AMD CPU Purchase Advice wanted
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

AMD CPU Purchase Advice wanted

I am building a machine for a friend and I want to look into purchasing an AMD CPU instead of an Intel, however, I havent kept up with them lately and I have lost track of exactly how the different CPU's compare to each other.

If someone could post a list of some of the most recent AMD CPU's and their comparable Intel Equivalent I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:32 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

My advise: Don't. Especially if you live anywhere that is even remotely warm.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:26 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

huh?
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:36 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

AMD run their processors hot, even without overclocking. My non-overclocked AMD recently melted my system and I lost everything.

I'm feeling rather bitter.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:02 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I see.

I am sorry to hear that...
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:28 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

my advice: buy Intel
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:32 pm
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Intel Northwood P4s also run pretty hot, over 40+ C with the stock Intel fan. I purchased parts for a new computer for my father (just 2 days ago), and specifically bought a Zalman fan to combat the heat problem. It also runs very quiet. According to the reviews I've read on newegg.com, it should lower the CPU temp to low 30s C even if overclocked a little (for a P4 Northwood at least, which is what I bought my father; he's an Intel fan). A Zalman fan might help control the AMD heat problem if there is one. Also the money your friend would save by going with AMD would easily cover the price of the Zalman fan ($35-40 IIRC).
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:37 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

Depends on how much you can spend on it. The new Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX-53 for socket 939 are very good, although the A64's for socket 754 give more for the money you spend. But there are some advantages with S939 as integrated dual-channel memory controller instead of single-channel, and a protection from the information overflow type of virus attack, which will start working with SP2 for Win XP. But most important is that as good as every test site on the Internet have come to the conclusion that the Intels only beat the AMD's in video rendering and 3D modeling, AMD is far better in games and other things. So my advice is the Athlon 64 3800+ for socket 939, since the FX-53 are very expensive for just a little more performance, and if the 3800+ costs too much, either the 3500+ for S939 or 3400+ for socket 754,

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

if you want to find more about each CPU try out this link:
http://www.cpuscorecard.com/cpuprices/head_amd.htm
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:20 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@Toaster:

Thank you for the recommendations.

Do you know the Intel equivalents of the processors you recommend?

I ask because I have various sources that I can check for prices on each, and I cant know if the AMD is a good deal unless I know what Intel model to compare it against.

@ Everyone:

Thanks for the replies. The Technical reference that Da Undertaker cave looks very useful, BUT doesnt real help me quickly and easily determine Intel equivalents of AMD chips. I will be sure to read it through later though as it does look very insightful. Thanks D. U.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:56 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I can´t say anything about the 64 bit chips except that everybody I know says AMD is the thing to buy as a gamer if you want to go 64 bit. This is new territory for both manufacturers, so Intel can no longer say they were there earlier.

Talking about the older CPUs AMD and Intel CPUs are somewhat comparable in their effective speed. This means an Athlon XP 3000+ is roughly as fast as a P4 3.0 GHz. Add 100 or 200 AMD MHz and you can be sure you´re not slower. AMD´s pseudo rating becomes increasingly ineffective the higher the speed. No big deal, though. 3% more or less only matter if you earn your money with it. Joe Average can´t even see a 10% difference except in games like Doom 3.

The choice of a good mainboard is always critical. All new mainboards have their issues due to the short innovation cycles. Rule of thumb: Only buy what you need now. What you don´t have can´t make trouble.

Good cooling is vital, for both manufacturers.

edit: Here´s the GameStar CPU index. http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/prozessorindex/
Sorting criterion is price in Euro. The graphics shows FPS measured in a number of games. No idea what exactly GameStar chose.
Especially the Athlon 64/3000+ kicks some major ass for 200 EUR.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:28 am
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

About the AMD notes. Athlon XP 3000 doesn't stand for anything else then the comparisation to Intel's 3.0GHz. The real clockspeed is in fact much lower, but they get a better return then the intels. They put a number behind the name to give some kind of comparisation between their CPU's and intels.

About the heat: was an old and now pretty outdated fact of the AMD's. Like Namirrha said: the Intels have that problem too, while AMD made it less a problem. Btw, I think you're no overclocker (neither the friend you're assembling for), so I don't see any problems heat related for now. Unless you're living in a place of +30°C. Then a good cooling is needed. For you and the PC
NFG member
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:13 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. That should be enough info for me to make a decision.

@ Bartacus:

No I'm not an overclocker. I did dabble in it a while back but it scared me more than Doom 3 does, and thats saying something... (I have had to buy a whole new wardrobe of pants because of that game).

Edit:

P.S. Is there any particular motherboard you would recommend if I were to purchase the Athlon 64 3000+?
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:34 pm
DA UNDERTAKER
souls will cry
souls will cry

i'm sorry that link i gave you didn't giue up much info, but i have got more links . you should check them out:

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.htm

http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/CPUPricesAMD.htm (mostly for prices)

http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm (a preformance test run on which is better-Intel or AMD)

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ (AMD's howepage)

Last edited by DA UNDERTAKER on Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:30 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Val
My advise: Don't. Especially if you live anywhere that is even remotely warm.

I think you're being rather unfair. I'm sorry to hear that your computer was fried (literally), but I know a lot of people who would place their lives on the reliability of AMD processors. I'm getting an AMD XP 2500+ myself.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:14 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next