Might & Magic Mobile Impressions @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Might & Magic Mobile Impressions @ GameSpot

GameSpot has posted <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/mobile/adventure/mightandmagic/preview_6106727.html" target="_blank">impressions</a> from playing 'Might & Magic' Mobile.<blockquote><em>Gameloft's first action RPG will bear the Might and Magic name, and be set in its world, Erathia. In the game, you play as Ewan, a young soldier summoned to free a king from demonic forces, with which the humanoid races of Erathia are at war. Fortunately, Ewan has been blessed with the power to control the elements, abilities that are useful for more than just combat. In addition to Ewan, you'll be able to play as two other characters--a shapeshifting vampire and an arrow-toting elf. The three will have to work in conjunction to complete the game's light puzzle-solving elements, as well as to combat the growing demonic menace, eventually confronting its leader in his magmatic lair. The near-beta version we saw was very playable, with only some bugs to fix and storylines to finalize before the game's September-October release.</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:39 am
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

/mourns the passing of a great legacy in rpg gaming
Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:40 am
'hoyp

Well, at least might and magic tribute is still in development.
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:51 am

Why the hell all those necromants from game industry cannot let old games in peace?
Bard's Tale as a stupid action RPG, Might and Magic as well ...
I have nothing against making action RPGs (though I do not like them ...), but they could stop abusing names of great RPGs from past (with which they have nothing in common).
I wonder when somebody comes with Wizardry action RPG ...
I sincerely wish to all of these games complete business failures and hope that their developers will spend rest of their miserable lives as beggars...

Mirek
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:58 pm

Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Why the hell all those necromants from game industry cannot let old games in peace?
Bard's Tale as a stupid action RPG, Might and Magic as well ...
I have nothing against making action RPGs (though I do not like them ...), but they could stop abusing names of great RPGs from past (with which they have nothing in common).
I wonder when somebody comes with Wizardry action RPG ...
I sincerely wish to all of these games complete business failures and hope that their developers will spend rest of their miserable lives as beggars...

Mirek

Wasn't Brian Fargo directly involved with the original The Bard's Tale? And for that matter if you have nothing against action RPGs then why do you consider them a form of abuse? The action RPG subgenre is no better or worse than the dungeon crawler one. Besides, Bard's Tale isn't really a name that can be milked for all that much anymore. It's a fairly obscure RPG of an all but dead subgenre.

If Brian Fargo thinks he can make an action RPG that's worthy of the Bard's Tale name I say all the luck to him. I'll play the game before I pass judgement on it. Sure, it's not a remake of the original or even a pure sequel to them, but so what?

As for Might and Magic, I don't see how an action RPG is any more abuse, on a principle level, than a strategy game. If the game is poor, rushed, and/or cheap then it is indeed an abuse. But if it's a quality game then it's not. The quality of the game is far more important in the end than the specifics of the gameplay style.

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:53 am

Action Wizardry = Dungeon Lords
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:30 pm

Destroth

Theres Devils Whiskey if you want to play old school Bards Tale. I think the new verson looks like its full of humor and there probibly be some good inside jokes about the original game. Fargo has never let us down yet and look at all the great RPGs he's created.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:06 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Priest4hire

The quality of the game is far more important in the end than the specifics of the gameplay style.

I have never heard such a silly statement.
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:12 am

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
Originally posted by Priest4hire

The quality of the game is far more important in the end than the specifics of the gameplay style.

I have never heard such a silly statement.

Yes, majority of people have preferences (they do not play everything). The best sport game of universe is basically worthles for somebody who likes classic dungeons. Something similar goes for action RPGs.
Once more: I have nothing against action RPGs, but why cannot they use original titles (they can keep names like Diablo, Sacrifice etc., but they should leave Bards Tale, Might and Magic etc alone).
As for strategy games from MM world - they used to complement RPGs - story went from strategy to RPG to strategy to RPG. They were not replacement for classic RPGs, but rather complements. There is nothing like that in case of the new Bard's tale, Might and Magic Mobile etc. Here they are replacing one type of games by another.

Mirek
Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:22 pm