Hammer & Sickle: Review @ Gamerz Edge
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Hammer & Sickle: Review @ Gamerz Edge

A <a href="http://www.gamerz-edge.com/pc/reviews/has.html" target="_blank">review</a> of Hammer & Sickle can be found at Gamerz Edge. The score is 5.6/10 and I'll let this quote do the talking:<blockquote><em> Hammer and Sickle plays a lot like Fallout by Interplay, which was immensely popular… 10 years ago. The visual style of the game, game play, and weapons system felt like a direct rip-off of Fallout and Fallout 2. <br> <br>The problem that CDV runs into with this title is that pretty much everything about this game feels dated. Not dated as in a fun retro feeling modern game that reminds you of days of yore, but dated in the sense that it would have blended in very well with other turn based role playing games back in 1997.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 am
fb

I can imagine that quote causing some throbbing veins, red faces and fuming ears over at RPG Codex.
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:41 am

ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Gamerz Edge
I’d like to see the choice for multiple characters and maybe some in-game decisions that affect the path of the game...

Thats probably the main appeal of the game. I can't believe how many bad reviews this game is getting... and i mean bad reviews, not bad scores.

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:41 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Right on, ShadowMoses ... did these guys even *play* the game, do they realize you can have not just a different ending, but different paths to get there? I am very critical of the game for its' *real* failings, but give it credit where it is due ...

Check out my blog.
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:00 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Hey don't need to go to RPGCodex, this is the second interview I have seen make that ignorant statment.
Hell, it even goes beyond whether they have playe H & S, cause they sure the hell didn't play Fallout.
His rationalization seems to be, Fallout had guns, OMG so does H & S. Duuude they are the same!
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 am
fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The name of the place kind of says it all doesn't it: Gamerz Edge
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:48 am

I'm a big fan of both turn-based strategy and RPG's. I loved Silent Storm and SS3, Fallout, JA2, all the usual holy grails of the genre. And I promise I'm jonesing just as hard for some real turn-based goodness.

That said, this game is not god's gift to role-playing. I played the demo for about half an hour. I was already familiar with the SS mechanics and gameplay, which I think almost all the H&S reviewers were not, but nevertheless, the game was just not fun.

The reviews might not be completely accurate but I think they're bang on regarding this point.
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 pm