Laughable reviews
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
awpti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fine, you want certifications?

CCIE, Netware, various UNIX certifications, professional PHP Developer/DBA.

My entire life in technology has been spent around system administration (focusing on UNIX, specifically Solaris, HP-UX and AIX).

In the process of learning C/C++ and attaining an MCSE certification for giggles.

Webdevelopment is a hobby.

I wish I could understand how you people come to these inane conclusions. "Oh, he's an idiot because he pointed out that something is wrong with the game. Good lord, we can't have that. We must flame him!"

Good job, I salute you.

-Geoff W.
awpti@awpti.org
http://www.awpti.org

P.S. I'm certified in various aspects of Carpentry and I spend spare time working on classic cars... How wide range is your background, seeing as we're into a dick swinging contest. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: awpti on 2001-12-06 20:22 ]
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:19 am
Kaivaal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just find it funny that you portray yourself as so intellectually superior while you keep replying with "come-backs" in a flame war you claim to not really care about. Surely you've got better things to do than that. Act your age and let it be.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:12 am
Cymon01
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whats funny is that this reminds me of scuffles in high school. Somebody would yell 'fight' and everybody would come running. Reading through this thread it would appear to be the same. I myself of guilty of wanting to get in on it.

I regret that people feel the need to take outwardly hostile attitudes towards one another. An adversarial tone begets the same.

I personally find the game to be great. I have only started Chapter 3 and have played longer in this game than in many others I have purchased recently (most notably Red Faction). I agree the control issue leaves a bit to be desired. Unless I missed it in the manual, I had to find out for myself to use the mouse wheel to scroll thru my inventory. Using the down arrow key would cause me to drop items (and no, I wasn't holding down the CTRL key or left mouse button). Heck, it wasn't until chapter 3 that I discovered using the mouse wheel while in-game would cause the camera to move in and out. Or when in the inventory or menu, clicking the right mouse button had the same effect as pressing the escape key.

The manual was weak. I think this had to do more with not having a native English speaker proof it (but with that said, I've come across some written here in the USA that were even worse).

I experienced only one lockup in Win98 when attempting to exit the game, and this was after playing it for six straight hours.

My GeForce3 Ti200 would not display things correctly and upgrading the drivers instroduced even worse issues. An upgrade to WinXP and the lasted video drivers fixed these issues. I thought this game was great enough to warrent experimenting with an O/S upgrade.

I can see both sides of the issue and think both have their merits. I just think the execution of the ideas may have been a tad too provoking from both camps.

While I have yet to finish the game, my early rating would easily be 9 out of 10.

[ This Message was edited by: Cymon01 on 2001-12-07 12:36 ]
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 6:32 pm
buggle
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I have to add my 2 cents to this thread. A fair statement on this game is that is is an excellent game that has some bugs.

That is a fair statement.

We don't need to yell at each other, or talk about how much bigger mine is than yours, we just need to adknowledge these 2 facts.

btw..Gothic screws up my monitor so that it's unreadable upon exit, but a reboot fixes it. A minor problem, but a good game nonethe less.

My main complaint about the game is the completely spartan manual. I've gotten everything I need to know from these boards.
Post Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:07 pm

Why don't all you people get together and have one big happy orgy. Maybe that will settle things. Food for thought. Go Red Sox!
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 4:08 am

propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I can already say that the person who started the post is very mad. As for his review of this thing.

Windblows XP proffesional is the worst operating system to run this game.. I frankly have a octaboot system and i have windows ME all for the glory of running this game. Second. Framerates are beyond smooth and controls are great though it took some time to get use to. I previosly had a quad boot system but I found it necessery to create an os partition solely for individual masterpieces such as this game and i love the idea that i dont even have to control alt delete to make it run smooth. Man I Like it alot.

Anyway, I hope you upgrade your system because this game is super on my already old pc 1.2ghz.
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:24 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

propellerhead
-------------
The 9x (including ME) serie have about 95% of the stability removed to save memory.
The "Thing" removed is also called "Memory protection".

"Memory Protection" takes up more memory, but makes the OS virtually impossible to crash. Windows 2000/Windows XP/Linux/Mac OS X is operating systems that is Memory Protected. Windows 95/98/ME Mac OS 7/8/9 & Amiga OS is Operating Systems that is not Memory Protected.

The idea behind "Memory Protection" is to lock each program into a separate block of memory, not letting any other program enter that specific block. While Memory Protected two programs can never overwrite eachother, wich causes 95% of the craches in Windows 98/ME.

Since Windows ME isnt memory protected its quickly out of consideration for thoose that uses their OS daily and dont want to experience crashes/unneccessary reboots.

I consider WinXP to be an update to Windows 2k, Microsofts only operating system that delivers with both Memory Protection and gaming support.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:02 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2