Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How big is the world in the Gothic 2 demo?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

How big is the world in the Gothic 2 demo?

If u use the cheat in the Gothic 2 demo to gain access to the hidden sections, how big is the game world?

Is it the entire game world, 25%, 50% etc?
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:15 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hopefully it's 1% or something.. it ain't that big; the forest, 3 valleys, a farm, a tavern and the city.. that's basically it.

The world in Gothic II is 3 times larger than Gothic I, so just compare the demo to that world(it isn't even 1/3 of the Gothic I demo, which means that it's smaller than 1/6, probably about 1/10-15 of the Gothic II).
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:31 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I've been trekking through the demo world and it is absolutely huge!
Post Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:35 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Based on the map of the New World linked here earlier, the Gothic II demo is about 1/3 of the land area. Of course there's also the Old World. My guess is it's about 1/5 of the area in the game.

The demo area isn't really THAT big... it's just very cleverly landscaped so you can't travel directly between places.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:03 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yupp, once you've been through it a couple of times it really isn't that big.. reminds me of the forest between the Old Camp, Sect Camp and the old ruins in Gothic I(basically nobody explores it, so it seems huge, but it really isn't).

Also, it's not 1/3, because Gothic I is supposed to be 1/3 of Gothic II in size, and the demo isn't anywhere near the size of Gothic I(when you take the orclands and the big forests into consideration).
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:20 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Maylander: look at the map linked to the first screenshot here:

http://gamesweb.com/pc/previews/g/gothic2/prev-index.php

You can clearly see that the demo territory corresponds to the area around Khorinis, up to the ridge that runs N-S down the center of the map. Xardas's tower, the starting farm, the inn and the other farm are all identifiable, near the ridge. Makes sense, since that would include all the land you might see from the "official" demo areas, with the ridge blocking views of the areas beyond. Looks to me like a bit more than 1/3 of the area on the map.

If G2 is three times the size of GI, that presumably includes the Old World. I seem to remember talk of another small area as well, reached by ship, but since that would be a spoiler I can't ask about it here
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:50 pm
Cloaked Figure
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by oozle
I've been trekking through the demo world and it is absolutely huge!

Uhhhh, Hmmmm.... I think its rather small. Im hoping the demo is only 10% of the game.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:26 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes Srikandi, you're right.. according to this map the demo is about 1/3=33,3% making Gothic 2 just a bit bigger than G1(I don't know how big the colony is though)..

Also, I see now how people get the feeling that the demo is huge; most of it is actually the huge forest to the north, and if you haven't played through the demo a couple of times, that forest can seem like a maze..
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:42 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Yes Srikandi, you're right.. according to this map the demo is about 1/3=33,3% making Gothic 2 just a bit bigger than G1(I don't know how big the colony is though)..

How did you reach that conclusion?

Going by my own experience and a look at the (other) maps, I'd say that effectively G2 world size is about 2.5 times the size of G1-world. Come to think of it, that's what PB communicated too, didn't they?

Anyway, you'll find out soon enough.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:37 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Soon enough? Did you just say "soon enough"??

I won't play Gothic II soon enough unless it's in 30 seconds, so it's not "soon enough"..

*Sigh*.. guess I'm just going insane because of all the waiting..
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:27 am