VtM: Bloodlines Unofficial v2.0 Patch Available @ 3D Gamers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

VtM: Bloodlines Unofficial v2.0 Patch Available @ 3D Gamers

You can snag the latest unofficial patch and patch notes at <a href="http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1096483750/" target="_blank">3D Gamers</a>.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:40 pm
mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hi all,

I just picked up Bloodlines on eBay. There seem to be quite a few gameplay changes (as well as bug-fixes) in this patch: Should I play through with or without this the first time?

Cheers, M.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:42 pm
Whip-0

I'd seriously recommend playing ANY game with the last official patch rather than with a hodge-podge mod/patch. I can't see why they don't set the changes as OPTIONAL if they keep bugfixing. There are always some changes one finds totally inane...
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:09 pm

mogwins
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Whip-0
I'd seriously recommend playing ANY game with the last official patch rather than with a hodge-podge mod/patch. I can't see why they don't set the changes as OPTIONAL if they keep bugfixing. There are always some changes one finds totally inane...

Yeah, that was my feeling too. I just wondered whether people who'd played the game thought the "mod" aspects were obvious enough to be to all intents and purposes "bugfixes", but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:33 pm
niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Often it's hard to say.....these days many games are released buggy and unfinished. It's not always good to assume that the official version was released that way because of some kind of artistic vision. Many times the official version was released the way it was because it was rushed out the door.

Pretty much anything released by Troika tends to fall into this category, as a result I couldn't criticize anyone too much for wanting to start off with a fan mod on this game. While there may be changes some would consider inane, it may be probable that they removed more inane things then they added.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:40 pm
Whip-0

To me, a mod is a mod and a patch is a patch. Design decisions may be crap at times, but they're NOT bugs. Changes and balances being made (changing npc's sexual orientation - wtf?) should always be optional and not forced on a player that just wants to play the game in a stable fashion. Adding lines that were not working properly and fixing crashes and bugs is great. Mixing them together is not.
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:49 pm

frinnick

believe me , you want to use this patch.
the game has unresolved issues not fixed before the company folded and the unofficial patches help.
other than that; one of THE if not THE most brilliant RPG yet
Post Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:06 pm

niteshade
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ultimately it's the decision of the fan weither they want to change "official" things or not when they mod and patch a game. Your not required to use it. To me it seems that any designer sloppy enough to require fans to make patches for their game will probably have their work improved by any fan changes.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:43 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

How come it seems only the BL patchers seem to catch the crap. People love the co8 and their mod/patches. No reason getting mad at people patching a game for free, even if they are trying to improve it while fixing it. Would you get mad at someone giving you free bread if they put peanutbutter on it? Not me, I love peanutbutter, especially chunky. Either way, like it or not, your mama's should of raised you with a little respect and graditute.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:30 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I can't believe this conversation, it is a joke right?

These guys starting with Danupright and currently Wesp5 and RobinHood70 have done huge amounts of work that helped this game overcome the huge obsticale called Activision.

Hell yes this patch helps the game, if you willing to listen to armchair critictics, whom only generalise, then you will lose opurtuity of getting the best gaming experience.

Every issue that was a considered a problem as been addressed or at least attempted, with the exception of Direct Engine Optiomisations which would require at least a SDK.

This game is still one of the BEST if not the best RPG of this year and last, even KotOR 2 suffered a poor ending (actually worst than Bloodlines).

Ignoring or belittling the massavie work these guys are doing for the RPG community is just ignorant.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:18 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'd say play the game through once with the latest official patch, then if you decide to replay the game, then use the unofficial patch. There's nothing that's so horribly broken in the game that requires the unofficial patch. However, it's always fun to see how some fans have tweaked the game to improve it. At least that's my two cents.
Post Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 am