Black Isle Studios: It's all just a rumour says Interplay
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Black Isle Studios: It's all just a rumour says Interplay

It seems all those Black Isle staff looking for new jobs must have misunderstood. Duck and Cover is <a href="http://www.duckandcover.net/#1071536328" target="_blank">reporting</a> a statement from Interplay that assures it's business as usual. Nothing happening here...move along:<blockquote><em>Thanks for your note and comments on Interplay, its games, and recent actions. <br> <br>For some reason, there has been a high amount of speculation about Black Isle Studios and intellectual property surrounding the Fallout license. My only guess is that the source of these rumors must be an employee/employees who recently departed Interplay. <br> <br>My response to these rumors is quite simple: Interplay management makes decisions and takes action on items relating to product, personnel, costs, revenue, and more on a day-to-day basis, none of which would be deemed material by SEC regulations, and none of which would merit a public announcement or press release. <br> <br>Accordingly, if Interplay management had closed its most valuable development asset or chosen to abandon one of its most prized intellectual assets, the Company would have made an announcement. <br> <br>As always, Interplay management is focused on delivering great, profitable games and maximum shareholder value.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:13 am
Garrett

???
This is ridiculous. For almost a week now, the whole RPG world is upside down and all IPlay says is this short notice???
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:14 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

This is a joke right?!! Note the key expressions about profit and shareholders; that's what it's all about now. The suits don't know, or care about gamers.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:19 am

Thats just ********** propaganda.
I certainly believe Damien `Puuk`Foletto much more than some slick Corporate Suit. Look at posts by Tom French and others.
They never officially announced FO3 so they do not lie in this official statement but once again they laughingly spit in the face of us Gamers.

Bah. To hell with this corporation. May they go under with their policy and Titus the one behind this as well.

L.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:19 am

Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: Black Isle Studios: It's all just a rumour says Interpla

quote:
Originally posted by Interplay
As always, Interplay management is focused on delivering great, profitable games and maximum shareholder value.

Eh? when "For Gamers, By Gamers" became "For Shareholders, By Suits?."
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:03 am

After reading...that here´s what one former member of teh Fallout3 team and BIS had to say on NMA:
Huggies

quote:
Oh, crap! I guess this means I'm really freakin' late for work!

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:04 am

cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:

Now that's funny!
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:10 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Even more interesting info from Gamespot:

quote:
GameSpot had planned on posting the Fallout 3 screenshots, but were denied permission by Interplay shortly before this story went live.

quote:
Along with the screenshots, details on Fallout 3's story have also emerged. According to some reports, the hero of the game was a prisoner being held by the Brotherhood of Steel, the high-tech knights whose enclaves dotted the landscapes of Fallout and Fallout 2. According to one report, the game was to be set in the Rocky Mountains, with Denver being mentioned as a specific locale. The same report also said Fallout 3 games could be started at one of several locales, pointing towards an even more expansive version of the first two games' non-linear gameplay.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallout3/news_6085620.html
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:18 am

quote:
After reading...that here´s what one former member of teh Fallout3 team and BIS had to say on NMA:
Huggies

quote:

LOL Thats a real good joke indeed
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:23 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A smokescreen is not going to cover up the raging forest fire in their backyard.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:56 am

Actually, the man is not lying per se... they're not killing off the license or anything along those lines...
Nope, they'll continue humping the hard (and awesome) work of former BiS employees in order to churn out sub standard console titles with the Fallout sticker on them. The truly sad thing about that, is that it will probably not be possible to publish Fallout 3/Van B in any form, as Interplay will hold on to the intellectual property.

*sniffle*
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:09 pm

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Actually, the man is not lying per se... they're not killing off the license or anything along those lines...
Nope, they'll continue humping the hard (and awesome) work of former BiS employees in order to churn out sub standard console titles with the Fallout sticker on them. The truly sad thing about that, is that it will probably not be possible to publish Fallout 3/Van B in any form, as Interplay will hold on to the intellectual property.

As I already predicted in the original news thread. They will never release FO or any other 'desired' licence. Instead, they will stick the BIS logo on the new crappy games and put the tag lines: "by the award winning creators of FO, PS:T, etc". They will also, most likely, milk the FO licence and any others for all they got. Think of the Rocky, or Batman, movie franchises.

And yea, I loved the "late for work" comment. If it wasn't as sad as it was, I'd pee my pants laughing (sort of like when Dilbert comics started to become the actual archive of what was going on at my former workplace, they stopped being funny).
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:45 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I hope that real fun for Interplay will start when BOS will hit shelves with great impact. Most X-Box owners will have zero clue what Fallout is and probably buy some other games they are more familiar with (Fallout 2 was released in 1998 rather before Bill even slipped in the toilet and had vision of X-BOX rulling the world) and to be honest I don`t think game will match their expectations. Those who had contact with Fallout before will probably think sth. like "oh my God this crap with no FPP/TPP shooting and lots of talking. Be gone devil be gone". To sum up I hope this game will achieve sale of sand on Sahara and then real fun for great management of Interplay will start. Have fun guys.
Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:46 pm
Wolfie_

Are the managers of Interplay insane?

quote:
My only guess is that the source of these rumors must be an employee/employees who recently departed Interplay

I cannot believe they actually said this!! Are thet really laying the boot into ex-staff (and only a week after laying them off?). It is never a good idea for a manager/management to bad-mouth departed staff, it simply KILLS morale of the remaining staff!

More than ever, it seems the insane are running the asylum.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:54 pm

corwin

...er, what remaining staff!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:15 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next