FAQ
Members
Usergroups
best race for my custom character
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

best race for my custom character

I want to create a character who is equally good in magic and melee(long blade) fighting. I am undecided between 2 races: Breton and redguard as each has its own advantages

Other than race this is how I forsee my character
Female fighter mage type
Sign: Atronach
Spec: Magic
Attributes: Intelligence, Strength
Major: Long Blade, heavy armor, destruction, restoration, conjuration
Minor: Alteration, Block, Speechcraft, Enchant, Alchemy

The Breton has the significantly higher spell points but that Adrenalin Rush seems great and in the beginning she will have better health and encumbrance. I wonder if the redguard will have enough spell points later on to cast more complex spells that you make. Based on the above, The Briton start with 210 spell points and the Redguard starts with 120.

Any input would be much appreciated
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:08 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'd go with Breton and have Medium or Heavy armor as a major. That way you'llhave no problem getting your Hit points up. I'd drop Atronarch for The Mage or The Warrior.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 9:24 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

First off... do you want to play a Breton or a Redguard? That's the best question... in the end, it won't matter what race you play. The only stat that really matters at character generation is Endurance so you can get some precious hit points at low levels.

I would drop Atronach as well. Yes, I know once all you start running into is spell throwing monsters it's the ULTIMATE recharge power for a mage... but getting to the point where every monster throws a spell at you takes a bit.

Unless the absorb the damage from your own spells as magicka for using an area spell still works. Can't honestly say I've played a mage yet.

There are spells that let you absorb magicka like the Atronach does. Sure it costs magicka to get magicka... but to me the ability to take naps to recharge at low levels overshadows that.

But hey... it's all about choices. Play whatever character you want. You'll win.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 14, 2002 1:20 pm
Sand

I just restarted with an Atronach character, and I haven't found the recharge to be much of an issue -- if you plan for it. I suggest using Almsivi/Divine Intervention and Mark/Recall to ensure that you are never more than a spell-cast away from a recharge altar.

For my first character, I made the mistake of assuming that magicka went up rapidly with level -- so I had a 2/3 mage 1/2 thief with 50 magicka. Oops.

(Balmora spoilers follow.)

My second character is a Breton with 210 starting magicka -- boy is that sweet. I had a hard time until I made it to Balmora (by silt strider, none of that walking garbage!). There, I first joined the Mage Guild and raided their supply chest (no one tells you, but it's not a crime to take stuff from it). Then, I walked over to the Temple (not the Imperial one!) where they sell Almsivi Intervention, Mark, and Recall. Now, whenever I adventure, I just Mark where I am fighting; if I need Mana, it's just Intervention, altar, Recall. The Mage Guild's Restore Magicka potions are excellent for getting back the magicka from the Recall, if needed. I had this stuff at level 1 (I'm only level 3 now), and it's worked well so far.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:00 pm

yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Sand

My second character is a Breton with 210 starting magicka -- boy is that sweet. I had a hard time until I made it to Balmora (by silt strider, none of that walking garbage!). There, I first joined the Mage Guild and raided their supply chest (no one tells you, but it's not a crime to take stuff from it). Then, I walked over to the Temple (not the Imperial one!) where they sell Almsivi Intervention, Mark, and Recall. Now, whenever I adventure, I just Mark where I am fighting; if I need Mana, it's just Intervention, altar, Recall. The Mage Guild's Restore Magicka potions are excellent for getting back the magicka from the Recall, if needed. I had this stuff at level 1 (I'm only level 3 now), and it's worked well so far.

This is just what I do, and it sure works fine. However, I seem to have been a few places where Almsivi takes me somewhere that's lacking a shrine for the recharge. Then it's a matter of hopping a flea or mage guild teleport, which is a little much when you just wanted a recharge. Or maybe the shrine was there, and I just missed it somehow... Hmmm.

Anyway, my next characterwill have a different birthsign. After all the teleporting around, it sounds tempting to regen mana just by laying down and snoozing.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:16 pm
Wabbit

Best race for your custom character? Has to be Dark Elf. That's the best race for every character, but every character has to be an Assassin. A Dark Elf Assassin with glass armor and lightning bolts. And a big sword...yeah...and...

Well anyway so there you go - the perfect race for your assassin in Dark Elf.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 2:55 pm

Sand

quote:
Originally posted by yeesh
quote:
Originally posted by Sand

This is just what I do, and it sure works fine. However, I seem to have been a few places where Almsivi takes me somewhere that's lacking a shrine for the recharge. Then it's a matter of hopping a flea or mage guild teleport, which is a little much when you just wanted a recharge. Or maybe the shrine was there, and I just missed it somehow... Hmmm.

Anyway, my next characterwill have a different birthsign. After all the teleporting around, it sounds tempting to regen mana just by laying down and snoozing.

I carry one scroll of Divine Intervention just in case something like this happens...not to mention a few potions of Recharge. I've found shrines everywhere I went, although the one in Vivec took a lot of searching!

Being able to rest and get magicka back was veeeeery nice, but having almost no magicka sucked big time. If I were doing a non-Atronach mage character, I would definitely want at least a 1x INT bonus to my magicka.
Post Tue May 14, 2002 3:59 pm

What does Almsivi/Divine Intervention do and how do they relate to mark and recall?
Post Wed May 15, 2002 8:43 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

It teleports you to the next shrine. Mark and recall is the same, but with mark you can "mark" any point on the island to which you then recall (teleportation).

Now to the issue of a fighter/mage combo: I am roleplaying a redguard freelancer. He did some jobs for nobleman back in the empire, and was thrown to prison because one of these "noble men" wanted to get rid of him after a job. He's a fighter, basically, but born under the sign of apprentice and two magic skills as major skills (restoration and mysthicism) and two as minor ones (alteration and enchanting), he has some magical power, too. He'll never be the perfect mage, but with his enchanting skills, he can make up for that.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:36 am