NVidia Driver Q: 23.11 or 28.32
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
AlexScherr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NVidia Driver Q: 23.11 or 28.32

First off: great forum! The only one I could find that has useful and functional information. The official site's a non-starter, and the others I've found are full of flame. Now my question:

I installed Morrowind last night, and can play it just fine. But the water has none of the texture that I've seen in the screen shots, but is instead flat and largely motionless. Moreover, I when I start the game, I get two error messages, saying that the engine can't create certain textures; if I continue past these dialogs, the game runs fine. Finally, when I start "Autorun" from the CD, I don't get a dialog box supporting in which I can turn on pixel shading.

Here are my specs:

Athlon 1.2 Mhz
512 MB RAM
Windows ME
Geforce 3 Ti-500
Soundblaster Audigy

Right now, I have the 23.11 drivers installed, and have heard that many graphics problems are resolved with the 28.32 drivers? Is that correct? Any help much appreciated,

Alex
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:31 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

For effects you should install newest official drivers.
If it will not help, post it and we will try another solution.

Good luck
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:40 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yes, go download the latest drivers from the official Nvidia site. (28.32 released at 26 april)
They're like maybe 1 week old or something and are supposed to fix some problems that older drivers had.
I for one noticed about a 400 points increase in my 3dmark scores when I changed to them.
Dunno if it will fix your problem but there is no harm in trying
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:07 pm
Pesky Wabbit
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I had some problems with the water when i played the game with the 23 detonators, when i installed the 28s the problem went away immediately and i have had no noticeable ill effects anywhere else.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:46 pm
AlexScherr
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks guys, very helpful. Here's what I've done, and the problem I still have:

I downloaded the 28.32 drivers and successfully installed them. I then uninstalled Morrowind, and defragged my harddrive. Then reinstalled Morrowind on a cleaner drive. Then the same problem! Then, on a lark, I reinstalled DirectX 8.1 from the Morrowind disk, just in case. That took care of the loading problem: I can now load the game without any error at all: it goes smoothly through the opening "Bethesda" screen, into the video of Morrowind, and then the main menu.

However . . . I still can't seem to find any dialog box in which I can turn on pixel shading. As a result, my water effects still seem flat, and the overall world still flickers a bit at the edges.

How do I go about getting the dialog box that turns on pixel shading? Thanks again for the quick help.

Alex
Post Sun May 05, 2002 12:49 am