D&D Online: Integrated Voice Chat in DDO @ Official Site
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

D&D Online: Integrated Voice Chat in DDO @ Official Site

Turbine have announced that Dungeons and Dragons Online will feature integrated voice chat.<blockquote><em>We've all been there. You're in an epic battle, spells flying left and right, swords clashing, and monsters roaring. In the chaos of battle you suddenly realize your hit points are low and start to type, "I need a heal!" Just as you are about to hit enter... you die. Argh! If only we could all type at 100 words-per-minute! Well, now you don't have to. <br> <br>Dungeons & Dragons™ Online: Stormreach™ will be the first massively multiplayer online role-playing game to offer integrated voice chat. Unlike previous MMOGs, voice chat in Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach will not require players to use their own system resources and bandwidth to host a chat server or run third party chat programs while they play the game. Everything is fully integrated and customizable right in the game client! Voice chat only works between players in the same party so you don't have to worry about hearing too many conversations at once.</em></blockquote><a href="http://www.ddo.com/index.php?page_id=66&pagebuilder[module]=article&pagebuilder[display_item]=145" target="_blank">More...</a>
Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:28 pm
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

There's nothing more immersion-breaking than hearing the voice of the 40-year-old obese man with a smoker's cough who's playing that hot, lithe female avatar your fighting alongside. Uh, I'm gonna pass on ANY voice chat solutions until perhaps the time comes when technologies can reliably morph voices (males sound like their female avatars, orcs really sound like orcs, etc). And even then you'll be dealing with people's telephones ringing and dogs barking, etc.
Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:33 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

whats emmersion breaking for me is the plain sillyness of online games. Nothing breaks emmersion than nothing making sense. No one can die. I can collect spines, brains, other bodies parts that require a surgerical hand, but I can't pick an herb I see? I have to kill 350 pigs to collect 8 boar ribs when every pig has ribs?

When mmorpgs attain at least a minimal level of reality leading to a slight ability for those with large imaginations and non-logical minds to kind of be emmersed in the game I'll start worrying about voices breaking the emmersion.

My worry would be some pansy being offended by my non-stop profanity.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:08 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

I spell good. Why is emmersion pronounced with an e but spelled with an I? Thats stupid, lets fight the system. Why is it pronounced, pronounciation, but not pronounciate? English is almost as stupid as math. I'm switching to ebonics, yo.
Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:13 am