Usergroups
Best Gothic Moment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Ragamuffin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It happened when I beat the hell out of Baloro. I told him, "I'm afraid I'm gonna have to whack you one," and then I beat the SHIT out of him, but I didn't kill him. I did take all of my stuff back--well, actually I took everything he had. But then something happened that has never happened to me before. Okyl started shooting arrows at me! At first I didn't know what was going on. I didn't expect anything to happen, because I've played through this game several times. But arrows were flying by, and I turned around and saw Okyl trying to kill me. I started making a run for it, but it's not easy getting out of the Hollow. You have to make a big circle all around, jump onto a hut and run down that path back to the New Camp. I got hurt pretty bad, almost dead. I got out of harm's way, ate a lot of grilled meat and saved the game, and then I went back. There were a few idiots on the other side trying to shoot me, and then something hilarious happened--one of them fell off the upper level, smacked concrete and bit the dust. AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaggH! I couldn't see who died, but everybody suddenly went hostile on ME, and so I had to run again. I ran all the way to the Rice Lord, and then back to the New Camp and slept until the next morning. Everything seemed fine there, so I walked back to the Hollow to see if they all still hated me. Well, everybody was frozen. Some had their bows readied, some had bottles to their lips, some were in the process of running. But they were frozen in place, like statues. I couldn't talk to them, and they wouldn't move. So I went into all of the huts and robbed all of the boxes and chests. When I finally came around to the idiot who fell off the top level to his death, it was none other than Baloro. I laughed my ass off and I consider this one of my best Gothic moments.
What's yours?
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:21 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Thats good stuff

I'd say my best Gothic moment (and a lot of other people's too) happens right around the very first time you use your Transport to Fire Mage Rune. If you got this rune, you know what I speak of, if you havent or dont know what Im talking about, I wont spoil it here
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:54 pm
Jaegermeister2k
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lol.

My best moment i'd have to say was.I lured the troll,not a juvenile troll,but the momma troll into the inner ring of the old camp,and everyone started attacking it.Then i went back to the gate guards to pick up the stuff the dead guard left after beeing killed by the troll,and when i went back i noticed that the troll was gone,not dead just gone,but the guards were kicking eachothers' butts.No one lost any energy at all,but they were swinging the sword like crazy.And thorus and the other archers were also shooting at eachother.No idea what happened but i watched em for a long time.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:58 pm
Ragamuffin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah yes...I always had trouble with that though...I couldn't hear what Barth the Lute Master was saying, because there were other guards there saying, "You've got no business in here! Get out of here!" The last time I beat the game, which was yesterday, I used the Rune, and right after I killed that idiot, Gomez's dialogue initiated...now, Gomez was in a completely different building, so I couldn't hear what he was saying...that's a bug I had never encountered before, so it kind of took the fire out of the final shodown. Still, I had fun ramming Uriziel up everybody's arse. I slaughtered the whole camp. The only people left alive were the women and Stone (he's invincible for some reason, and I like watching the women dance and bathe, y'know). Couldn't open the camp's gates...the winches turn, but nothing happens. How annoying. It would've been cool to be able to open the gates and let Gorn and the mercenaries take over the old camp...of course, I'd want the damn throne!
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:05 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

My Templar game, when I used the fire mage teleport rune I was in the process of destroying every last guard in the Old Camp. I had just given Raven a sword in the chest when this heavy armored guard came running at me with a two handed sword. I was like "wtf" Thorus is the only guard that has one of those and he's standing way over there. Well, I killed the guard and checked out the sword, it was Gomez's...

After slaughtering everyone else in my way, I walked into Gomez's throne room and there he lay...DEAD.

I had never talked to the guy once the entire game, but there he was, dead, and his sword was formerly in the hands of a heavy guard. Mutiny at its best I tell ya.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:11 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

This has been posted before; but it happened to me too a couple of days ago. I was out in the Orc Lands taking on a angry group of Razors, I was slashing away franticly at them; then all of a sudden I got this erie feeling. I turned 90 degrees to my left and there was a Razor staring me right in the face, he was close enough to smell his breath. Now I know, this is just a game and all that; but when you're in a heated battle your heart rate goes up. When I turned and looked into the eyes of that Razor, my heart rate must have doubled. The whole thing was macabre.
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:15 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

d00d I know EXACTLY what you mean, those razors are like TOO predator like...like you can actually see them bob and weave before a strike, as if to say "Ya sucka, I got all the time in the world to eat you up, lemme enjoy the thrill of this hunt first".

Its almost as if they're trying to fake you out on purpose, cause the split second you flinch and try to take that swing that you're not in range for...THEY LEAP in for the strike.

Anyway my best moment was when I recalled to the Fire Mages, summoned up 12 Skeletons and 5 Golems and then proceeded to walk through the courtyard. So funny to watch. They are 20 ft away running at you, your mob is 3 ft behind you and charging in fast. Once the guards turn their attention to my friends thats when I whip out the lightsaber and start out with the combos and twirls into their chest. I always leave Gomez for last and kill him with only pyrokenesis. After I watch him twitching helplessly as his brain boils into oatmeal and drop to the floor...
I TAKE HIS THRONE and now *I* RUN THIS CAMP!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
(Yea, I've practiced this a few times)
Post Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:33 pm
The Ranger
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would say the best was, when my friend (when he was a VERY LOW LEVEL character) had to stop the gnawer from chowing the dam in "New Camp" but he couldn't fight him, so he waited till night-fall for the rice-workers to return to the slave quarters, and then he lured the gnawer to the camp thinking the workers (22 of them) would attack it, instead, they ran twice as fast as my friend could, when he realized what just happened, and the fact his plan failed...goto-love this damn AI
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:04 pm

The return to the old camp after you get the Fire mage rune is very buggy. I had that happen to me where after Bartholo spoke to me it would switch to a view from Gomez's room for about 15 seconds every time. The only way I could get past that was by drinking a potion of swiftness before I teleported and running past Bartholo before he spoke to me. I also found Gomez dead a few times too. I hope they come out with a patch to fix this.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:40 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

My best Gothic moment was pretty early in the game. Actually in the very beginning of it.

You all know where you start the game. I spent quite a lot of time exploring the area and trying to get used to the controls.

When I moved on I climbed up a mountain and all of a sudden nothing was blocking my view anymore. I was really struck by the viewing distance. I could see the river, the old camp, a forest in the far distance...

I was just enjoying this awesome view as the sun was setting and the first shooting stars were racing across the beautiful sky. Best moment in Gothic for me. Definitely.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:43 pm
LeFey
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Its hard to pick the absolute best with such a remarkable game. Id have to say one of the best times for me was figuring out how to get Dusty into the Sect camp to complete the New Souls for the Brotherhood quest. Youre probably wondering what's so hard about that. I put off completing that quest because I thought it was so easy. I put it off till the very end. Now Old camp is decimated (by me). Everyone who is a member of Old Camp is hated, namely Dusty. PLUS the gates are closed in the Old Camp. Ol' Dusty's saying "Lets go out the South gate". Hell, there's no way out the South gate. What do I do? I go to the North gate, I climb all the way up onto top of the north gate battlements (waaaay up). Ol' Dusty climbs up too. I walk around Dusty so that his back is to the outside of the camp and I slug with my fists till he falls off. Then I jump off too (holding down right arrow key . Dusty isnt hurt at all by the fall but naturally he starts attacking me. I cast charm on him and he's my friend again AND we're out of the locked-up Old Camp. Now you'd think my troubles were over. No way. Luckily I saved before we got to the Sect camp. As soon as we entered the Sect camp, Ol' Dusty starts whoopin up on the templars. WTF! Then I remembered, Gomez killed all the sect members in Old Camp when he slaughtered the Fire Mages. Hence, Sects hate ALL Old Camp members. So I reloaded and walked completely around the perimeter of the Sect camp with Dusty and we parked ourselves just inside the energy barrier and waited until the guru, instructing his novices, set up shop in the morning. I saved. Then drank a swiftness potion, ran like hell at the guru and initiated conversation BEFORE Dusty got there and started a brawling with everyone. The Guru conversation proceeded, Dusty came running up out of the swamp and immediately started fighting one of the novices. In the meantime the Guru reached the part of the conversation where he accepted the New Disciple. Miraculously Dusty stopped fighting, he and the novice quietly took their seats,,,,,and I got my experience points. Quest completed, BoooYay!! Saaweeet Game.

[ This Message was edited by: LeFey on 2002-01-22 16:24 ]
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 11:16 pm

It was an overcast day with the mournful skies threatening weep on the already somber and barren soil I'd been trudging over for the past few hours. I finally won the summit of the southern mountain and readied my longbow;a gnawing whisper in my guts rubbing my nerves raw warned me not to round that last rocky tor that would find me again on level earth.

With arrow notched I drove on through the gloom and a slight drizel which richoched noisily off my still unworn Rogue's armor. Faint, rapid footsteps alerted my ears then the sight of... a four legged beast as tall as I with glaring red eyes and...it's flesh removed?

Forgetting the weapon in my shocked grasp I fled like the four winds never daring to glance over my shoulder. A cave in a wall of stone blurred by and I happened upon a rope bridge. On it's far side I could discern ancient towering ruins of some monolithic time past. I paused then spun around to confront an entire pack of those hellish beasts; Bloodhounds. Too late I recall the old legends surrounding this damned region. Without a further though I leap from the bridge and plummented an eternity finally splashing down into a high mountain lake rippled by several waterfalls and...

A sunken tower at it's center. Before I can do little more than catch my breath, two great splashes shower me from behind. The Blood Hounds have followed my daring escape and worst of all....they can swim...fast!!
I dive to the bottom and surface near one of the falls but it is all in vain....they have surrounded me....

Luckily after watching my character's agonizing death by multiple Bloodhounds, a simple drop back to reality and the load screen allowed the adventure to continue!
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:26 am

RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

despite the multi-post, thats a good piece of literature
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:29 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maybe itīs time to repost the episode which convinced me to buy the game. Now it may seem normal, but at the time I played the demo it was a real shocker.
quote:

I canīt really say anything spefically about the demo. I played the German equivalent (=demo2) for appr. 15 min. until I reached the bridge to the OC with the two guards in front of it. I overlooked one the Scavengers nearby, resulting in a fight newbie with rusty sword <==> 2 adult Scavengers. 2 sec. later I was 90% dead, turned around, ran with the weapon in my hand towards the bridge. The guards drew their swords, ran in my direction, ...., then past me, killed the Scavengers swiftly, ..., turned around,... back to me,..., still armed,... , I really think I was never before so fast leaving fighting-mode,..., after I put away my sword one of the guards said (translated) with a very sarcastic voice "Must be your lucky day!".
I saved, went to the next retailer and bought the game.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:09 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

The first time I saw the orc camp (long before getting the ulu-mulu)I was trying the clear out the front part by luring them out one of two at a time then standing on high ground to shoot at them. All was going as planed and I was getting some good experiance. One of the times when I was running across the bride I looked back and there were four of them chasing me. I thought I was dead. A few seconds later I looked back again, and they were gone, they hadn't had time to walk back, and they had been to close to loose intrest. I ran around for some time looking for them, but they had just vanished. A little later when I was luring out more orcs I fell off the bridge. (keep in mind the water only went up to my character's waist) and there in front of my were four orc corpses; they had fallen off the bridge and drowned in three feet of water.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:27 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next