Ein Augenblick Wahrheit (Apparently)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hello All

Well, a small moment of truth has arrived for the Badger.

My technical expert is returning my pc to me this evening, all kitted out with a spanky new Geforce 4 Titanium 440 Graphics Card.

So now the question is... what is going to happen when I try to run Gothic.

I am informed by some members of the forum that I won't be able to run the game, so I am prepared for the worst. But I am also hoping for the best, because who knows how all the variables of the unique setup of my particular system, will come together to affect the overall outcome.

I look back on the many events that have happened to my character in game, in the short space of time I have been playing and can't believe that it might be curtains for .... well...does he have a name?

Who can forget moments like;

*Displaying an incredible talent for going swimming and emerging bone dry.

*"My First Nailed Club" sniff..ahhhh the embedding in the skull of my enemy.

*The first time I successfully picked the lock on a chest and then spent the whole night burgling sleeping diggers.

*Kicking the Crap out of Graham instead of buying a map.

*Feeding Mud to the Raptors.

*Playing Kiss Chase with the Dam Chewing Thingy.

*Becoming a Sect Novice Transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania.

All moments I will fondly remember if the curtain rings down on the Barrier this evening. Till then I will hold my breath in Antici..................pation.

Badger

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:00 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Good luck to you. Please inform us if you got Gothic to work, it will surely influence my decision about the next video card for Werner (my computer)...

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:05 am
Zairolin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My computer (still unnamed as yet) didn't want to run Gothic untill I got the GeForce 4.

Next it will want coffie and a donut in the morning to
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:34 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Jaz, Don't deprive Werner of an upgrade for the sake of Gothic. If It turns out it won't run, they'll surely patch it? I mean it can't be left thatthere is a major graphics card that Gothic just won't run with... can it?

Anyway... Morrowind (you knew I'd say it) is optimized for Geforce4! (Huzzah!) So you would be able to keep occupied till Gothic 2, even if no Gothic Patch was forthcomming.

Not that I'm obssesed with Morrowind or anything. Why, I can write whole sentences without mentioning Moro.... ahhhhh you almost had me there. I almost said Morrowind.... Gaghghghghghg!!

I took a leap of faith yesterday as well and bought "Sea Dogs". Just in case Gothic won't run and M******* is delayed. But I had a quick look at the official Bethesda forum for the game, and it's all "Arrrrrgh me hearties, Hoist the mainsail ye swaaabbb. She may have been smalll but she had a big chest. Arghghgh.. it were a treasure chest me hearties. Show us yer dubloons!

So I don't know if I can hack that, as I'm something of a landlubber at heart and a shy cove to boot. (as you know)

Badger.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:39 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

That's good news, Zairolin!

I had to name my latest computer after one of our board chairmen... both tend to make tons of trouble, calm down for a while - and suddenly, bang!!! they're back with yet another catastrophe again...

Badger... you don't know Werner. You just don't know him. He always demands more and more and more expensive hardware without ever working as he should. My favorite computer of all times was my old DX4-100... now that was a hellishly good machine at its time... and the overclocked PII 233 was nice as well, no need to give those two guys names as they obviously didn't hate me.

As for Morrowind... oh, I'll get that, too. No doubt about it. I've been an Elder Scrolls junkie from the start. It's just that I'm even more dependent on Gothic .

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-12 04:45 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:39 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Look Jaz.. we were typing at the same moment! lol
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:42 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Right .
Ah well... I think I owe something to Werner after all. Without his many lock-ups and freezes and simply idiotic crashes I had never got to know some of the Gothic NPCs so intimately. All those nights I spent testing hardware on the OC courtyard...

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:48 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The GeForce 4 seems to be compatible with Gothic, but sometimes only with weird driver manipulations.

Jaz, I have to admit I donīt remember your exact config, but I think Werner is too slow for a GeForce 4.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:54 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

A 1700 Athlon with 512 MB Ram is too slow? What do you need for a G4 then, Colossus ?

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-12 04:57 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ups, sorry.
This is of course fast enough. I must have mixed up some infos about configurations from different people.
Seems it was somebody else who shouldnīt buy a GeForce 4.
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:00 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Vhoaaa, just for a moment I thought my heart was going to stop. Phew.

Just because I had to downgrade evil Werner for a while (making him run as a 1100) to gethim to run at all doesn't mean that he's not fast if he chooses to. Right now, with the new processor fan (and additional fan), he's doing alright as a 1700, and since I returned the voltages to normal he doesn't have those nasty memory errors, either. But we'll see how long it will take him to develop another strange habit. He's inventive, and I take it he must be a 'monday machine'.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:06 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

WOW

Sounds like Werner could start his own "Fan" club?

Badger
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:09 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Yes, with three fans he just might do this! They became a necessity, the stench of molten plastic can be somewhat unnerving after a while.

I even developed certain habits when working (or rather, trying to work) with Werner...

Jaz (presses power button)

Werner: Beeeeep. Beeeeep. Beeeeep.

Jaz (crawls under her desk to cut power from the switch at Werner's backside): Hm, this memory error again. Sigh.

Werner: Beep. (starts up as he should do)

Jaz: Ah, much better. (logs into the company network; browses the net for a while, or plays a little Gothic)

Werner: Beep. (locks up with an evil grin)

Jaz (in her best imitation of Bloodwyn): Werner... I'm not your friend anymore.

Werner: So what? I don't need friends. I'm the one in charge here. After all, it's me who decides if you're going to get your stuff done or not.

Jaz (cracking her knuckles): We'll see, sonny, we'll see. Let's see who of us has more stamina and resolve...

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-04-12 05:21 ]
Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:20 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

You lucky ones. You have computers that play with you. I have a - well, now that's my story:

My computer is a very conservative one. Stable, reliable, boring. But: he thinks that his AMD heart doesn't like his GeForce3 soul. There is only one driver that will convince him that things are allright. Without this driver he bangs me whenever he likes: 2 seconds into a game, 3 hours into a game, 2 seconds into the desktop, 3 hours into the desktop. Has he got the right driver (and not a version earlier or later: no prob.

Now, I just hate stable, boring computers. Once the computer is stable, I get bored. When i get bored, I start to experiment. Change settings. Switch hardware. When tings are broke, i am happy, because now I can proof my godlikeness and fix it. After an insane amount of time, I have reversed all changes and I am back to a stable, boring computer (not having achieved anything but having broken the boredom).

This is nearly a personal secret, but do you know that I reinstall the whole damned thing once a month just because i like installing? *g*

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:58 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You lucky man! Well, I guess the grass is always greener over there...
Want to exchange your computer for my Werner...?

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:01 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next