Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Hints, tips, and SPOILERS from a first time RPG player!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
NeWFnlou
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hints, tips, and SPOILERS from a first time RPG player!

Well, with the help of the walkthru and one forum post response, I made it all the way through Arx-Fatalis!
For any other players who are "new" to RPG games like me (a hardcore FPS guy), here are some hints and tips that helped me make it! (spoilers below)

By the end of the game my ExPoints were: 97,029
Strength=11
Mental=12
Dexterity=12
Constitution=13

Defense=87
Casting=75
Close Combat=72

First off, I had to start over because the Lich in the temple early on kept kicking my butt. So, I created a character that was strong, with better resistance to magic, and good combat skills. Do that and you will die WAY LESS!!! Learn how to pre-cast spells and always have about two fireballs precast. Fireball seems to be the all around best offensive spell in the game.

Buy or make "invisble potions" and "Mana Potions" whenever possible and save them up for Lichs. Precast three Fireball spells, then make yourself invisible. Walk right up to the Lich while invisible and unload all three while swinging away with your biggest weapon. He will drop like a sack of potatoes

The Ylsides ALWAYS use the "speed spell", so you should too. I found that they eventually give up chasing you, so preload two or three fireball spells and then use the "speed spell" to confront them. Make them chase you right to the point that where they give up (Like at level changes) , then UNLOAD SOME FIREBALLS Sit around near the level changes to get your mana back up and eat some food and pre-cast your fireballs and then repeat as necessary until they evaporate. Temprarily jump into the next level if you need serious power ups.

When the Ylsides have taken over Arx, you can use the level itself to help you defeat them. Take on only one at a time and try to stand in a position where you can see them but they can't see you. Shoot fireballs at them and if you are higher up (on a walkway for example) they can't see you so they run around in circles giving you time to mana up and shoot more This takes longer, but you die less and play more

If you are sick and tired of not being able to pick locks with a "tool kit", then cast the "Bless Spell" and THEN attempt to pick the lock. Half the time it works and you get in Also, the "Bless Spell" enables you to put on armor and select weapons that your charcter normally says "I'm not able to do that yet" too.

For most enemies - the posioned dagger used by the rat-men seems to be most effective. Plus, it's a lot of fun to watch your enemies turn green while you are slaying them LOL!

For the rebels camp, I couldn't figure out how to go into any of the forbidden areas, so I simply killed the guards and stole the Krahoz. This, of course, pisses off ALL of the rebels and they all attack you. So, perhaps a game flaw but it works - Once you have the Krahoz, run back up the ramps to the Rebel Leader's room where you started the level. For some reason, all of the rebels begin chasing you up the ramp but mysteriously jump off by themselves to great injury before they ever reach you LOL! You can either sit there and tease them with fireball shots from above or just slay them one by one as they charge up the ramp

The lava pit jumping sucked. I used a game flaw to help me get from the last platform to the other side. Take a long sword from your inventory and place it on the platform so that it is hanging mostly off the platform and over the Lava. You can then carefully walk to the edge of the sword and jump from there to the other side, which is a shorter distance than attempting to jump from the platform itself.

To kill the dragon. piss it off with a fireball, then jump back up to the entrace of her cave. She seems unable to reach up there and her head will keep digging in the ice below your feet. Then, jump on her back and keep stabbing her with the green posined dagger and shooting her with fireballs. For some reason, she never tries to back up or buck you off and she can't freeze you while you are on her back. Once she is dead (I learned from this board) you can simply walk up underneath one of the purple hanging eggs and select it for your inventory.

To kill Akbaa (at the end of the game), DON'T waste your time attempting to cast any of the killer hard-core spells on him like incenerate, they simply don't work. In fact, Fireballs don't work half the time either. What DOES work, however is the simple offensive spell "magic missle". Once again, here is another game flaw but it works and you will defeat him - neither He NOR the red beasties he summons can touch you if you run as high up as you can on the curved vertical wall-railings located on the sides of the staircases and alter. From the saftey of this perch, you can shoot magic missles at Akbaa and slice and dice on the beasties without a scratch. Be careful to not get too close to him or he uses that vacume cleaner spell that sucks you up to a quick death. Just run up to him, unleash a full power slice with your sword, then run back up the curved wall-railing and re-juice. And now for the final kill - Walk down the railing until your feet are just about level with Akbaa's head. Now cast the levitate spell, then float over top of him and repeatedly hit him from above with your sword. After about ten swipes you will be watching the credits

So there it is. Fun game! I may re-play it and try some of the other quests that I skipped the first time.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:30 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Good plans

Thanks, I for one appreciate your effort, makes the game a little less daunting for a beginner.
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:59 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Never used a bless spell to increase my lockpicking skills and your "sword" trick made me laugh! What if putting a sword after another sword and so on?

Thanks NeWFnlou, nice points in your post.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:24 am
NeWFnlou
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Y'all!

My Pleasure:) I posted the above because THESE were the things that gave ME fits trying to progress and I couldn't always find the answers on the boards.

I thought of a few more tips to add:

1)Getting Polsius to sign the damn Gem Dealer's license while he is in the bar - For some reason, he doesn't always want to do this right away. In fact, the first four times I clicked on it and then clicked on him he kept telling me "Bring me the license and I will sign it". SO - I walked upstairs, re-talked to everyone up there and then went back downstairs and talked to Polsius. THEN he finally signed it.

2)Getting the fifth and final Akbaa Stone - I got the key from the bedpost by putting the candle in the skull on the right on the table, but the damn CHEST would not unlock for me!?!?!?! So.......I walked around, screwed around with a few other things, then came back and tried it three more times. Seems the third time was the charm and it unlocked

In fact, thinking back on it, A LOT of the tasks seemed to be like this. If at first you don't succeed, try try again LOL!

3)If you kill a human, be prepared for ALL humans to want to kill you on sight. Forget about solid police work or eye-witnesses. If you kill ANY human (even in "secret") ALL humans throughtout the levels instantly KNOW you did and hate you. I found this quirk to be rather lame.

4)KEYS - so many damned unlabled keys. My advice would be - if you use a key and it works and you don't believe you will EVER go back into that room again.....TOSS IT! I can't tell you how many times I clicked on 15 different keys until I FINALLY found the one I wanted. Keep the keys that have names on them and keep the key to the rebel base, but all those "a little metal key" deals are ONE SHOT ONLY!

5)Don't drink too much wine. It's not really good for power ups and it can screw you up later on in the game.

6)Whenever you encounter HUGE stores of food - eat half of it and save half of it. Otherwise your character will be saying "I'm hungry" all the damn time.

7)Learn the "Mega Vitae" or "health" spell and learn how to cast it on the fly. That way, if your manna is good but your health is low, you don't have to worry about clicking your "life potions" until emergencies.

If I think of more I'll post them
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:32 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Um, about the keys... you should have gotten the key ring... Duh.

Place all keys found on it and then use key ring on doors/chests/locks. Yey!

As for the health potions, there's a hotkey for that. (h usually).
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:20 am
toddhd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This was a great post, thanks for doing it. Hopefully others will add to it. Here are a few more:

1) You can "pre-cast" spells by holding down the shift key as well as the ctrl key when casting. You can queue up 3 spells in advance this way, and then rapid fire them by using the 1,2 and 3 keys. This skill is invaluable, learn it right away and use it, because monsters aren't patient about letting stop and cast in the middle of a fight.

2) Food is rather plentiful in Arx. I wouldn't bother trying to pickup every morsel of food you find, just carry enough to keep from being hungry all the time. Oh, and when you kill a RAT, search it's body for ribs. You'll have to cook them, but they are a plentiful source of food as well.

3) In the King's castle, the King will give you a room of your own. There is bag in one of the chests that will double what you can carry. Get it right away.
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 2:28 am
cobosdan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What a devilish mind you have ...

For so many valuable insights, Thanks a lot man !
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:08 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What could I add?
...apart from THANKS A LOT of course...
Post Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:06 pm
BrokenArts
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

n00b here, I too share my thanks. Have sooo much to learn, but, well worth it.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:55 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Does anybody know...?

Just curious if anybody has tried stealing Krahoz, then putting it back in the chest and getting and returning the Shield of the Elders to see if you can get the EX points for getting Krahoz that way as well?

I'm trying it now, but I don't want to mess up my game. I saved just before I went in to steal it, so I can reload from there if I have to.

Also, after I stole/replaced Krahoz, I went back to the Rebel Leader, who says that if I can find who stole Krahoz or return it, she will reward me well. Does anybody know what the reward is? And, more importantly, does anyone know if you can steal it, return it, then steal and return it again? Do you get the EX points every time you steal it?

So many questions, so few answers.......
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:25 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

You can kill any guard, person or crowds without the whole town level going hostile. Just cast CONFUSE on them and others that may see you do it. The computer NPC AI does not know that it was you that killed them and thus you get extra points and the town will not go hostile on you.

Arrows kills, from far away enough, will also do it too.

INCENERATE spell by touch then walk away, the NPC explodes, you get EXP but the town still loves you.

I wish they would put SOME RESPAWN monsters in game so that people can "level-up" a bit more to get to the next level. There is not enough experience points to get to level 10 and think that is frustrating and makes me want to cheat and kill everything for that last stinking few points. It really ruins the game.

I would like to EARN the experience at least by killing a respawned monster or rats, even if it takes alot, just so that I do not have to resort to a lame
cheat, to get some needed experience or want to reach level 10 for my ego satisfaction.

I am glad to hear that they are changing Miguel's chest so that you can sell all the loot you get without it getting full, which was causing me to go back to cheating to get gold. Patch 1.16.

Can you make Twin Dealers chest resest and reload also? By having infinite wooden stakes( or peices of wood to cut with knife), you can cast "raise the dead" then kill them, put a stake in them, for 120 experience points. As is, there is a limited number of stakes.

We reallly need some monsters to respawn please.....
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:11 am