Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
WANT TO PLAY MORROWIND, then DOWNLOAD THIS FILE NOW!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
HimalayanJake

WANT TO PLAY MORROWIND, then DOWNLOAD THIS FILE NOW!!!

Hello Everyone.. this is truly great news and needs repeating...

I have quoted, at the bottom, the original poster of the path. His solution and my final configuration have giving me the best performance and quality I can expect from my system without an upgrade. AND NOW I DO NOT PLAN TO UPGRADE FOR A WHILE! She runs sweet

My system is a PIII/866, Hercules GEForce3/64MB, WesternDigital 40GB/7200RPM harddrive, Toshiba 16xDVD, 384MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Intel Motherboard, CreativeLabs SBLive!, Altec Lansing 4speaker w/subwfr, Logitech wireless KB, Logitech Trackman Marble FX (trackball), MS Sidewinder Pro Forcefeedback, Nvidia Driver v28.32 and Win98SE (current patches installed).

My configuration is:
1. no overclocking

2. Customer2000 (to optimize RAM) You can also "as for the virtual memory. You should set it to double that of your actual memory" e.g. if you have 384MB you should set it to Min = 768MB Max = 768MB. Also, "you should edit your System.ini file and add the line: ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 at the bottom of the section marked [386enh]. This will force windows to aggressively use real RAM before using virtual memory. You can edit your system.ini file by running sysedit. (Start->Run)" I made sure 288MB of RAM are free (ctrl+alt+m for my Customerize2000).

3. Install file (link provided below) in my Morrowind directory. This seems to have killed SafeDisc (Hurray!!!). Please buy a legitimate copy of Morrowind then use the file to remove that crap from your install. I really want to see Bethesda expansions/enhancements and can hardly wait for ElderScrollsIV in 2006

4. Use ctrl+alt+del to terminate any tasks that are not needed to run Morrowind. (e.g. "wescomm" which is a TSR for my PocketPC) I left on my Symantec firewall and anti-virus.

5. GEForce settings: right-click desktop -> "properties" -> "settings" tab -> set monitor to True Colour 32bit @ 1152 x 862 pixels -> click "advanced" button -> "GEForce3" tab -> "additional properties" button -> "3D Antialiasing Setting" tab -> set to "Manual" -> "2x" -> close all monitor settings windows and adjust physical montior display to properly fit these new settings.

6. Morrowind intro settings: NVidia GEForce3, Full Screen, 1152x768, and Pixel Shading on. I also made sure my custom "plugin file" is loaded. "Data Files" menu item and make sure the there is an "x" in the box beside it.

7. Adjusting to show FPS. (If anyone one wants to see their FPS it can be done by editing the morrowind.ini file in your Morrowind folder just open it up and look for SHOW FPS and change the value to "1") I quite certain this is not "framerate". KEEP IT TURNED OFF, to the user it means nothing. My game is running very smooth even in crowds and this indicator sometimes says I am running at 9 FPS. If that were a framerate, I could actual watch my screen repaint itself from top to bottom the way they did on the IBM XT games!!! It is a useless feature, go by your eyesight. DOES IT LOOK GOOD?!? I judge it against Gothic because I think has the best CRPG player character animation I have ever seen. For comparison, I have owned just about every CRPG that ever came out since 1994.

8. In the Morrowind.ini file I changed Font 1= century_gothic_font_regular to Font 1=century_gothic_big. This improved font quality big time.

9. In the Morrowind in game Option my settings are as follows:
a. Prefs: Menu Help Delay -> fast, Transparency -> 2/3 from Full, and AI Distance 1/4 from Near.
b. Audio: 3D Audio -> High, Music is 3/4 from LOW.
c. Video: View Distance -> max at Far, Real-time Shadows -> OFF.

10. In game press the tilde ("~") key to get the console. Type "help" and press enter to get a list of available commands. (e.g. "tgm" will toggle godmode on and off)

QUOTE:

"FRAMERATE BOOST - "unofficial patch"
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/j/_/j_daniel/Morrowind/Morrowind.exe

Download this executable from the server above. This executable has been modified to remove the Safedisc wrapper that is known for its huge resource consumptions and system instabilities. Amazingly, the box contents include an insert warning the end user of how safedisc causes problems with "certain hardware configurations". You might want to rename your old executable before replacing it with this one. You will also need to create a new shortcut in order to launch from your desktop. Most people are reporting a HUGE performance increase once they use this "patch". Try it.

All of this info is a compilation of info from this forum and GameSpot's hints and review of Morrowind. I went to the trouble of putting this all in one place so everyone will have the chance to enjoy a beautiful and smooth experience that I am having. PLEASE add more suggestions for improved performance to this topic so it stays at top long enough so everyone can save themselves the 5 hours I spent trying every concievable variation to find the most visually appealing configuration.

Cheers!!!
HimalayanJake
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:43 pm

wearswaldo

this is great thanks!

Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:48 pm

Flamedeth

I won't have to upgrade!

it's a long read but thanks himalayanjake that will really help. i wasn't sure if i would be able to run it
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:51 pm

hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I dunno...

...but for myself, all I did was change the in game resolution to match my desktop resolution (1152 x 862) and suddenly everything seems smooth. Inside and out.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:52 pm
Rhaegar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

When I installed the unofficial patch I got some sort of errors when I tried to load my save game. It managed to load but gave me two separate warnings about the save game I was loading. Anyone else have this problem
Post Sun May 05, 2002 4:57 pm
HimalayanJake

I installed the unofficial patch...

quote:
Originally posted by Rhaegar
When I installed the unofficial patch I got some sort of errors when I tried to load my save game. It managed to load but gave me two separate warnings about the save game I was loading. Anyone else have this problem

Could you please write down the error and post it here? I got some warnings when renewing a saved game, that I had saved prior to adding my own mod and all it was really telling me is that the game world has changed (my mod) and that this may effect my saved game by adding or removing something from me or the game world based on what I modified. In my case I added a sword near my character so he could kill a mud crab at the beginning.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:04 pm

HimalayanJake

patching Morrowind

Please make sure you replace Morrowind.exe NOT Morrowind Launcher.exe
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:08 pm

HimalayanJake

SWIMMING... fun for everybody!

I noticed that how to swim is not covered in the game manual.

The best way to swim is in 1st person view. Use the "w" key to move forward and wherever you point the crosshairs is where you swim to. Submerge/slash surface. You can also keep yourself aramed to kill the slaughterfish.

I find fighting in first person is more effective than 3rd person.

Does anyone know how to vary your attacks? You have an option to only use your best attack but I do not know how to choose an alternative attack.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:49 pm

Rhaegar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What is Customer2000?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:14 pm
HimalayanJake

quote:
What is Customer2000?

It is a system and memeory managment tool.

go to link below...

http://www.tweaknow.com
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:18 pm

HimalayanJake

quote:
Originally posted by HimalayanJake
quote:
What is Customer2000?

It is a system and memeory managment tool.

go to link below...

http://www.tweaknow.com

Sorry for the spelling mistakes

Customizer2000 is a system and memory managment tool.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:21 pm

HimalayanJake

Additional notes....

1. Make sure your dirve has been defragged before installing Morrowind or at the very least do so now.

2. It is best to have alteast 30% of your hard drive space free when running MS Windows (this may only apply to pre-Windows2000 system).
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:51 pm

Wandering Wanderer

Re: SWIMMING... fun for everybody!

quote:
Originally posted by HimalayanJake
Does anyone know how to vary your attacks? You have an option to only use your best attack but I do not know how to choose an alternative attack.

Easy. Switch to 3rd person view to get a good picture of your moves. The different attacks use a combination of movement keys and mouse click.

- no key, simple click: a "chop," top-down vertical hit. You can keep your weapon ready above your shoulder, and you'll keep your shield before you. I've had a MUCH higher percentage of blocks in this posture.

- strafe key+click: a "slash," side hit.

- forward/backward+click: a "stab," puncturing hit.

With good puncturing weapons like spears or shortswords, you can easily dodge hits from your opponent by stepping back, while still beating the crap out of him (or her, or it, or whatever other gender necromantic experiments can produce.) It's a bit more tricky with slashing/chopping weapons, but you can ready your weapon, dodge back (the kind of attack depends on the combination at the beginning, not when the mouse button is released), move in and deliver a mighty blow, swiftly sending the poor crib in Kwama Hell! Haha!

All in all, it's a pretty good system if you take the time to read the opponent's attacks and be a little tactical. Much more evolved than Diablo click'n'hack, a bit less abstract than classical turn-based RPG combat, and easier to control against several opponents than Gothic's.

P.S.: you CAN and should run during combat. Caps lock is a boon in that situation. Forget all tactics if you walk, or if your speed and athletics are pathetically low.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:27 pm

I get this error message “font 0 not found /morrowind.ini”

Any suggestions?
Post Sun May 05, 2002 8:14 pm

Linedog

bump
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next