Am I screwed?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Am I screwed?

I just went from Win 98 to XP and installed an Albatron GeForce4Ti4200.

I had played Morrowind earlier this year with my old setup, which included a NVidia Geforce2, and managed to get it to run pretty well in the end. I've just bought Tribunal, and reinstalled Morrowind without the addon to see where I left off in the game.

When I start the game now, it crashes almost immediately after the opening movie. THis has happened consistently, so I think it must be something to do with my new setup. I had heard that there were problems runnning Morrowind with XP and a GeForce 4 on another forum and was wondering if this is really the case and if so if there is anything I can do. I'd hate to think that upgrading my system meant I couldn't play Morrowind again, and Tribunal.

I actually noticed that while my older games seem ok onthis setup, some of the newer ones are crashing and freezing where they didn't before. Gothic runs just great, but Dungeon Siege, for example, crashes a lot where it never did before. Have I made a big mistake?
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:57 am
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Do you have the new driver????

Gothic II Credits
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:12 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Obviously setups vary from machine to machine but XP and my Ti 4200 has never been a problem. Did you use the drivers supplied with the card or current Detonators (v 41.09 currently, I think) ?
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:27 am
D.J.
Village Leader
Village Leader

Have the same problem.

quote:
Well itīs like this. I changed my computer since i played MW the last time. And of course i saved my savegames and plugins i had. Ok, i installed MW, patched it with the newest patch and put in the saves and the one plug-in. The game crashed before i could get to the menu. I tought to myself "thatīs probably because itīs the wrong patch, not the one i had before". I also had some problems uninstalling it (had to use Uninstall Suite). Well then i went again installing it. I installed and ran the game without the patch and it ran fine (to the menu, i didnīt go further), without the plug-in and saves. So i patch it with the first patch, the one i had in the previous computer, run it without the saves and plugin and it again crashes!
The os is the same, XP but the whole computer changed, but i doubt thatīs the problem.

Iīm really desperate and have run out of ideas, can anybody help me??

quote:
Crap Itīs like this. With no patch the game runs normally (i played a couple of seconds). With 1.1 patch the game crashes before getting into menu. With patch 1.2 the game not only crashes iīt doesnīt want to uninstall after patching it! Crap and double crap. I guess iīll have to play unpatched game. And i liked the enemy life gauge so much...

Well i thought of something else what changed from the last computer. I didnīt have the Windows XP SP1 fix. Could be this. Damned Microsoft
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:15 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yes, the new drivers are installed. I upgraded because Arx Fatalis started to crash, installed the latest drivers for my GeForce2, only to find that Arx couldn't handle the newest drivers. So I thought I would treat myself to a better card. Arx still doesn't run and now some other games won;t run either.

I'm also running DirectX 9

System:

System Manufacturer VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model VT8363
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 05/07/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1
Total Physical Memory 511.48 MB
Available Physical Memory 423.10 MB