Absolutely loving this game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Absolutely loving this game...

Why the heck wasn't this game marketed better? Gothic is one of the best games I've played in a long time.

It should be on a pedestal. It should have a spotlight shining on it. It should have an annoying guy in a suit pointing at it, smiling, and giving a pitch, while cheesy music is blaring in the background.

This game should be more well known! Sheesh, even Deer Hunter is more well known than Gothic!

To the Gothic developers... you have created a wonderful game! I'm really enjoying playing it... it's like a good book that I just can't put down. My wife is upset with me and everything! One tip: Please don't ever let Electronic Arts buy your company. EA wrecks good developer houses such as yours. Thanks for listening.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:03 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

So ture. Glad you are enjoying it.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:47 pm
Mr. Mud
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes, it is a very good game and very poorly advertised. A warning though, be very careful in chapter 5 (maybe chapter 4). If, all of a sudden, it becomes really quiet, and all of the animals lift their heads up and look to the North, and you turn and look at what they see, run as fast as you can in the opposite direction. It is none other than Max Killen and his infamous Nellik's Sword. There is no defeating him. I think he is invinceable or something. He is a real hero. But very tough. Thought I would warn you. No one has been able to defeat him yet..
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:49 pm
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

Neptiofpovar,

I was wondering the exact same things as I was playing Gothic for the first time. I was frustrated and angry that it didn't get the attention it most certainly deserves. Gothic is the best that has happened to PC adventure/fantasy games since... Outcast. But, I think Gothic 2 is getting alot more promotion than G1 ever got. So I am hoping that as G2 gets popular then more people are going to wonder "What happened in the first part, I've never played it!" and buy it too.

The world of Gothic is something else alright
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:21 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Agree..

SlamDunk I hope you are right... hopefully Gothic 2 will do everything that Gothic 1 did right and more... if so I hope the devs have the budget to market the game properly beccause as far as I'm concerned, while still excellent games, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, and Morrowind lack the kind of game dynamics Gothic includes... which should have ranked Gothic, in terms of marketing, up there with the 3 aformentioned games.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:07 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Agree..

quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
[...] I hope the devs have the budget to market the game properly.[...]

This is not their business. The publisher (JoWooD) developes a marketing plan and makes <i>all</i> decisions regarding marketing.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 8:51 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe JoWooD should do a little better...
I havn't seen one Gothic advertisment my entire life...
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:15 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I even havenīt seen a single JoWooD logo on any Gothic 1 related product!
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 9:31 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Agree..

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:
Originally posted by Neptiofpovar
[...] I hope the devs have the budget to market the game properly.[...]

This is not their business. The publisher (JoWooD) developes a marketing plan and makes <i>all</i> decisions regarding marketing.

Ok let me rephrase, I hope JoWood has a bigger budget to market the game properly.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:51 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Gamespot doesn't even have Gothic 2 in it's preview section. The only reason I heard of Gothic 1 in the first place was because I saw it on a list of about two hundred games, and I thought the name was cool so I looked for more information. And I'm certainly glad I did! Not only was it a fantastic game but I found this site only because it was listed on Gothic's official English site.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:23 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yup...Gamespot can be a little late at picking up foreign games prior to release. (Tell me if I spelled foreign wrong)
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:03 am