VERY dissapointed with Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
NPCMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

VERY dissapointed with Gothic

I have been visiting these forums for a very long time and Gothic is highly praised here. So when I got the game a few days ago, I was very excited. Now, Im very dissapointed. I was told by so many, that this game was FULL of life. ITS NOT. I found very few NPC's within this game that had anything resembling a personality. They are all angry, mean, men. Their daily schedules are a nice touch, but after a while it gets uninteresting. Where are the NPC's full of personality? When it comes to an RPG, that is my main concern. See my name? NPCman. lol. Seriously though, I feel lied too. I do have two questions though. Is Gothic 2 full of these lifeless NPC's as well? Also, are there families in Gothic 2 or all men again? The NPC'S in Baldurs Gate were done much better, in my opinon. Almost all of them had a personality. That leads me to my next question. What other games have GREAT NPC'S? Does Arcanum or Divine Divinity? Thank you.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:15 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

There is a reason the NPCs are all men in Gothic. Most of the convicts of the kingdom are men, and the women convicts become wenches for the men in power (as you'll see if you ever visit Gomez). Because we are so enthusiastic about the game, you're probably going to get an exaggerated impression of it. I know I had high expectations of Neverwinter Nights when I first got it (Rob Smith of PC Gamer had talked about how great it was and had given it a 95% score). I was disappointed with NWN at first, but after I gave it a few more hours, I loved it. I suggest you do the same with Gothic. As to NPCs with personality, there are Diego, Lester, Milten, Gorn, Cor Angar, Lee, and Mordrag just to name a few. As to Gothic 2, yes there are more women.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:09 am
NPCMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I realize why there are so many men. My problem is with NPC's. They are ALL boring! None of them seem even remotely interesting except for MUD. More than half the characters in the game are peasents, mercanaries, rogues, or whatever. Most characters in the Baldurs Gate and Fallout series had a personality, a family, a name, ect. Most characters in those games were life like. Gothic has boring, uninteresting NPC's, with LITTLE personality. Anyone agree? Also is Arcanum or Divine Divinity like the Baldurs Gate and Fallout games in terms of NPC's?
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:34 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Look to the NPCs with names, not the ones that are just labeled "Mercenery," "Shadow," or "guard."

Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:22 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there NPCMan,

I must agree with your "personality" bit a little, but a convict sat on a bench looking fed-up is exactly what he is, a fed-up convict, you couldn't get more realistic that that!
Don't dwell on this personality thing too much, get "into" the game and see if you can find the atmosphere as it must have been in those Gothic times.
Post Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:01 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Perhaps you havent played the game long enough to really see it's subtle charms.
For one, yes they are all convicts, and that can be limiting. The personality, I have found at least, seems more in the different camps themselves and how they and their denizens are different from the others. The Sect Camp is different than the Old Camp for example, and you will find Sect Camp personalities who wouldnt be caught dead in the New Camp. There are a few NPCs even standing around on the map here and there that are interesting and different. Yes, the dialogue perhaps isnt as extensive as BG, but then again the scope of the 3D world and freestyle nature of it is nothing like BG either. Its a give and take thing, this RPG business, and seldom does it just reach out and amaze you on all fronts. Beats the heck out of PnP, that's for sure.

Dont give up on the game too quickly now, we all cant be wrong
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:27 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

BG is a team-based game (and very good!). Gothic is a single player RPG. Other thing, you'll know the people from their decisions. They can speak you a lot any time, but if you play the game, and let it go, you'll see that almost everyone has a goal and does something. And so they are characteristic.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:29 pm
the_undertaker_05x
Village Leader
Village Leader

Location: Well... I live in Korinis but I'm plannig to go to the mainland with Hagen's ship.

and one more thing.. arcanum has more npc's but is not better than Gothic.. is not even 3d! (I like arcanum aniway) You cannot compare Gothic with arcanum or newerwinther nights, you can compare it with Morrowind and Arx Fatalis because they are 3d. It is not the npc's the only thing that makes Gothic great, is the enviroment too and the atmosfere...so if you don't like Gothic then just go and play super mario... maybe you'l like it, is has interesting npc's for you.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:41 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Now now, no need to get all confrontational. The man has a right to his oppinion (No matter how much I disagree with it).

My advice is pretty much the same as everyone else. Just give the game time. Its not packed to the britches with interesting NPC's. Most of them are generic ones. But the special characters are very interesting, especialy as the game goes on.

You realy need to experience the story to bring out their personalities.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:57 pm
the_undertaker_05x
Village Leader
Village Leader

Location: Well... I live in Korinis but I'm plannig to go to the mainland with Hagen's ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Now now, no need to get all confrontational. The man has a right to his oppinion (No matter how much I disagree with it).

My advice is pretty much the same as everyone else. Just give the game time. Its not packed to the britches with interesting NPC's. Most of them are generic ones. But the special characters are very interesting, especialy as the game goes on.

You realy need to experience the story to bring out their personalities.
no! he realy need to play super mario heheh... what the hell are you doing here if you don't like Gothic?
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:16 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its called the "Gothic - General" forum, not the "Gothic - Praise and Worship" forum.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:05 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Chekote- Praise and worship can be considered "General." "General" means stuff related to Gothic, regardless of what it is.

Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:22 pm
the_undertaker_05x
Village Leader
Village Leader

should't we all be friends here as we have a thing in comun I mean that we play Gothic and we like it? (except that one)
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:29 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
@Chekote- Praise and worship can be considered "General." "General" means stuff related to Gothic, regardless of what it is.

Exactly my point.
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:33 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@Chekote- Oh, sorry, I didn't read many of the posts before yours, so I thought you were trying to say the opposite of what you meant. Sorry!

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:43 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next