Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anywhere to brush up on Morrowind history/story?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Anywhere to brush up on Morrowind history/story?

Is there any place to learn about Morrowind/Vardenfell history, story, politics, etc.? The official website is ridiculously sparse. I won't be playing the game for a few months while I pay off my credit card so I can buy a GeForce4 and need any kind of Morrowind fix. Thanks.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:04 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Try using the search engine, I'm sure you'll find a website there.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:40 am
Spawnster
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

why would playing MW interfere with u paying off yr debts? pray tell.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:32 am
Gally
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Try http://m0use.net

They host many great sites about general TES informations.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:06 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: Anywhere to brush up on Morrowind history/story?

quote:
Originally posted by Mereel77
Is there any place to learn about Morrowind/Vardenfell history, story, politics, etc.? The official website is ridiculously sparse. I won't be playing the game for a few months while I pay off my credit card so I can buy a GeForce4 and need any kind of Morrowind fix. Thanks.

you should visit Xanathar's Library (now know as Imperial library) at http://www.m0use.net/%7Exanathar/. be careful there, the voluminous books, scrolls, maps would choked you to death if not bored you to death first.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:25 am
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Spawnster, I said I can't play it UNTIL I buy a Geforce4. It runs at 10fps right now on my geforce2 and that's just not good enough for me to enjoy. So, I must wait.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:28 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by Mereel77
Spawnster, I said I can't play it UNTIL I buy a Geforce4. It runs at 10fps right now on my geforce2 and that's just not good enough for me to enjoy. So, I must wait.

10fps is fine for me. anyway that's your choice.

how about wait for Radeon 9700?, it's real good (also support future direct x 9) & far better than GF4. you could finish morrowind first time around with GF2, then when Radeon 9700 is cheap enough (maybe after 6 months, middle 2003) you could buy it & play morrowind second time with all graphic options set to maximum?. furthermore on that time there would be much more good morrowind's mods available.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:27 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ah yes, but mid-2003 I will be buying a brand new computer and selling my Geforce4 to a friend.
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:46 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Big thanks for that link - it's excellent. I also suspended Morrowind for a while (due to lack of time in a very near future) and switched to simpler NWN (do quests, get stuff back, sell, get new quests ....) but still very interesting.

@Mereel77:

What hardware exactly do you have ? I suppose Morrowind is much more limited by cpu (and memory) not by your graphics card. I play using Geforce2 MX (in 1024x768 with all details at max), which can be considered very lowend card these days. It's complemented by Athlon xp 1800+, nforce2 mobo, 512 mb ram, and current 7200 rpm drive. it runs under win2k sp3. I don't know how many fps I have, never checked it in morrowind, but it's still easily (without fps annoyances) playable.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:02 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

P3 933, 512 RDRAM, Geforce2 GTS 32mb.

I've tried everything to increase performance. Don't worry though, I'll just wait. No biggie.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:21 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

doubtful your p3 has rdram you should be able to play 1024x768 with 10-25 fgps most everywhere. not the greatest, but it isn't an fps, you really don't need super high framerates. this is coming from a long time competitive quake player. i quit fps games last year because they were costing me too much time and money.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 2:13 am
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hey, I think I know what kind of RAM I have, alright? And it's RDRAM! I bought the RIMM's myself. Why did Dell make my computer come with RDRAM when it originally had a 700mhz CPU? I don't know, but that's the way it is.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:19 am
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Maybe it's stupid question to ask, but:

- have you turned off all possible background apps ? (icqs, scanners, firewalls, etc. etc.), unused services (though they shouldn't change too much).

- some people reported dramatic improvement in fps after installing nocd fix.

- do you have latest drivers ?
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 11:42 am
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i820 used p3 and rimms... funny the things you forget. my apologies still, you should be able to run fine. i am running a p3 1ghz, 512 mb pc133 ram, with a gf3 which isn't a far cry from your setup considering the game is more cpu intensive than it is graphic intensive (with fsaa off, i get roughly the same fps in all resolutions except 1600x1200). what os are you using?
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:38 pm
Mereel77
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NoCD fix did improve performance a lot, yes.
I am running WinXP, which is one of my problems. Morrowind will only run in 32-bit color under XP. Sometimes I can hear my 32mb video card's cries of pain as it runs in 32bit.
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 3:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next