Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Queastion about ATI 9800pro performance...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Blacklotus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Queastion about ATI 9800pro performance...

I'm considering to buy an ATI 9800PRO but before doing it I'd like to know which is the average performace you can get with these settings in khorinnis city (for example)

1280x1024x32bits with some degree of AA and AF and full game quality settings on (ie. everything on, 300% far distance/object view, etc)

I mainly would like to know if it's worth buying the board compared to my GF3 Ti500.

For example, I play at 1280x1024x32bits with Quinqunx AA on and in some populated areas ( ~50k tris ) performance drops to 5-10 fps which is very almost unplayable.

I think the board would be worth buying it if I could get +40FPS in the worst scenary...otherwise I would not be willing to pay $450 for it...I'd rather wait for better boards to come...

My system: Athlon2400XP/768DDR266/GF3 Ti500

Thanks

PD to activate fps counter do the following : In the game, press B to open char stats, then type FRATE, and then ESC...you should be seeing the fps counter in the upper left corner of the screen.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

40 fps minimum? Never.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:15 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i have on my ati rage radeon 9000 in khorinis like 4-5 FPS with those resos
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:25 pm
Blacklotus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
40 fps minimum? Never.

well just to say something...+30 would be ok too... but no less than that for a $450 board...

I mean, to play at 5-10fps or 10-20fps does not make that big difference ...but if I'd be getting at least +30fps or more it could be worth the money... even more considering upcoming games will probably be as complex as G2 is...

thx for the reply
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:18 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Blacklotus
well just to say something...+30 would be ok too... but no less than that for a $450 board...

Don't even expect 30 FPS minimum, especially when you're maxxing your Smoothvision details (i.e. AA/AF), resolution, viewing distance, and general graphic qualities. You don't even have a high-class machine (2GHz CPU and 768 MB RAM is a bit... well...). So, expect 10-25 FPS in complicated area, such as the city.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:16 pm
Blacklotus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Boy
quote:
Originally posted by Blacklotus

Don't even expect 30 FPS minimum, especially when you're maxxing your Smoothvision details (i.e. AA/AF), resolution, viewing distance, and general graphic qualities. You don't even have a high-class machine (2GHz CPU and 768 MB RAM is a bit... well...). So, expect 10-25 FPS in complicated area, such as the city.

yep I know...my guess though is that system's bottleneck is on the graphics adapter not on CPU/RAM ...

For example, G2 uses only about ~300MB of RAM while in game which still leaves a good amout of free RAM in my system ...and for what refers to CPU, it has no too complex AI/Physics/Shadows so I think a 2400XP should be more than enough to handle the game CPU requirements.

That's why I though an ATI 9800pro with 128RAM maybe could handle +30fps or so in G2's most complex scenaries...it has very good GPU power, low AA/AF performance impact & twice AGP speed,RAM & higher bandwith my GF3 has.

but well...that's only "theory"...what really matters are the real fps ati9800pro owners are getting ...so I could really tell if it's worth the money compared to what I'd expect of such an expensive board.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:57 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

First of all, get a 9700 pro (if you can still find one) not a 9800 pro.
The $100 difference in price is NOT worth it, trust me I've done the research. Second of all, if you're running with an AthlonXP 2400+, (I've got the same cpu) then you would be wasting the power of an 9800 pro anyways because you need a faster cpu pushing behind it to get the full potential out of it. I'm running a 2400+ on an nforce 2 mobo with 512 mb of pc2100 (2 x 256) and a 9700 pro. Gothic 2 runs great at 1024x768 with
4xfsaa and 16xanistropic. I have texture and model settings at maximum as well as view distance maxed out.

BTW: It doesn't matter what kind of system you have, Gothic 2 is not going to run quite as fast in the city. The developers themselves have stated this.
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:47 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

some ppl also told that it will go fast if u have fast HDDs so u can try to find ide raid controllers and check it out if it goes better after that
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:44 am
Blacklotus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
First of all, get a 9700 pro (if you can still find one) not a 9800 pro.
The $100 difference in price is NOT worth it, trust me I've done the research. Second of all, if you're running with an AthlonXP 2400+, (I've got the same cpu) then you would be wasting the power of an 9800 pro anyways because you need a faster cpu pushing behind it to get the full potential out of it. I'm running a 2400+ on an nforce 2 mobo with 512 mb of pc2100 (2 x 256) and a 9700 pro. Gothic 2 runs great at 1024x768 with
4xfsaa and 16xanistropic. I have texture and model settings at maximum as well as view distance maxed out.

BTW: It doesn't matter what kind of system you have, Gothic 2 is not going to run quite as fast in the city. The developers themselves have stated this.

Thanks a lot for the advice

I've checked nearby shops and they only seem to have for sale ATI 9700 (non-pro) which is far more cheap than 9800pro ( 250E )

Do you know think it's still worth it ? (because is the non-pro I mean)
also...you think it'll make a noticeable difference compared to a GF3 Ti500 ?

thanks
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:33 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

You would notice a big difference between a Radeon 9700, even the non-pro version, and a Geforce 3 if you like to run FSAA and AF. You won't see a real big difference in a game like Gothic though because Gothic uses a graphic engine built on Direct X 7. What that means is that it's not likely that your video card is the bottleneck when you're playing Gothic because a Geforce 3 ti 500 should be able to handle that game without a problem.
If you want to run 4 X FSAA all the time though, then you might want to consider getting that 9700 (pro or non). Do you live in the United States?
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 7:23 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

indeed u can buy a top video card but it will still look the same like it was
Post Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:44 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ahhh! all the geek slang is giving me a headache adn the 9700 non pro would still improve the game
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:51 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Benchmarking bottlenecks

What you need to do is benchmark bottlenecks while playing G2. I'm not an expert but I'm no slouch either. Hit cntrl alt del, run task manager while your playing. See what your CPU usuage is. If it's pegged then you know that a faster processor could help. You can track page faults, um, somehow, that is how often your memory is being cached to your HD to make room for more data. There might be a setting in G2 to bump how much of the game is loaded into memory? I have to agree that a new video card probably won't solve the issues especialy if the engine is dx7. I would look at other bottlenecks first then look at your video card which by the way is a very decent card. If I were you I'd save my money and wait to build a faster system in a year. One other thing, make sure you're running the latest nvidia drivers, 18mb.. Let us know what you find.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:09 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm btw i did that and my CPU is on 100% usage thats no good my cpu is AMD Athlone 2100+xp i dont think so that gothic takes all that away on one game :\
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:08 pm
PlanetSide
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have a 128meg 9800 pro and its a great card, it has more than enough power to run Gothic 2. This I know because there is not the tiniest drop in performance between running the game at 6x AA and 16x AF and no AA & AF. The image quality is excellent too, far better than any other card out there especially with maxx aa and af, so no it definately will not look the same. However it is impossible to get 30+ fps in the city, I cant and i have a P4 2.6 @ 3.13 effectively 3.4, and 512 mb ram. On my system, the only way to get 30 fps in the city is by putting view distance to 100%. You should probably consider getting more ram for your computer if you want to run it at 300% in the city, but if you want to have kick ass image quality get the 9800, but i think the 9700 pro would also handle Gothic 2 without sweating.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:56 am