RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
I love Morrowind the way it is..some people are just stupid.

Uh oh... you guys are making the children upset. Lol.

Actually I'm not a child. Adults can enjoy games without profanity and nudity just as well as kids can.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:02 am
simland
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It is obvious that to keep a gaming line alive you must make money. When a game reaches across a broad market it is able to generate more revenue. Bethesda does not spend many years on a game to see it flop in sales. The back story to the game and the wide open play style clearly make up for lack of "adult" material. As previously stated, if you want that kind of material make a patch for it.

In the history of RPGs there have not been many on the computer that have faired well profit-wise that were violent. All of the real violence sprang from the minds of the players. In short this is the way the game is, like it or not. Instead of complaining, try doing something about it.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:05 am

quote:
Originally posted by simland
It is obvious that to keep a gaming line alive you must make money. When a game reaches across a broad market it is able to generate more revenue. Bethesda does not spend many years on a game to see it flop in sales. The back story to the game and the wide open play style clearly make up for lack of "adult" material. As previously stated, if you want that kind of material make a patch for it.

In the history of RPGs there have not been many on the computer that have faired well profit-wise that were violent. All of the real violence sprang from the minds of the players. In short this is the way the game is, like it or not. Instead of complaining, try doing something about it.

As soon as I finish my patch to make Mario RPG more attuned to adult interests, I will start on the Morrowind patch.

whew! *wipes sweat from forehead* All these patches are wearing me out!
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:13 am

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Since gore, nudity and profanity are what makes a game, eh?

Oh well, at least nearly all the faults people find in the game are pointless little "extras" that would only dumb up the game, or have absolutely no effect what-so-ever besides to quench the blood thirst or polygonal nudity desires of people not even old enough to legally purchase a M17 rated game.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:13 am
rpgdude

I don't think people look for nudity or profanity thrown all over the place for indescriminately. The problem with Morrowind is that even the settings that are APPROPRIATE for "adult" themes ("red light" district, prison cells, telvani slave dungeons, etc... ) were sterilized for no good artistic reason, just to pick up a few sales. It's even hard to tell men from women in this game, they all talk and behave the same. anyway, at least it comes with the editor
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:14 am

Killaminjaro

The Morrowind / Star Wars comparison is dead on.

I like the game a lot, but have you seen all the merchandise for sale on the elder scrolls website? T-Shirts, coffee mugs, frisbees, handbags, caps, ties, backpacks, action figures, etc.. Morrowind $ Morrowind $ Morrowind! Here is is! Click here, BUY NOW! Fun for all ages! Momma, papa and maby will al love it! Get the collector's edition and get an action figure!

I do not set out looking for these "adult" games, but when you see a franchise start getting this comercialized, it IS sort of dissapointing. When content starts getting watered down and a lot of the interesting scenes are still lying on the cutting room floor, its got to be disappointing.

Morrowind is great, and I love the amount of detail. But it is a large commercial venture that was engineered from the beginning to be a cash cow. A lot of color has been drained from the world of Tamriel since the passionate days of Daggerfall.

The devs have sold out, like it or not. The good news is we still get a cool game to play while we await the next Daggerfall from a younger and more passionate development team.

Killaminjaro-=+
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:26 am

Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I don't need sex and violence to make a game good, I just loved Daggerfall for what it was and now I'm afraid MW will be a tad too domesticated. It doesn't mean I won't get it... I absolutely have to get the game as soon as it's out here. We'll see if I like it. I guess I will. I'm just not sure if it will manage to get a special place in my heart.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 7:52 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I think it's way off the mark to compare Morrowind with Stars Wars.

I would enjoy a more interactive world where NPCs have schedules and agendas but clearly this is simply too big to undertake both in CPU cycles and development time. Nudity would not add substantially to my enjoyment.

If this is a "kiddies" Star Wars game, where is the Jar Jar Binks character? Where is eight-year old Annakin blowing up the Empire station by accident?

The deep backstory with a carefully constructed history and politically motivated plot are hardly kiddy fare. I've seen players complaining about reading some of the in-game books - hardly something they put in for the six year olds.

Daggerfall would have cost substantially less to produce (particularly with it's random nature). Morrowind is clearly an expensive and long development cycle that will appeal to a (relatively) small base and I don't begrudge a small thing to help maximise sales or minimise development time.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 8:32 am

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:
I love Morrowind the way it is..some people are just stupid.

Uh oh... you guys are making the children upset. Lol.

That's a very ironic statement.

Don't be so mean spirited about peoples' tastes.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:09 pm

now i see why they say the world is in trouble with the new generation. if you kids think that getting high or dismembering someone makes the game an adult game, 1 word of advice,GROW UP. my brothers, all of us in our late 40's have been playing games since pong and we hate to tell you that a great game is a game that holds your attention, wanting for you to miss a days work to keep playing, which i plan on when the x box version comes out. maybe your mothers put too much laxative in your formulas because personally i think most,but not all, of you are full of shit.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:34 pm

Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Killaminjaro says:
"Morrowind is great, and I love the amount of detail. But it is a large commercial venture that was engineered from the beginning to be a cash cow. A lot of colour has been drained from the world of Tamriel since the passionate days of Daggerfall."

Apart from an absence of Sex, Violence and people smoking pipes, what else would you consider has drained the colour since Daggerfall, Killaminjaro?

I am patiently waiting for a release of the game here in the UK, so am totally reliant on you guys to tell me the pro's and con's.

From comments and reviews on this message board, it struck me that what I was going to get, was a rich role-playing world with a diverse character base and a rewarding and immersive storyline. This thread though seems to be suggesting that these attributes are not strong enough within the game to fully distract the player. Leaving him free to consider what the experience is missing.

If it's just the sex and violence we're talking about? Well I for one won't miss it. We are surrounded by it every time we read a newspaper or turn on a television. Also the games shelves are stacked to bursting with products that depict these subjects with ever greater claims of realism.

If I am playing a simulation of some kind, then I want at least a stab in the direction of realism. But a Fantasy Role playing game should be just that and should not be reliant on so called Adult themes to maintain the players attention.

Badger
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:38 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Dont worry. The ciolence is the same as in DF, and the nudity is just absent, thank god (I found it pretty annoying and distracting in DF).

I would advice you to wait for the demo, or just buy it, and see for yourself. Just ignore what we say, for your own good:)
Post Mon May 20, 2002 1:12 pm
a European guest

don't exaggerate!

I hear for the first time that a demo version will be released!
Is that really true?
I would very much appreciate playing a demo first because I'm not sure at all whether MW will run on my system(which is not the fast one indeed).
The elder scrolls homepage has been searched several times but I was unable to find any hint that there might ever be a demo version. Will it be possible to download one somewhere?

To stick to the topic I would also like to mention that a lot of violence and/or nudity doesn't make a good game. Here in Europe a very brutal game can easily be forbidden to ensure children won't become rude persons after playing such games for a long time. It is just a fact that adults have to care for their kids and therefore cannot allow them to see too much violence in their everyday lives as the children would then get used to it and not regard violence as something special any more.
Of course the game would be more realistic if there was the sheer possibility to cut dead corpses into peaces but who of us would ever do such a cruel thing with a defeated enemy? If you would like to do such things in reality you might just imagine it rather than acting it out or you should get medical help.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 2:08 pm

SunSpot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Haha!

Hehe I love it when people have so different ideas about things
thats the way it goes right!

Any ways you guys that thought that "starwars Clones II" sucked. I know you all have an idea about how and what SW are for you. But remember its Lucas vision/dream/idea. So dont expect that he saw it like you did.

And you who wants titties and dissmemberment(psychos ;P) there will most surely be an mod for all child killing needs you have. And if we are really lucky maybe you can "rape" someone that would be real RPG now wouldnt it?

If you want disscusting core just go play soldier of fortune 2 ffs
Post Mon May 20, 2002 2:28 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You haven't been to the right places; I found what is obviously a brothel, with strippers dancing on the stage and ladies of the evening trying to entice the customers.

Mike
Post Mon May 20, 2002 3:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next