Dos box help if anyones got time
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dos box help if anyones got time

Prevously I have tried installing dosbox on my windows xp computer so i can enjoy several classic games such as anvil of dawn, the underworld games, and even try some new ones recomended by people on this site.

However I HAVE downloaded a version before and it didn;t work

Apparanantly there is a version availbable on home of the underdog, yet I can't find where to download the version

Can someone please go through it step by step for me as to where i can find this software, how it is installed/ ran on my computer etc

The version I tried had about 20 different names, 1 had dosbox in the title but it didn't work

Clearly i'm doing something wrong

Can anyone please help?
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:47 pm
Snome
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A time honored method is to buy an old computer 386 / 486 somewhere and use that. It works much better than any emulator, plus you don't have any game speed issues.

Worked for me
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:50 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Probably is the best way snome, but sadly I have no room for another computer, as I already have 2, and theres just no room to put them

however I have managed to copy and paste these versions of dosbox, does anyone know which one of these would work on my windows xp computer?

DOSBox
Debian woody package version 0.61-2 i386 deb
Windows version 0.61 Win32 installer
Gentoo Linux version 0.61 portage
Source version 0.61 Source
Mac OS X version 0.61 tgz
BeOS R5 & Zeta version 0.61 Source and binary (x86)
Suse 9.0 rpm version 0.61 i686 rpm
Suse 9.0 src rpm version 0.61 src rpm
Windows version 0.60 Win32 installer
Source version 0.60 source.tar.gz
Red Hat 9.0 rpm version 0.60 rpm
BeOS R5 version 0.60 Source and binary (x86)
Suse 8.2 rpm version 0.60 i586 rpm
BeOS R5 version 0.58 Source and binary (x86)
MorphOS and Amiga68k version 0.58 ports
FreeBSD package version 0.58 TGZ
Old dosbox versions version 0.58 source + binary(x86)

Tools
D-Fend version 1.0.61.21 Frontend for windows
Boxer Frontend version 0.61.5 Frontend for windows
DOSBox Launcher version 0.01 Frontend for Mac OS X
DBFrontend version 0.0.5.17 Frontend for windows

add-ons
French Languagefile version 0.61 DOSBox french language file
French Readme version 0.60 DOSBox Readme in french

SourceForge.net Logo

Thanks
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:12 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well just goto this site here; http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 and download the lastest version for the OS you're running. If you're running Windows then get the Windows version, Linux for Linux, etc. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Then install it and read the readme file a few times until you know how to run the emulator. After you've read the readme file, and you're still having problems, come back here and I'll try to help you out to the best of my ability.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:41 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks, but I haven't really a clue what I am doing.

I have downloaded various emulators before, but am not sure when it comes to technical details.

However I have downloaded a dos-box europe-ireland version for windows, and have installed it. The dosbox screeen comes up, and I am giving a

z:\ drive,
but no C drive

For example I have betrayal at krondor installed on my hard drive (c drive) but the only drive i am given is z, where i have no data or games.

Having read through the read me file it dosen't really explain anything about drives, finding directories etc. It refers to the C drive, about topics such as full screen use etc, but little details won't be a problem if i can get the drive sorted out.

Really I haven't a clue what I am doing.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:08 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

To mount a drive type in this at the command promt:

mount <drive letter> <folder path>

So it would look something like this:

mount c c:\dosgames

Once you have your drive mounted then all you gotta do is switch to the drive you just mounted by typing in c: and hitting enter. If you're not familer with DOS command then I suggest that you spend some time researching the commands via ww.google.com.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:00 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you type help you should get a list of all the commands you can use in dos then if you aren't sure what something does then you can type in the command then put /?after it and it tells you (If I remember rightly) for example

Deltree /?

And it will tell you what the command does.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:07 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

For the Ultima Underworlds: there's a patch thingy available that lets you run them in WinXP (probably 2000 too) with full sound, no speed issues, etc. Do a Google search, I think it's pretty easy to find (I'll find the links and post 'em if anyone wants this and has problems - let me know). I've used it on a few different machines and it worked perfectly for me, & it was easy to use.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:13 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

If you get tired of the dos boxes, and all their problems I recommend have a look on the manager program VDMSound, which is a program that runs under Win XP, 2000, ME and NT. It's an emulator alright, but you will not have to work in dos-boxes, it has a clean modern windows interface.
It can manage access to hardware (Sound, CD/DVD, mouse), and can manage/emulate memory (XMS, EMS etc), and game speed features (Needs an addon program).
Sorry I've got no direct link here and now but search via google for the newest version along with it's addons, there are also very usefull setup guides on the net.
I have run Ultima underworld 1 with full sound support on a WinXP system with the VDMSound emulator.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:52 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Ioskeha
To mount a drive type in this at the command promt:

mount <drive letter> <folder path>

So it would look something like this:

mount c c:\dosgames

Once you have your drive mounted then all you gotta do is switch to the drive you just mounted by typing in c: and hitting enter. If you're not familer with DOS command then I suggest that you spend some time researching the commands via ww.google.com.

This has worked for me. I also tweeked some of the default settings to get the speed of the game to where I wanted it. I can get DosBox to work for me (after a little fiddeling around), but if you can not then try Michael C's suggestion.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:46 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for everyones help ..............

I've nearly got dosbox working for me, and can change the drive to c:

I can also type in c:\desktop which brings up my desktop application (c:desktop)

However when I check this directory where I have 100's of files stored they don't appear (dir/w or dir/s) reveals no files.

For example i know I have the game betrayal at krondor in my desktop directory (c:\documents and settings\michael\desktop\betrayal at krondor)

Yet it dosen;t appear. When I try typing after c:desktop betrayal at krondor it says illegal command betrayal

If i then try cd\betrayal at krondor i receive the message "unable to change to \betrayal at krondor

Obviously i am nearly there, can someone help me finish it off by telling me what I am doing wrong

Thanks
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:08 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I just tried it doing the following:

mount c: c:\

Then I typed:

dir /p

And got all the directories and files on my root drive (with a pause function so I could read them). So then I tried

cd mp

and got C:\MP, so then, just to check I did a dir command and yes I was in the Merchant Prince of Venice directory of my c drive. It should work!
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:16 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

is it possible that the files are hidden?

You could try attrib -h*.*

then try dir and see if they are there.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:21 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by sammy22
Thanks for everyones help ..............

I've nearly got dosbox working for me, and can change the drive to c:

I can also type in c:\desktop which brings up my desktop application (c:desktop)

However when I check this directory where I have 100's of files stored they don't appear (dir/w or dir/s) reveals no files.

For example i know I have the game betrayal at krondor in my desktop directory (c:\documents and settings\michael\desktop\betrayal at krondor)

Yet it dosen;t appear. When I try typing after c:desktop betrayal at krondor it says illegal command betrayal

If i then try cd\betrayal at krondor i receive the message "unable to change to \betrayal at krondor

Obviously i am nearly there, can someone help me finish it off by telling me what I am doing wrong

Thanks

Re-reading what you wrote above, are you sure you mounted the drive as the root?

Try typing in "mount c: c:\" this will mount the entire c: drive. If you type in "mount c: c:\mp" it will mount c:\mp as the root directory and you will lose access to all the rest of the c: drive.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:26 pm
sammy22
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, i've now managed to mount the c dirve correctly and have access to my whole hard disk drive (c). I still couldn't find desktop, so I moved return to krondor from the desktop into a file "games", which I knew was listed under my c drive.

Typing c;\games then brings up the games directory, and pressing dir/p i can look at the names of all the games i have.

Amongst them is betray""1, which is obviously betrayal at krondor, but I don't know what command to type to bring up the game. I have tried things like

cd\betrayal
krondor
and even cd\betrayl at krondor (return) betrayal, but it still says illegal error, or it can't change to betray 1.

I am kind of familiar with dos, as I used it for years before about 2000, but i can't figure out a command to identify the game.

Can anyone help?
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next