of helpers, but try Summoner. The others mentioned are also worthwhile.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:45 pm
Ozymandias
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Might & Magic series

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for anything whatsoever as a result of you reading this post.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:12 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Maybe Arx Fatalis would fit your bill? It's played out in first person view, but other than that I think you've got it all there.

You start out as a nobody, you get points when you level up, you get to dress your paper doll, there are lots of quests, a few satisfying items, ok graphics and the ability to move quite rapidly.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:54 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I just tryed, Gothic II, and am quite depressed. I haven't even played the game that much, but I really don't want to because I'm a spoiled American and like to use a crazy little contraption called the mouse. The game I have played so far is a pain, aggrivating to move. I've changed the controls so I can do stuff with the mouse but grr...it's aggrivating. I use my mouse to walk but have to stop moving forward to turn, or strife. There is no pointer in the game and lore is out of the game. I'm sure there is a story but I haven't gotten to it yet. I met a bandit and expected him to attack me, but he (unwillingly on my part) drew me into conversation and then broke conversation and beat the snot out of me. I'm depressed...I wan't a CRPG that is user freinly for us lazy americans. I'll try Arx Fatalis but only if it doesn't play anything like Gothic too. I know RPG's are all about the game and stroy or what not, but I want to Role Play me...Some reason it's frowned apon to carry a sword around and wack people with it now-a-days. And no one believes I have a greater destiny...so I'm looking for a game I can be what I want. And not use WASD to move or Left click plus right Ctrl to pick an item up.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:04 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
quote:

How are those different? Except that NWN is a bit more advanced?

NWN, I don't get to distribute points to my stats, or my sword abilty, like EQ or most only RPG's. NWN, I get to choose abilities I want...all good and I get to choose feats that I would be able to preform...all good but I want to twik my character, with 100 str and 5 con...so I can kill in one hit or die in one hit.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:10 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'd say Might and Magic 7, 6 and 8 in that order, if you can handle the subpar graphics. Those great games have everything you mentioned in your post, except it is in the first person.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:16 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm....

I NEVER used my mouse in Gothic/Gothic 2.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:13 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I always did the decent thing and used WSAD for walking and the mouse for pointing/fighting in Gothic/Gothic II. Or any other game allowing it . If a game is not WSAD-compatible, then it's not been made for me.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:29 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Rather extensive requirements, doncha think?

I'll throw another vote on the Might and Magic pile, and confirm Sir Markus' ranking. DO NOT, under any circumstances, get MM9 though. It's an insult to all that's good and pure in the world.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:06 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I know only 2 games that fit your description - and I know a lot

-= Albion =-

-> A perfect mix between Ultima 7 and Wizardry 7 the 2 blueprints for rpgs

get it here:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=35

and

-= KOTOR =-

the new masterpiece from Bioware.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:55 pm
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
DO NOT, under any circumstances, get MM9 though. It's an insult to all that's good and pure in the world.

Hey, it wasn't THAT bad! It was a little slow at first, but after.. uh.. 15 hours of playing through the boring first towns and dungeons it actually started to grow on me. Enough to not make me hate it at least.. But that starting place and the "demo" when you sink that island (was it an island?) must be the worst cutscene ever.

@HiddenX: Grr, now you made me download that Albion game even though I've already played and completed Amberstar and Ambermoon! Shouldn't that be enough?!
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:18 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next