Evil Islands
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Evil Islands

Just wondering what other people think of these game. It got it free with a magazine 2 weeks ago, and i'm really enjoying it. And i've never seen any fuss about this one. I think that it's vastly underrated. What do you guys think?
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:48 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

its in a stack of bargain bin scores from the last few months. Havent installed it, but from what I have seen, it looks like an underrrated gem like Sacrafice. What os are you using? I have Xp on my gaming machine, am wondering if Evil Islands will run on it.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:37 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I loved Evil Islands. I also thought it was very underrated and I'm glad I played it before seeing the reviews. Luckily I was bored one day and played the demo. At first I didn't like it very much, but it grew on me and by the time the demo was done, I was craving more so I bought it.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:14 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

A challenging underrated and without the latest patch a buggy game.
This game has some unique features (build your own weapons, use stealth, ...) and what I like most: you really have to think about your next step, your next fight - should I do it or should I avoid it ? what should I buy next ? I hope to see more from these game developers.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:53 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Isn't EI the sequel to Rage of Mages? I never liked that game much because it was based far too much on strategy and was mission-based. It was not focused much on having an in-depth world or character interaction.

Btw, where does your avatar come from HiddenX? I like it a lot!

-Arcturus XIV
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:28 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

EI is a couple of years old now and was the third installment in the Rage of Mages series. It seems people either love it or hate it. My son has all 3 and loves them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:45 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Evil Islands was fun in the beginning, but the camera view is really annoying, and the main character is a wimp, hate him. Otherwise, cool graphics, interesting story too...
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:04 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I didnt like it, it was too slow, difficult and boring... But I saw several people who really liked it, so it is really just my personal opinion.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:32 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

My avatar is a scan from my favourite ghost-dime novel:
'Professor Zamorra' (much better than John Sinclair)
I have over 600 volumes of this series.
Post Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:22 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

E.I. is one of my all time favorites! It has absolutely the best weapon/armor system ever IMO.

E.I. is really hard, though and quite long if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Gig on Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:29 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

OMg, this game is awesome! Ive been literally playing it all day. It takes some getting used to, at first i was dying constantly. Then i grabbed some help in town, gave both my guys bows, learned the enemy AI and now im set.
The controls definitely take some getting used to, but the graphics and good gameplay make up for it. I even get to wear striped Tiger armor, the helmet is a Tiger head! Glorious
I hate the repetitive vocal recognitions tho, and the way the guys whine when they run out of stamina.

my method is thus- I lay into whatever enemy there is with the bows. then i step back my char#1, and let my meat shield(char#2) char pull out his axe and start hacking away, all the enemies on him. Meanwhile, char#1 sits back a ways and nails the enemy with his bow, healing char#2 as he takes dmg. Works like a charm, tho not always quick enough ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:38 am
Guardian Defender
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I remember I bought this game the first day it came out. It was really great and the multiplayer is fun too...I never had anyone to play with thoug...if any of you are willing to run a 3 person game gimme a PM...ide be happy to install this gem again. The multi works like the regular story and you are in groups of three. its really fun.

Last edited by Guardian Defender on Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:43 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
E.I. is really hard, though and quite long if I recall correctly.

Yeah, I played for hours, and the best weapon I got were like, stone axes and stone spears.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:50 am
RuySan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Being the game so hard, it was quite a surprise of the last fight being so easy. The only thing that i got to do was casting Paralize twice
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:40 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

the difficulty has really been cranked up here, maybe I should have played on "novice",lol. Maybe not tho, i am just used to killing every enemy in my path. Thats not the case with this game, there seems to be a few instances where stealth is the only real option. I really like the stealth aspect too, its really cool to creep your guys thru the woods until you see the enemy, determine the best angle of attack, then take them out. Funny to watch them sneeking thru the woods, wih more games would take this approach as opposed to bAMMO you see the enemy, they see you, you fight. ='.'=
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:05 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next