View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Bow VS Crossbow, 1h VS 2h

A thread for the strategies.

What advantages has a 1h over a 2h at the same skill, and what advantage has a bow over crossbow at the same skill?

In Gothic 1 bows where faster than crossbows, and 1h where faster at 2h at untrained levels.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:28 am
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Ok, Cross Bows Vs Bows

Cross Bows are slower, but the upper end cross bows, later in the game, are a lot more powerful... Bows are faster and better for early on in the game...

1 handed weapons are faster, and in my opinion that makes it easier to move and fight

2 handed, not really used em before because I found them to slow, but they do more damage and have a longer reach for keeping oponants away.

Hope that explains some.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:11 pm
LexXx
He who has no title
He who has no title

I also think crossbows are the best, 'cause they're stronger then normal bows. And I played with a 2-handed, because these swords are longer then 1-handed, so when you're fighting with your 2-handed against 1 animal it's most of the time impossible for an animal to reach me.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:43 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I have noted that Crossbows have a lesser dex requirement than bows, so they seem to be the better choice for Paladins/Mages that does not focus on dexterity. Is this true?

Is there any later advantage for bows/1handed?

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:39 pm
Virk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I cant fight with the 1hander, i get to close up to the monsters(specially the animal kind) and they rip me to peices. 2hander is easier since it reach further, so u can keep monsters away from you better.

Aint tested bows much yet.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:44 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I have crossbow, although I rarely use it. I am more of a melee person anyway.

As for 1H or 2H - I personally like 2H more. Sure, it's slower then 1H, with 1H weapon I could rip single target apart very fast. But with 2H I simply hit them so much more harder, not to mention the reach is much longer. I personally prefer 2H weapons, from ranged weapons I wear - yes, wear, rarely use, heh - crossbow. Looks cooler, in a way...
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:02 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

It would be interesting to test a 100 strength 100 1h guy with asian defence, towards an 100 strength 100 2h guy with doubleblock and see the difference.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:19 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

/me was in Gothic 1 a crossbow and 2h sword man and in Gothic 2 i am the same
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:36 pm
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hmm, I thing both strategies are good 1h/2h. It depends on the style of the person playing.

I personally plan to play this game as a paladin with 1h sword and some runes. Next game with a merc using 2hander and x-bow and third game as a mage

And Gothic 2 has that replay value to be still interested to play again from the very beginning to try different characters and different strategies.

The only thing that makes me a bit dissapointed is lack of good maces,hammers, poleaxes, spears and polearms. I have found 1 mace and I keep it just because it looks so cool !

Ha, question, is there difference to hit skeleton with mace or with sword? (yes, I already know about bow)
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:54 pm
mythicdude
City Guard
City Guard

how about a machine gun-fast and a lot of damage
or u could try a shotgun-slow, but one shot-one kill
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:41 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Egin
----
True... Looks to me like they removed the hammers for balance. They where overpowered anyway, so I can live with that. But removing all maces? No. It would look really cool to walk around with a 2h warhammer.
And the real blunt-hating opponent must have been stone golems...

mythicdude
----------
Not fast enough, but there's a point.
In Gothic 1 you could clearly see that a trained 1h warrior could strike two blows where an untrained 2h could only strike one. Calculating that you could theoretically say "double damage" compared to the 2h weapon.
Once you learned 2h thou, 1h was no longer useful.

This time around, you can start to learn 2h from the start. The only drawback is that its difficult to get a hold of a 2h weapon in chapter 1, but if there is one out there that is reachable in chapter 1, I see little reason to go 2h.

Crossbows/Bows apply to the same rules. Besides, with bows you can also 'divide' the damage, since you can fire towards multiple opponents.

Still would love to have an confirmation about the bow speed thou.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:03 am
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

JemyM

I have heard many people saying, that Gothic 2 is more ballanced than G1 in terms of 1h, 2h combat differences.

You can stick to 1h and be at the end of the game as powerful as 2hander.
I haven't been that far (can't leave chap 1 ).

But, I very much hope, that there is not one clear path in G2, you can choose whatever you want and still rule, provided you didn't waste LP's.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:16 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Its a choice of character. But having no tactical differences between bow/crossbow 1h/2h would be as ridicilous as it would to have two strength and two dexterity, wouldnt it?

I know for sure that 2h have a greater distance than 1h, and in the end its quick as lightning. I really want to know what the tactical bonus with 1h is.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:08 am
Egin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

<<<But having no tactical differences between bow/crossbow 1h/2h would be as ridicilous as it would to have two strength and two dexterity, wouldnt it? >>>

More damage or higher speed. Hmm yep, it should be similar to what you have written. You make 1x60dmg or 2x25 for the same period of time. And addind critical damage makes them look more balanced.

More damage should work better in some situations and in some cases speed should be advantage. This is my meaning of ballance.

<<<<I know for sure that 2h have a greater distance than 1h, and in the end its quick as lightning. I really want to know what the tactical bonus with 1h is. >>>>

Don't you think it is rediculous to see 2h heavy sword moving with lightning speed? And what would all those 1handers have at the end? Crappy swords doing crappy damage? Then, there is no alternative, but one clear path for all - take 2h and pump all skill points into it and you will have an uber character.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:18 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Seriously. I dont wanna say 2h is better. I say that I wanna know the truth.

So practically we are talking about (in theory):
2 strikes at STR 50 + DAM 35 = 170 damage
More Damage / Faster / Worse against armored creatures / Low reach

1 strike at STR 50 + DAM 65 = 115 damage
Lesser Damage / Slower / Better gainst armored creatures / Higher reach

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next