Usergroups
Wizard and Warriors
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Can you sugest this game to me? Did someone of you played it?
(I love Wizardry 8...).
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:33 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

I played it and enjoyed it. How's that?
I did not win though because I dropped a key somewhere that I thought I'd never need again
and of course I did need it, but I got right up before the final battle.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:15 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

wizards and warriors is a great game -

if u like wizardry games u will enjoy it

Hx
Post Thu Mar 21, 2002 10:46 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

It was made by a guy named D.W. Bradley, who worked on some of the earlier Wizardry games.

Wizards and Warriors is a lot of fun, but the interface is not nearly as good as Wizardry, and can be frustrating. It's not as good as Wizardry, but I thought it was a very good game.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:52 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well, yes Wizard and warriors was a competitor to wizardry 8, both trying to be a good succesor to the previous Wizardry games. IMHO Wizardry 8 won that fight mostly due to a more bugfree game, but also for a more satisfying character development system.
Not that the character development system in wizard and warrior is less complex, but the idea that every character actually can learn every profession in the game is a bit to loose for me, and BTW your character won't level up as many times than in Wizardry 8.
But using the newest patch, which should solve some of the gamestopper problems, the game is absolut worth a try. The graphic is actually okay not that far behind Wizardry 8.
There are a lot of interesting places to explore, and you can even dive into the big oceans/lakes/sewers. Combat is alright, and the game got 1.person view as well.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:24 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The system for assigning and completing quests is nothing short of awful. LOTS of bugs, several unfixed in the patch. It's got good points, but overall I'd avoid this one for a while. There's SOOOO many good RPG games out now (or soon) that your time and/or money is better spent elsewhere. Just an opinion, of course....
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:57 pm
MadPriest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hello,

Actually I just beat Wizards and Warriors a week ago, and it was a wonderful experience indeed!! pretty long RPG with an interesting story line, very cool party system.
Combat is neat, its sort of turned based but not, you control when things happen, you are not stuck like in Wizardy during battles you can run around like in Gothic or even Half life for that matter, graphics are good enough as well. I love how the game has tons of choices for classes, you can do quests to go from warrior-barbarian for instance and have different skills..etc...and then later go from barbarian to ranger or something or paladin if you want. Theres tons of stuff to do.
game is pretty unique and you can free roam around ..there are horses, rafts, boats for instance, even pick up objects and move them around and its really neat to get into

yes of course it does have bugs it was released too early but i didnt come across that many and odd as it sounds after playing PC games most of life since i was like 5 in 1984 I expect games to have problems and just work around them because its normal...they also have a patch that fixes some.
I could type all day about the game heh but I do indeed suggest it, if you get it , might as well get the collectors edition comes with 2 pewter statue things that are cool and if you have any trouble getting the game to start (some problems with Win XP if you have that, such as towns but easily fixed )post on here or at the ironworks forums for sure
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:43 am
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Very Buggy, but very fun

Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:04 pm

Does this game run under XP?

olaf
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:23 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I had big problems with running it under WinXP (I tried it before I decided if I will buy it or not).
After these problems and with Might and Magic IX in other hand and Dungeon Siege just behind door, I decided to return it.
So I was not looking for way how to make it run with XP.

Good luck.
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:20 pm
HolyWarrior

W&W

Tried it.
Couldn't take 3 steps without game crashing.
Deleted it.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:56 am

corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

It was a good game, but nowhere near as good as Wiz8. One game due to be released as shareware soon by someone who also worked on earlier Wizardrys, is Grimoire. You'll find more info at www.grimoire.com.au Don't forget Arx and Divinity are due for release soon as well.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:45 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

David Bradley was responsible for two of the best RPGs ever Wizardry6 and 7 and one of the the most underated the excellent Cybermage(with a little help from Origin).Judged by these standards Wizards and Warriors was enjoyable but disapointing. It felt like an early version rather than a finished product.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Cybermage was terrific, one of my all-time favorites. but then not only Dave Bradley but also Warren Spector had a hand in it which would explain my love for the game .
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:59 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Bradley AND Spector ? together with Sid Meier these are the best game writers. Maybe i should play Cybermage after Morrowind...
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:51 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next