Fallout 3 done Silver Style?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fallout 3 done Silver Style?

I'll preface this newsbit by saying we don't know if Interplay is considering selling the Fallout license but...the industrious folks at <a href="http://nma-fallout.com" target="_blank">NMA</a> picked up this rather intriguing <a href="http://www.silver-style.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1416" target="_blank">post</a> by Carsten Strehse on the Silver Style forums:<blockquote><em>Well, we are definatly interested in hiring some of the former Balck Isle staff. I try to get in contact with them.
<br>I also disclose no big secret if I tell you that we have found a mayor partner for The Fall and that money wouldn't be the biggest problem when we would try to get the FO licence.
<br>My biggest concern is the reaction of the FO community. We're all huge fans of FO here and have deepest respect for the achivements of the dev team. However, we are no Black Isle, we are Silver Style. And I'm afraid that the community wouldn't be pleased with a FO3 that wasn't developed by the original team. Even if I'm very sure that we could deliver a real stunning game.</em></blockquote>Either way, Silver Style is currently working on The Fall which looks like it might have some pretty strong post-apoc goodness and strong finances can't help but make it better.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:53 am
Garrett

hehe...that was my first tought when I learned of BIS shut down, but I didn'T dare mention it, but now that Carsten himself speaks of it: Go for it, rather a Fallout 3 by non-BIS than no Fallout 3 at all!
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:59 am
Falloutboy

:-)

I wont it I nead it
so someone have to make fallout3
and if Black Isle cant do it so why not silver?
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:19 pm

Garrett

esp if they employ some ex-Black Islers...
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:46 pm
matthias
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hiring BlackIsle

They did even say on the forums that they might try to hire some of the employees. This is good news. I also say go for it Silver Style make Fallout Three possible.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:25 pm
fremdkoerper

deja vu

kinda reminds me of the whole dreamland chronicles = ufo: aftermath story <shiver>. I really appreciate Silver Style's effort to keep F3 alive, but I'm not sure if they have what it takes to make it the REAL thing. I wouldn't have any problems with F3 not being developed by BIS (at this point it's probably a bad idea anyway...), but it should be any company with serious experience in hardcore CRPGs.

but if they're really able to get at least part of the old F3 team together, then please forget what I just said.

fremd koerper
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:54 pm

cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hmm I am not sure if they will be able to get the Fallout license from Interplay because Interplay needs to retain the license in order to make FOBoS and its like for console. But maybe if enough money is offered, they might be able to get some sort of agreement.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:49 am

Well you can split the licenses for consoles and PC Games.

Look at the BG License. Interplay has the rights for Console Games with the Baldurs Gate Brand.
Atari has the ones for PC Games.

L.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:54 am

cwey
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Well you can split the licenses for consoles and PC Games.

Look at the BG License. Interplay has the rights for Console Games with the Baldurs Gate Brand.
Atari has the ones for PC Games.

L.

I know. However, Interplay might not be agreeable to it as they might not want a repeat of the BG3 inccident. Who knows, they might want to keep the PC rights for themselves to keep the FO3 option open. Well we will see how it goes........afterall Interplay have a cash flow problem at the moment and beggers cannot be chosers.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:44 am

The only way Silver Style should consider putting out the next Fallout game is if they bring in the original team and let them do it. Gorasul was a disaster; it was an immature, poorly balanced game. I'd hate to see the same people that did that game get hold of the Fallout franchise. I shudder at the thought.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:20 pm

Dhruin

Gorasul was poor but Soldiers of Anarchy is pretty good. I can oly hope The Fall will be even better...they're obviously learning pretty quickly from one project to the next and if they have some major funding, it's worth a shot.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Carsten once posted in their boards that JoWooD and Silver Style had different opinions about Gorasulīs focus. They decided to call it a misunderstanding and split their business relationship before it got really dirty.
My understanding is that SoA was their first game with creative control after a lot of low budget contract work for TV stations and other license holders. Reviews were generally in the 80s and sales were good enough that a publisher offered to fund SoA 2, so it can probably be considered a success.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:00 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

So far Ive liked what I've seen from them, and how they communicate to the fans. I really hope Puuk finds a new home there. It is the new companies that will carry the rpg genre on its back IMO (until they get big and start hiring "business people" that run it like Interplay and EA, etc, etc)

Look at all the ruined franchises by being popular like Ultima, FO, and every game we have been screwed out of by crap business decisions makes my brain seizure.

I'm all for the little guys throwing out new games that are better than any of this "huge and stupid audience targeted, made for morons and 4 year olds, no thinking necessary" crap that is being shovelled at me from every corner.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:21 am