Star Wars: KotOR Review @ GamePlasma
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Star Wars: KotOR Review @ GamePlasma

The Star Wars: KotOR reviews continue to roll in with GamePlasma adding theirs to the list. It's a very postive <a href="http://www.gameplasma.com/reviews.php?id=91" target="_blank">review</a> with a final score of 8/10; a good score but one of the lowest I've seen for this title (or just one of the most realistic?). Here's some comments on sound:
<br><blockquote><em>Bioware definitely did the game justice with the sound. The Dolby 5.1 effects are outstanding, taking sound effects directly from the Lucasfilm library. (They were even better on my HDTV.) Voice acting is probably the best I have heard in a game, since Dark Cloud 2.. Every line of the games dialog is spoken as well so you can turn off those captions for a more movie-like feel if you wish. The in-game score is all John Williams and is as riveting as ever. If there are any complaints about the game, sound is not one of them.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:35 pm
Greymarch

big mistake

This review has absolutely no credibility for one simple reason: the reviewer stated that all the in-game music was written by John Williams. This is patently false. All the in-game music was created by Bioware. In fact, of the few complaints that gamers have about this game, the lack of John Williams music is at the top.

I question whether this reviewer is actually a Star Wars fan, or actually played the game.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:37 pm

nope, its not a realistic score. this game is a 9 at the lowest and a 10 is justified. why? i dont get obsessed with any game. i play them slowly during my free time, of which I have very little.

I have been obsessed with this game, driving it to the end of a very compelling story-line. 50 hours into it, I am not tried of the gameplay, UI, characters, music, graphics, anything.

If that's not a 9.5 at least what is? My only quip is with the inventory system and sometimes some jagged-edge graphics. As for the former, I've yet to see my perfect inventory system. As for the later, who cares?

Thank you, thank you, thank you Bioware. (okay, and LucasArts. its just that they've made so many duds I have to give 95% of the credit to Bioware (
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:17 pm

Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Well, no thanks from me because I can't even play it (yet). Stupid XBox. Stupid.
As for a perfect 10/10 score (or 100%), no game deserves that. It's a theoretical score that describes a theoretical limit, which is impossible to reach practically, just like the speed of light in our universe or Warp 10 in Star Trek.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:06 pm
Dhruin

My comment was a little tongue in cheek.

I don't have an Xbox so I haven't even seen it. Still, I agree with Arhu - no game should achieve a perfect 10 - and if it does, the inventory or whatever better be *perfect*. That is, afterall, what you're saying with a 10/10 score.

Really, a lot of reviews left me with the impression that the high score was as much because there weren't any better RPGs on the Xbox.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:14 pm
Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Still, if it beats Morrowind it must be pretty good. Morrowind got console RPG of the year awards in quite a few places last year. If this beats it it makes it one of the absolutely best console RPGs of all time. Dispite the fact that I'm no big fan of console RPGs in general (although both MW and KotR are PC style games) that is no small feat.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:52 am