How does MM9 compare with 8?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

How does MM9 compare with 8?

I loved 6 and 8 (the only two I've played so far), but how does 9 compare? I've heard some bad things, but not necessarily from fans of the series.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:02 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I am a big fan of the series having played 3 through 9. How could you miss 7? Personally, my fav is 6, but I think that 7 is probably a better overall game.

9 has *some* of the M&M flavor, but it feels unfinished. The attention to detail is not there. I did not see where using the lithtech engine added anything to the game...in fact I thought it detracted .

THe NPC should be more flexible since you no longer kill 2,000 of each monster type ( ) but they are not...and the wandering teachers are a *PAIN*.

I felt boxed in, and limited in my movement more often than I would've liked, and (despite an obsene score) spent way too much time waiting for a boat to the next place (town portal cast by a master is a MUST). THe first promotion quest does not yeild enough improvement in the characters, I actually felt sort of cheated like ... all it did was increase training costs!

That rant out of the way, the I *love* the skill system, parts of the story and some of the dungeons.

All in all your money would be better spent picking up a copy of MM7 - it is a MUCH better game, with graphics just as good as 9 (tho different).
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:25 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Gotta agree with Lintra- I see copies of MM7 around pretty regularly. Do yourself a favor and pick that one up. Since I haven't given MM9 much chance (about 30 hours or so), my opinion of it is not complete. That said, when a long-time M&M addict can't convince himself to play, that's gotta say something about the quality of MM9.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:55 pm
L_U_D_W_I_G
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have played a little bit of 9, though not much, since I don't own it, and have beaten 6-8 several times. I think that M&M seems to be falling further behind the curve of other games with each release. M&M 7 is my favorite (also one of my favorite computer games of all time,) but 8 seemed a little weaker, and 9 seemed weaker still, especially when compared with other games that have come out at the same time... (I went to the store to get MM9 and ended up buying Morrowind which was sitting next to it!) I think to save the series they need to work hard on rebuilding the graphics engine (the graphics engine is VERY antique,) and start spending more time building a better storyline like the older MM's. I think if you are choosing between 8 and 9, you should probably pick 7...

Also, this may be beside the point, but did anyone else notice that in MM8 the chests in the main city (I forget the name) that were never supposed to refresh.... refresh? I had an "antique" and artifact item/weapon collection worth between 1-2 million dollars stored in there (and the whistle for the secret level) and one day they were all gone... Needless to sday, I was a bit hostile.
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:11 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Since NWC was forced by 3DO to eliminate most of their people, the M&M design team is gone. I'm willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt on MM9- the project was clearly rushed. Since the workers were laid off about a week after MM9 was released, I'm pretty confident that 3DO was calling the shots schedule-wise.

I'm hopeful that the minds that came up with MM6 and MM7 (which gets my vote for all-time favorite game) haven't completely forgotten what it takes to make an addictive gaming experience. The M&M series was never pretty, but I've yet to find a more addictive RPG experience, and about the only game from any genre I'd put higher on the addiction scale is Civilization. Perhaps those folks can find a home with some design house that has the financial strength to allow them to "do it right".
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:24 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

If you loved 6 and 8 then you should find a lot to enjoy in 9, it may not be a totally polished product but it has enough M&M quality to appeal to fans of the series.

I agree that 7 is a much better all-round experience. Why not give yourself a real treat and get them both. You can probably get 7 for a bargain-basement price by now
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:45 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by L_U_D_W_I_G
Also, this may be beside the point, but did anyone else notice that in MM8 the chests in the main city (I forget the name) that were never supposed to refresh.... refresh? I had an "antique" and artifact item/weapon collection worth between 1-2 million dollars stored in there (and the whistle for the secret level) and one day they were all gone... Needless to sday, I was a bit hostile.

From what I remember, the only zone that NEVER respawned was your castle in MM7. I believe there were areas that had longer respawn times than most (usually for MM6-8, it was around 1 year), but I don't think there were any zones that took longer than 2 years.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:22 pm