How I got Morrowind to run on a below minimum spec PC
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How I got Morrowind to run on a below minimum spec PC

First off, my first post under this alias, browsing RPGDot so I guess I thought I'd give the forums a try.

I'm so happy about being able to run Morrowind. I've being saving up for a new PC as my current comp:

PIII 450Mhz
192 MB RAM
WinXP
Riva TNT 16mb

would not be able to run MW. Anyway I thought I'd buy MW just to stare at the glossy manual, but to my suprise, after optimizing my system for MW (Highest desktop resoloution, Rendelius' setup tips, and a higher AGP aperture (GTA3 prefers 4mb), using MemTurbo2 to clear up physical RAM to 180mb) I end up with 5FPS! Now in my opinion, this is playable. I start in the ship at 8FPS and in Seyda Neen I have a 5-6FPS... supprisingly in Balmora (which from what I've read is lag central) I get 6-7FPS. For a nice, slow game such as Morrowind I find 5FPS not only adequate, but enjoyable!

My comp was alway a bit of a workhorse, not to mention my incredible expertise .

So far I have taken the RP character generation, choosing what I prefer as opposed to what works best: I have a Imperial Archer/Spellcaster, but as soon as I get home I'll think I'll change it to Archer/Light Swordsman.

I haven't tried the wilderness FPS or how combat may be affected, but walking appears to be smooth. I have't downloaded the patch yet, as I have heard that it refuses to allow a no_CD crack to be applied (a little executable I've had in My Documents ever since I saw it on these forums, before I got MW).

Well I'm just glad to be playing, hope you realise when your complaining about 7FPS, think of us who play below that with no AA and pixelshaders .
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:01 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Wow Early Q!, first congratulation for getting you comp to run MW! - even with only Riva TNT 16mb graphic card!!. Jeez i really feel your pain - bought MW home but then only could stare at that glossy box & manual & such, that's really sucks man!.

As about FPS around 5-6 at Seyda Neen, yeah i think that also acceptable for me. Hell, even with my system (1Ghz Athlon, 256 Ram, GF2 Pro, Winxp) i only got 1-2 FPS higher than your & in Balmora only about 7-8 FPS!, heh apparently not much different. Maybe you could optimised your pc some more; try defragment HD, do it 2-3 times as sometime your HD files just too fragmented.

Now enjoy MW!, don't hurrying finish the game or powergaming, as i did & found out you could miss many things & feel anticlimax (you become too powerful thus ain't fun anymore). Just free yourself in the world of Morrowind, tries out freelancing jobs, make a hobbies yourself = reading/collecting books; collect pearl,ruby, diamons; raiding tomb/dwemer ruins, vampires hunting or joint them, stealing/bribery/backstabbing, become honorable warrior, evil mages/wizard...oh jeez i should stop just enjoy MW & happy adventuring!

Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:56 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Congratulations Early Q, great that you can run Morrowind. Enjoy the game

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:21 pm