Assassin/Thief Oversight?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Viya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Assassin/Thief Oversight?

Last night I finally was able to find the assassin's guild and attempt to join them. I had already joined the Thieves Guild so that was not a problem. All sanctioned assassin mission require a writ of execution to perform. Here is the problem I came across. I accepted the initiation assignment for the assassins guild. I went to the target, removed his life, and headed back to announce my success. That is when I found out that upon performing the assassination, you are marked as a criminal until a city guard runs you down and attempts to arrest you. You then show the writ and are sent free. No problem. After about 30 mins of playing and travelling, I happened to go to my inventory and I was stripped almost bare. Completely shocked I had to reload a much earlier game because I had already quick saved after losing all my items.

I had a sneaky suspision what happened, so I did the same assassination again, met up with the guard and gave him the writ. Sure enough, my inventory was reduced to almost nothing.

Here is the deal...even though you give the writ to perform a LEGAL assassination to the guard, you are still removed of all the posessions that you looted from boxes or that the game considers stolen. I saved the game just before speaking to the guard and basically threw all my items on the ground, spoke to the guard, and then went a picked back up my items. Yes, it is a work around, but a total, TOTAL pain in the ass.

This really needs to be fixed. Having ALL stolen items removed from your inventory instead of the one item that was stolen is plain rediculous, but having it done even though you have the writ of approval has got to be an oversight.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 3:39 pm

I always fence my stolen goods as soon as possible.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:12 pm

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hahahaha, sounds like the got one of those "proceeds of crime" laws. I like that. Did you know it works the same way in real life? You get busted for trafficing and they take your car, house..everything they think you bought with drug money and you have to go to court and prove you earned that stuff legally.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:22 pm
Damian

writ

Only the first one works like that. I was worried too, but later on they don't hunt you down when you assassinate.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 4:36 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

1) It depends on whether or not you get reported.

2) If you have stolen goods on you and a guard runs into you, then you should expect them to be taken away. That's a writ of execution your carring, not a right to steel.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:17 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

What did you mean by fence your stolen goods?

The point he was making is that he knows you can't get away with legally stealing with the writ...but that you can't assasinate anyone because you will have to give up all your loot that you have stolen. I have a full plate of stolen armor. If I Kill someone now...I am basically screwed...has someone figured out how to prevent your loot from being stolen?
Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:53 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Run away from the guards. If they somehow surprise you and the dialogue appears, select resist arrest and run away. One of my characters is an assissin for the Morag Tong, and I never have a problem with guards taking my stuff because I do not let them take my stuff. Good things happen to people that make them happen. Bad things happen to people who let them happen.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 6:02 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You know whats cool? When they strip you of your stuff, head to the guards office in town, and one of the chests inside is marked 'evidence'. Open it, and you;ll find all (or most) of your stuff there!. Shouldnt be that hard for a thief.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:06 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

guards office in town? That is really cool..tks for the tips

Well since the majority of the people who join the assasins guild are probably thieves...it kinda takes the fun out of the whole point of a lawful execution if you are going to suffer for it. You might as well just kill everyone, run away and take care of your bounty later....You don't need to join the assasins guild for that. So why join the assasins guild if you are going to be penalized for killing people. People talk about not getting caught, running away, and that's what you get for being a thief but the whole idea of a thief is to steal stuff...that is why we chose the class...because this game actually makes if very beneficial for being a thief. Oh well, just pissing in the wind I guess

I will get to like lv 60 and just kill every single NPC in the game including Vivec
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:18 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Only the poor and weak get caught while 'removing' persons. These assasins are replaceble.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:28 pm
Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You seem to have the premise that there should be no penalties to being a thief. Being an assissin does not equal being a theif. The two are not one and the same. A thief would want to avoid killing someone at all costs for the exact reason that they do not want to deal with the guards.

Besides, being an assissin is one of the most profitable occupations in the game. The job pays better than most other guild jobs.

Now, it would be nice if say after you presented the guard with the writ, he would then try to arrest you for the stolen goods he noticed on your person (even if you have no bounty), you could then resist arrest on the unrelated crime of theft.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:37 pm
Viya
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Missing the point...

>> I always fence my stolen goods as soon as possible. <<

You must be low level. I also "fence" my goods. But when you are lugging around l00t worth 10g and none of the vendors have enough money to offload it, fencing is rather difficult. Not to mention that the l00t might be something you actually want to USE. Laundering the l00t is also getting increasingly more difficult as I get mroe expensive items.

>> Hahahaha, sounds like the got one of those "proceeds of crime" laws. I like that. Did you know it works the same way in real life? <<

Uh, Squeetard...no it doesn't. If you kill somebody, they don't take your car, house...everything. Proceeds of Crime laws means just that. Any proceeds you obtain via commiting that specific crime are taken. I was stopped for killing somebody, not stealing.

>> 1) It depends on whether or not you get reported.

2) If you have stolen goods on you and a guard runs into you, then you should expect them to be taken away. That's a writ of execution your carring, not a right to steel.<<

Incorrect. Items that you have stolen are taken whether you are reported for stealing or not. So basically, if you stole a shirt from a house and nobody was looking or around, that item is somehow marked as stolen. You get caught...it is taken from you.

I got caught for killing. Why am I getting the shakedown for stealing?

>> Only the poor and weak get caught while 'removing' persons. These assasins are replaceble. <<

Cute....however I didn't get "caught" by accident. I walked up to present the guard the writ. Why in the world should I run when I am legal?

>> You seem to have the premise that there should be no penalties to being a thief. <<

No I don't. Again....if I am caught for one thing, why am I being made to pay for another that the guard should have NO clue about? In addition, how does the guard know I have stolen goods on my person? I guess the NPCs put identification codes on their items, right? Every piece of armor has a patented Magicka Lo-Jac transponder? How the hell does every guard in Vivec instantly know I secretly stole that piece of bread in Neen? Morrowind guards use a global internet database to track criminals? Bottom line...if I walk out of a building or zone into another area without being detected, the item(s) should be FREE AND CLEAR from then on out.

If it worked this way in the real world, I swear you couldn't walk away with a bank teller's pen without a goon-patrol dropping out of the sky and arresting you.

Damian had stated that I shouldn't get hunted down from here on out, but I just had to respond to some of these posts.

Last edited by Viya on Tue May 14, 2002 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 13, 2002 10:48 pm

join thief guild and they can take care price on ur head for half price
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:47 am

Caelistis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In regards to getting "caught"...

I ALWAYS resist arrest, kill the guard, go visit my local fixer and get the price taken off my head.

I'm triple dealing between the assassins guild, the thieves guld and the fighters guild.

My character, who is now basically a demi-god from playing the game 6 hours a day since the game came out, is very agile and is an awesome marksman with his bondmold bow.

I use steel arrows and 5 arrows will wipe out a guard with no problem. I dispose of the corpse, ditch his stuff and go about my merry way.

Only ONCE have I been forced to go get the price taken care of before reporting a completed assignment.

I think it has to do with reputation, in regards to the shakedown. I've one of 9 and I SWEAR there are times guards bug me for stuff that, quite frankly, I don't remember even DOING.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 5:50 am