Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Help this one week old newbie Gothic player Please!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Tyre Gryphon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just started playing Gothic about a week ago. I love it so far intensly..talk about freedom. Well with this freedom I have come up with some questions that need to be answered especially now after reading a lot from this board.

Note: Please don't give any cheat resolves.

I really want to enjoy the game for what it is. Unless there is no other way to accomplish it due a bug where you have to use Marvin and et al...

1. I heard some here talk about chapters in the game. Of course at the beginning at the trading dock where I started, it came up with a splash screen saying "Chapter 1". Now in my character screen and Notes/messages screen it doesn't show what chapter I am currently in. is there any way to know what chapter you are currently in? Sometimes I wonder if I have missed a splash screen to inform me of any new chapters I have entered. Especially since I do see some bugs and cross over speech that suggests things can happen and not show any changes.

2. I have basically killed most mine crawlers in the old mine, except past the gate where I need to have some Psi (sect) camp templars aid me. But right before that gate there is a Ore crusher which a guard answers to me about the lazy Orc slave not working due to a missing Gearwheel. Well I have possession of a gearwheel I found in a cave near another ore crusher no longer in use which I killed some minecrawlers to get it. How ever I tried everything I could think of to repair the ore crusher myself. The guard says nothing more about the gear and I have even set the gear on the ground at his feet and bet the hell out of the Orc slave to talk to me. But still no reslove to this. Anyone know what I am to do?

3. I read here on the board some one talking about changing stats. Not only for yourself but also on Thorus and Gomez. How do you change stats? I see no way to modify the the character screen let alone even scroll through the list of your stats. If this is done by cheating or using a 3rd party prog. forget it. Just tell me I don't want to know

4. When I go to save or load my game it shows to the right "World:" and below it saying "world" what is this for? are there other realms I will go to eventually? or is this some feature for add-ons, expansion and/or Gothis 2? Please no spoils though if you can tell without being too informative.

5. I have trained my one-handed weapons skill twice which brought it from untrained to trained then to master. Is this right? There is no inbetween? Also it shows to be 10% is that meaning my critical hit ratio? does it get higher? does my strength raising make it higher?

Oh BTW, maybe I can add some helpful information for your help you will be giving me

Just incase any of you out there that don't know this this should be a bit helpful with this generic controls Gothic has given us. I am a hardcore gamer that is use to loving my mouse use. So, I found out (since the manual or even in the control menu doesn't show or allow mouse button functions to be modified. I found out that not only your left mouse acts as the action key but also as enter key when in conversations with NPC's. Also the right mouse is used as the jump button. I know more than likely you all probably figured this out way before I even stated playing Gothic. But I am sure there will be a few others that will say...Wow, Cool ...Thx Tyre... I love my mouse

Well, thx for all your help ppl....Hope you all are enjoying Gothic as much as I am.

PS. I do wonder eventhough I am showing to be dedicated to the Old Camp and fooling the New and the Psi (sect) camp. If I can really be truly neutral and eventually raid all the camps. I always wanted to play the role of the outcaster and use them empty caves and underwater caverns for hiding places from the ppl that have a price on my head.
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:44 pm
dunno
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

1. Unfortunately, no, I don't think there is anyway to tell what chapter you are in.

2. Give it to Ian.

3. I think the cheat codes do it.

4. World means you are in the overland world. If you save when you're in the mine, it'll probably say "mine" or something.

5. Yes, that is right. All combat skills can only be trained twice. The percentage tells your chances of making a critical hit. It only goes up with training. Single-hand and double-hand max at 10%, bows at 30%, crossbows at 40%. 1pt of strength equals 1pt more damage. The amount of damage you do is the sum of your strength and the weapon's damage rating. However, this only applies to melee. Ranged weapons do not receive any such bonuses (can't really shoot a bow "harder") and therefore it is somewhat compensated with higher chances for critical hits.

[ This Message was edited by: dunno on 2002-01-11 18:07 ]
Post Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:59 pm

1. I doubt you will miss any of the new chapter splash screens. They stay up awhile and may only be relevant if you need to let someone else know where you are in the game (which you can do just by describing anyway).

2. Go back up the mine and talk to the people on the way.

3. cheats

4. Don't concern yourself with this.

5. Everything sounds correct, but the critical hit ratio does not get higher. You should also notice if you are timing the swings right that your character has some nifty moves when he uses one handed swords. In other words do not press the action key as fast as you can, use timing, it works much better.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:07 am