Usergroups
Compared to Ultima IX Ascension, how big is the gameworld in
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I am yet to see a 3D RPG with a bigger gameworld and more gameplay than Ultima 9. There was over 200+ hours of gameplay in U9.

Compared to U9 how large is Gothic in gameplay and the size of the gameworld?
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 10:32 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Gothic is rather small, but the experience on the way is short and great.

You can compare it to eating rice for an entire week, or eating a pile of candy in a half-hour.

Speaking of length... Try to solve Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana 2 =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 1:57 am

Ultima 9's physical world seemed alot smaller than Gothic. Gothic's world may be small, but you get that expansive feeling that Ultima 9 lacks. The fact that you can look into the distant mountains, and walk to and traverse them, helps with the expansive feeling. That just don't exist in Ultima 9, you walk out the castle gates and two blocks later you're in an area that's supposed to be miles away, like the first tower dungeon quest you receive.
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 5:30 am

2 JemyM
what is Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana 2
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:50 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Small but nice is world of Gothic.
But world of Gothic is one prison. I have never seen so big prison .
Post Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:05 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------
Two really long RPG's on super Nintendo.

Mentioned them becouse of the mentioning of gamesize. =o)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:02 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Ultima 9 world is larger and much more "explorative", but the Gothic world is way smoother, more realistic and more alive.

U9 is gigantic...
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 2:41 am

Isn't Chrono Trigger the one you have to completely beat about 8 times before you can uncover everything? I heard about that one. Probably the biggest game world of all time award has to go to Daggerfall, which even the developers now recognize was way large on size and way small on places that were actually interesting and recognizable.
Post Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:50 pm

oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It's very easy to create a massive gameworld with repetative and crappy graphics.

What is amazing about Ultima 9 is the size of the gameworld, yet no one place is similar to another. The quality of the graphics remains top notch and with the 119 patch installed plays smoothly too.

A problem with Gothic in this respect is that a lot of the textures seem repetative. However, I have not progressed in the game enough to comment on this. Anyway, Gothic still rocks!
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 12:34 am

Repetitive and crappy graphics is how I would describe Ultima 9, and it does feel alot smaller than what its supposed to be. I tried the unofficial patch that's supposed to improve performance, but it still runs like crap.

Take the throne room... a friggin cube with stone textures, barely detailed....and it plays with single digit to teen framerates? Pathetic. The only way to get decent framerates is to severely cut down detail levels, decrease fog distance, and lower resolution.

Compared to Gothic, Ultima 9's graphics are substandard. It's almost an insult that Gothic can run so smoothly and fluidly with very high detail, while Ultima 9 sputters like a car out of gas, and with worse graphics no less!

Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 1:57 am

Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Plus the combat is ten times better, at least.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 2:02 am
Drakhan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I'm going to try and stray away from the debate over Ultima IX being a good game or not, But I have to say that I really enjoyed it, and I'm sure anyone who was able to play it within acceptable boundries did too.

Anyway, I have a question about Ultima IX. Did anyone ever find the Blackrock leggings, if so, I would be greatful for any information pertaining to their existance or location. I have the entire suit except for leggings and a shield (if they exist).

Thank you.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 3:10 am
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I hope you guys installed the 1.18 and 1.19 patches for Ultima IX BEFORE actually starting the game. Once you execute U9.ex, patching subsequently does not have any effect.

After properly installing the U9 patch, I get around 20fps, with about 10,000 viewing distance.

Brittania looks awesome.

Also, the only place where the graphics are slightly below par is in the main Castle of Brittania itself. Other than that, I am yet to see any RPG with superior graphics to U9, when U9 is running with max detail, max viewing distance, and all lighting settings turned up to their fullest.

Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 7:14 am

I might try that once I finished Gothic, however I already have a bad taste with U9. What resolution and color depth were you running? I usually don't accept anything lower than 1280x1024x32 with my Geforce 3 and Athlon T-bird, but with Ultima 9 I had to make an exception.

Even at 1024x768x32, I was still getting choppy framerates. Navigating in the castle was extremely annoyng. I won't accept anything less than 1024x768 resolution and definitely not 16 bit color, so I just tossed Ultima 9 on the shelves and never finished it. When computers and video cards become insanely more powerful then I'll give it another try.

Even at the highest detail settings, I dont think the graphics are that great. The transition from clear weather to rain is absolutely yucky....the sky doesn't even move smoothly. Textures are absolutely bland...and you can't deny that, especially how crappy the castles are rendered. Which castle looks more realistic....Lord British's giant stone cube or Gomez' castle? The answer is quite obvious.

Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:42 pm

The blackrock leggings indeed exist. Look around online for a walkthru or search on the Ascension boards (www.rpgplanet.com/ultima9).
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 6:15 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next