Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
When does Roleplaying start to become Compromise?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

I avoid Wandering.
[/i]To avoid Leveling Up to quickly

I avoid Uber Spells.
To maintain a Challenge

I avoid Uber Weapons.
To maintain a Challenge

I avoid Uber Gear.
To maintain a Challenge

I
try to avoid the little Beasties.
To avoid Leveling Up to Quickly

I avoid over-stealing.
(With my Thief Character)
To maintain a Challenge

I avoid Enchanting.
To maintain a Challenge

I adhere to Strict Fantasy Standards.
(eg. Armour-less Mages/Thiefs, Mana-less Warriors/Rangers)
To maintain a Challenge

I adhere to the exact objective to any missions I accept.
To avoid Wandering which avoids Leveling Up

I had perfectly valid "Roleplaying" reasons for all the things... then one day it struck me... am I really Roleplaying or am I "Compromising" for the shortcomings of game.

I'm sad because I bought a Non-Linear Game and it almost seems as though I've had to Roleplay myself into a very small, very Linear role.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:01 am

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

You can play anyway you want.
The patch has a difficulty bar, you can make the game more difficult if you want.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:06 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

This is not meant as a flame or an insult but it sounds to me that you are not roleplaying but stereotyping - Manaless Ranger/Armourless Fighter. Not use "Uberweapons". The are the old school style (old AD&D) and something that neither Arena, Daggerfall or Morrowind have ever even attempted to do.

To me roleplaying is not about sticking to these rules but comes in as part of the Character Generation Process. For example I have one character who is a thief/assasin(& Killer) she will steal anything from anywhere, and will kill anyone who gets in her way (or who she feels like). However another character is a strict Imperial Knight - never steals, only kills when attacked (or is ordered to) and only joins "Imperial Guilds". But I decided to make him slightly racist against the Heathen Dark Elves and thus he has no quarms about "exploring" there tombs. Of the two the Thief makes for an "easier" game but both are fun to play.

I think you are being too hard on yourself by imposing other peoples rules on yourself. Start a new character but before you even start the game work out a background - you can have a mage in armour (just think how and why) and choose you skills in accordance to you char. My imperial has mercantile as a major skill even though I knew this could cause problems with resale. And as to not wandering - why not - sure you may level but if you are playing an explorer character that's what they do. And not using "Uber Weaps" - again why not - I know this may make the game seem easier so perhaps, as another poster said, the difficulty slider in the patch will free you to truely roleplay.

I hope this didn't come across as insulting - it certainly wasn't meant that way as I can see your point - I just think you need to be less stricct with yourself and have some fun with character development (For a really interesting challange play a Custom Monk who only uses Hand to Hand and Unarmoured - that can prove er.... interesting)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:24 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

Sounds like Off Topic absolutely.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 2:59 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
The patch has a difficulty bar, you can make the game more difficult if you want.

I take it you haven't used the increased difficulty option. Since it does absolutely jack shit for making the game harder. I loaded up my character, cranked the difficulty to the max and still killed enemies before they did any noticeable amount of damage. The only thing increasing the difficulty does it make it harder at the very early levels of the game, once you reach the normal "breaking" point, the game is broken no matter how hard you crank it. That breaking point is the moment you find deadric weapons, which if you truely feel like it, you can get a deadric dia-katana while you're still level 1.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:06 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Sounds like Off Topic absolutely.

Seems very ONTOPIC for Morrowind, but whatever. Move threads all day long and believe what you will. Knock yourself out.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:25 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

LOL. Ya the npc's may not put up much of a fight. But when you compare any game to another than you will always be disapointed.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:31 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

lordr31z, i disagree. i think it is only natural to compare games. what is wrong with being a little disappointed every once in a while? i think you should take a game and enjoy it for both its strengths & weaknesses. however, if a game truely blows a small pack of chimpanzees, well why can't you be a little disappointed (or, for that matter alot)?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:00 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Seems very ONTOPIC for Morrowind, but whatever. Move threads all day long and believe what you will. Knock yourself out.

It is back. Happy now?
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:54 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Beo
quote:

It is back. Happy now?

Beo - this boards last, best, hope for peace....... which failed (que dramatic music)

(Babylon 5 reference to anybody out there who thinks this is a flame)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:02 pm

if you ever found a perfect game, you should never check out any other games.
You will never have the perfect game.
Perfection is time dependend.
Meaning the level of perfection changes in time.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:51 pm

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

the previous post was me.
I lost my login with refresshing the page.
Strange never happende before.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:53 pm
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

If you are doing all that just to avoid levelling, than you are indeed compromising. Why does no one want to play an invincible hero anymore? Sigh
However, there is a number of mods out, both to increase difficulty and to slow down leveling (increasing the number of uses for skill levelling, I believe), maybe you should install one of those or tweak it for your purpose (assuming you have the PC version).
Or you could look for challenges beyond fighting that fit your role. The Invincibility effect is not unique to Morrowind, I remember it from many other RPGs.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:41 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
The Invincibility effect is not unique to Morrowind, I remember it from many other RPGs.

I've never seen it (the invincibility effect) as bad as in Morrowind before. And trust me, I have played a lot of RPG's.. Morrowind is THE most unbalanced game I have ever played, when playing with my style of game.

Which other RPGs are you thinking about? I can honestly not think of one, but my memory might fail me.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:50 pm
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by GhanBuriGhan
Why does no one want to play an invincible hero anymore? Sigh

All I can say is... amen
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:33 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next