ISO: LP advise for Mage in training
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
rc23
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ISO: LP advise for Mage in training

I'm playing thru G2 for my 2nd time, this time I'm going to play as a fire wizard. I've leveled up to 8 and I've spent LP's to raise my stats/skills to these levels, I'm still guildless...

30 Str, 30 Dex, 30% 1Hand, 20% Xbow, Skin, Lockpick

Here's my question should I spend my LP's on more strength and 1h skill before I join the fire wizards ?

At 45 str (30base +15 amulet) I can use a rough longsword and the mace&chain (both 1h 45/45). What I am considering is raiseing strength to 45, then use the +15 str ammy and +5 from apples, stew, and dragon roots to boost up to 65 so I can use the orc slayer.

Is 30% 1Hand weapon good enough for taking on single orcs/lizmen ?

I figure 20% Xbow will be plenty skill for occation perching of monsters.

What is a good level to join the monistary ? 10 ?

Do mages need any of the trophey skill ? maybe take heart ?

-rc23
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:06 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

I advice you to be at least trained in one-handed combat so you can make some nice combo's.
Spoiler:
If an orc attacks you, you can take a one-handed weapon and quickly keep swinging from left to right and back again using the Delete and Page Down buttons. If you have focus on the orc, it's almost impossible for him to hit you. This little strategy work on normal orcs, shamans (when wielding melee weapons), undead orcs and elites.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:22 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Just spend it on strength and one-handed, or go for dex and one-handed, in that case you can use dexterity weapons (master sword is as strong as the orcslayer only requires dex instead of strength) and become a decent thief.

You don't need the crossbow level, because all your magic is ranged too. (You could even start over and just let your crossbow skill at 10%, if you really want)

The level you want to join depends: If you want to be a pure mage and use magic as a primary weapon you can go at level 10. If you want to be a fighting mage you should wait and first clean out the entire world of Khorinis, you can get a very good fighter that way (masterstatus and about 70 strength, since you already "wasted" some points on dex and crossbow.)

You don't need take heart, you can buy enough hearts for the best runes.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:51 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

There is really no level at which you should or should not join. Personally, I always clear out the whole world, all places, where I can go, before joining any guild. I do all the quests of all the guild as well, which are required for joining (if there are such quests, i.e. mage guild has none for joining, just get the cash and sheep and done), but simply wont join. This way, I am lvl 18 in CH1 before joining any guild.

I'd suggest getting the STR at least to 100, never hurts to have it there. You may opt on using Master Sword, which does require DEX to be able to wield it, but the damage bonus still comes from STR, so raising plain DEX and not STR wont help you at all, when you have to get "down and dirty" in face to face melee combat. So, if you want to use that weapon, just raise DEX enough to be able to equip it and that's that.

You don't need any ranged skills, you spells will be used for that. Raise weapon skill, at least 1H skill, to 30 or 60, whichever you prefer. You don't need to raise it all the way to 100, but if you want, who's stopping In any case, you need only 30% in 1H melee skill to get somewhat useful combat style, while with 2H you'd need 60%.

As for the rest of the points.. Get that mana up and get them spells. And as I said, 100 STR would not hurt at all. Naturally you have to train that STR and DEX and combat skills BEFORE you join mages, because otherwise these will cost double the LP's. Basically, don't bother to join any guilds until there's nothing else to do in that chapter. And, say, 1H at 30% and STR at 100 will be useful for some time anyway, because spells in circles 1-3 aren't really that useful at all (use summons as cannon fodder on tougher or multiple targets), you'll get first semi-decent damage spells become available in circle 4. So before that, you'll most likely will be using spells to pull the mob from the distance and to soften it up and then finishing with the melee attack.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:26 am