Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Fallout 3 & Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Same Engine?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Fallout 3 & Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Same Engine?

NMA asked Bethesda's Pete Hines if they are using the same engine for 'Fallout III' and 'Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'. NMA came to the conclusion that Pete said 'yes' and 'no' at the same time. Check <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9488" target="_blank">here</a> to make up your own mind about whether NMA are right or not with that assumption.
Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:11 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hopefully that means yes, but turn based. I know, I know...delusional thinking...but I can dream.

If they at least add actual dialogue trees and quests (where your choices are more than do it or don't do it) I'll enjoy it. But the combat will suck if it's not turn based.

It seems impossible to get a game that does everything right though. Fallout (& even Fallout 2) and even Arcanum for quests and world depth. ToEE & Silent Storm for combat. Morrowind for size and freedom. Give me a real-time 1st person game with Doom quality graphics, character development & quests on par with Fallout, story on par with Planescape : Torment, and the freedom and size of morrowind and I'm a happy man. Sadly, I still live on this planet and that's not possible here. Too bad Bill Gates isn't a rabid gamer willing to dump $50 million into a game with no hope of profit...

Wow, when I go off on a tangent I go off on a tangent.
Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:21 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The engine could be modified Oblivion engine. It's unlikely they use the very same thing.
Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:27 am

We should start a club Majnun

Yeah a tweaked Oblivion engine for sure.

Briosafreak (can`t log in, don`t know why)
Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:36 pm

El Patito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Elements like rendering, shading, whatever could be lifted from one game to the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Majnun
Too bad Bill Gates isn't a rabid gamer willing to dump $50 million into a game with no hope of profit...

Too bad you yourself don't have $50 million to dump into a game like that, more like.
Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:58 pm