Usergroups
Gothic Demo [no spoilers please]
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SlamDunk
Village Leader
Village Leader

I tested the demo with my AMD TB 933MHz + 512MB + GF4 Ti 4400 @ 1600x1200x32 and all of the game settings at max. The performance was surprisinlgy smooth all the way. Nice job PB!!

Despite the fact that I don't understand German so the quests are impossible to accomplish, I liked the demo and, IMHO, it's the good old Gothic with better and richer visuals. The controls are simpler to use also.

Me likes. Me waits for the English version even more eagerly now
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:33 pm
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

me too , but i might even be able to get a new comp cause im gonna get a job in january gonna have to work HARD if i wanna get a comp before it comes out i probably wont make it maybe , if not ill wait till i get the new comp if i dont i will play it on the one i got now
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:03 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I got a amd 1ghz, 384 ram and a geforce 3 it runs perfectly but when i acces the castel gate environment, inside it i mean...it gets DAMN slow...damn..and i was so happy it ran so smooth until that place came around.

anyway. i don't understand anything of it as it's in german, would be great if we could have an english demo before the years end...
anyway, i entered the castle gate , well...i managed, but got killed cuz i don't know how i can oficially enter the castlegate, what to say and stuff...so how do i get in?

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:04 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Definatly has the old gothic feel still, I really like it, even though I don't know german. (my mom actually came into my room to see why she could hear german coming from my inside, both from the game, and me trying to read the names of things out laud. lol)

Runs pretty good @ 1024x768 with the 2 sliders @ 40% and the detail levels at the 2nd lowest. This on an Athlon 1.2ghz, 768mb pc-133, and a Radeon 64mb ddr. (7200) but goes pretty slow with any higher settings. (Didnt bug around with it too much, since I dont even know most of what I am changing )

The game feels really nice, the combat is still great, was having fun aimlessly killing stuff, and just looking around. Even with all the details low, I still enjoy it so far and I would still buy the game even if I have to keep them low to play it.

Just my 2 cents on the demo.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:51 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Korzen
Probably no english voices yet.

Well, KaiRo said that the English recordings were done at the end of November. And if I were doing this, I would make sure that the English bits that correspond to the demo were done first.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:08 am
Dreconis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You know if you guys had a little patients like me and other people you would wait for the english demo which is sure to come out soon. They want people to play the demo right so of course they are going to try and get the english version out asap. Anyway I dont even know if I am going to play the demo at all because it would ruin some of the experience for me.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:00 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Still interesting to run the demo just to get a feel for the graphics and performance... better than screenshots!

Does anyone else find the sky too dark? The textures are beautiful, the models are low-poly but that's understandable with all the trees and plants, but even at midday the sky doesn't seem luminous enough. I played with the video settings but couldn't find a satisfactory solution.

I like all the shooting stars at night though.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:01 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The torch thing is in the full version too - but it was already in Gothic I.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:33 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Well, I finally managed to download the demo thingy and play it on my old P3 600 w/ 256MB and G400MAX videocard. And surprise... at medium settings G2 runs very well! Actually, it runs as smooth as G1, but looks a lot better. No harddisk thrashing, nothing.

About G2: I need more money, more strength, better gear, hate bloodflies, but so far it looks, feels and plays... whoohoo! It's really very nice, those PB hippies seem to have done it again!

On the sky: I think it looks absolutely lovely. Maybe you need to up your brightness/contrast/gamma a bit, which is what I did. It's the water that looks like crap here, at least I think those white fluffy blobs on a dark background are to be interpreted as "water". Go figure... even the textures need translating here.

Regardless, I'm impressed!
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:01 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

Hi cool demo
I found Lester Does anybody know when the English demo comes out?

Gothic II Credits
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:18 pm
Darkfall14
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i played the demo, and all i can say is "wow". i know some german, so it was fun trying to pick up some new words! lol but i love how one can explore and find stuff like caches of equipment hidden in the flora.....i actually like the sound of the german voice actors than the english ones...it's a shame you can't buy a german version with english subtitles..
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:15 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Too bad though that the battlesystem seems all the same, i remember reading a part in a preview where it said: new battle system etc...

also what controls Change when you uncheck gothic1 controls in options?
and i just HATE those minecrawler-like creatures, they even bigger now and they scare the shit outta me.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:52 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Those critters aren't minecrawlers - they are called 'Feldräuber' (~field raiders) and are - as it seems - bigger relatives of our native potato beetles (the minecrawlers looked more like ants).
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:05 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Did you manage to kill one?
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:15 pm
Freakie
The Noble Demon
The Noble Demon

quote:
Originally posted by Korzen
Did you manage to kill one?