Usergroups
Ein Augenblick Wahrheit (Apparently)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Actually Jaz It's interesting that your PC has a male persona. Especailly as you consider him lazy and inefficient!

Lie down on the Badgers couch Jaz and tell me .. only the good things that come into your head about the men in your life.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:02 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:

On 2002-04-12 06:02, Badger wrote:
Actually Jaz It's interesting that your PC has a male persona.

Hmmm... in German, it's 'der Computer', so computers are male.

quote:

Lie down on the Badgers couch Jaz and tell me .. only the good things that come into your head about the men in your life.

Let me think about that for a while... well, at least the current man supplies me with free computer hardware .

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:08 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Ahhhhh right.. you have that whole Male/Female thing in the language.. I forgot.

Well my PC is very definately Female.

She's Sleek, Sexy and she listens to what I ask her and then does what she wants.

Badger.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:11 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi Rendelius

As much as I envy your ability to open a can of Whup-ass on your pc with the nearest handy screwdriver. I would never do that myself. When she is sick I take her to the doctor. It would not be gentlemanly to look at her without her clothes on!

Badger
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:16 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Oh, Werner doesn't drink beer (that's my task) or watch football, but even without the male article I hadn't thought of him as a 'her'.

He's a stubborn, self-conscious looker, always trying to prove that he's superior to me in every regard, and only an hour ago he had one of his lock-up fits again. So it will be back to the memory errors as I can tolerate a Werner who starts up only once out of two tries, but not a narcoleptic one.

=EDIT=
Badger, I don't need a doc for Werner. If I don't feel confident enough for an especially difficult surgery, I ask my husband to do it. He's the computer tech in the family, I'm just the time manager . Oh yes, and my hb learned to hate Werner as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-12 07:26 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:23 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:

On 2002-04-12 05:00, Gorath wrote:
Ups, sorry.
This is of course fast enough. I must have mixed up some infos about configurations from different people.
Seems it was somebody else who shouldnīt buy a GeForce 4.

You might be thinking of me, I have a PIII 450mhz and 512m of ram. That probably makes me the underpowered female of the group.

But hey, I have a really cool transparent blue case that makes my PC look like a Macintosh. In my estimation, that makes up for my lack of power.

[ This Message was edited by: Gig on 2002-04-12 07:35 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:30 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Sounds to me as though he needs a reason to shake off the sleepiness. I'm not sure you understand him. When was the last time you took him out on the town eh? I mean out of the office. I bet never! when was the last time you actually said "I love You". Maybe he's just a little insecure.
Badger

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:35 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

He might be right Jaz, you know the male ego, all fragile and everything.

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:40 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Taking him out? Well... true, Werner never left the premises so far, but he's not alone (after all, there are six of his colleagues here), and each Sunday afternoon he's visited by 10 more colleagues.

But you're probably right... I'll take him out, shrinking violet that he is (you're quite right there, Gig). Next weekend there's a small LAN party in the vicinity, he'll be able to congregate with about 300 of his fellows there.

But to tell Werner that I love him... well... I'm afraid I'm not ready for that yet

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-12 07:45 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:44 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Yay, other people that name and / or anthropomorphize their computers! As for me, I named my box because I like it, it's always a loyal little bugger, trying its best. Kinda reminds me of Neelix I suppose.

Me: This should give you a little performance increase.
Arf: Wheeee! Lookit what I can do!
Me: What the hell?! How did you do that? That wasn't supposed to do that. Tell me how you did that!
Arf: Corporate secrets, sorry, bugger off. Not saying.

I consider myself pretty versed and Arf has even confused tech friends of mine by pulling off feats it really shouldn't be able to. And every now and again it still does it, for no reason at all. It's pretty stable too and everything, my only problems seem to be DiretDraw ones but that's thanks to the old card.

Though I don't think those I know around here appreciate Arf as I do.

Me: Hey, check this out.
Friend: That's pretty neat. How'd you do that?
Me: I didn't, Arf did! Somehow ... l'il bugger.
Friend: Oh, you mean the iMac-Fridge thing?
Me: Arf is NOT an iMac NOR a fridge, you evil, evil man.

Edit Huzzah! I'm a commoner, I don't look like J Jonah Jameson anymore!

[ This Message was edited by: Wruf on 2002-04-12 11:33 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:30 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Arf... how sweet. That sounds like a dog's name!

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:33 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Furry mentality through and through.

Besides, my computer has always done its best (been loyal) so I named it accordingly. :3 It's never done anything truly outstanding but it does impress me and it certainly isn't lazy.

For example, I've never -- not once -- crashed in Gothic. I had a stall once but that was because I did something the engine didn't like (too many skeletons!). You'd think with such an old card though I'd be crashing all the time but aside from the aforemented (engine) and the winches ... Gothic has run perfectly and even smoothly with an impressive view distance to boot.

I've never had reason to be dissatisfied with it and it looks much cuter than those sickly iMacs so ... Arf seemed appropriate.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:46 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi All

Just a quickie because I am busy system testing. But I just wanted to say that Gothic not only runs with the new card.. but I have been able to bump the resolution up to max and it's smooooooooooth sailin.

Talk to you soon

Badger
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:24 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-04-12 04:54, Gorath wrote:
Jaz, I have to admit I donīt remember your exact config, but I think Werner is too slow for a GeForce 4.

Will my computer, cd63914-a., be able to handle it?

1.4Ghz & 256Mb & XP?

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:57 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2